What's new

Challenge PIF - Is Your Best Good Enough?!? - Closed!

In anticipation of this fine challenge, made possible by two very fine gentlemen, @Space_Cadet and @Grundi , I will be pitting this blade against a blade that I have used exclusively for the past 5 years. If you follow my postings you probably know which blade it is.
If not...
1679784084047.png
20230325_174036.jpg

The razor of choice, and since I use vintage Gillettes for the most part, will be the razor that provides one of the best shaves possible. That is, if the moron (me) operating the razor doesn't do something shtoopid.

Last edited:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have been thinking about this since I signed up, but with nearly 60 different blades I am still no closer to deciding which one to use for this challenge. If it's anything like as long lasting as the Schick we tried last year I could put the two up against each other. Well that would be the next four months sorted

I have been thinking about this since I signed up, but with nearly 60 different blades I am still no closer to deciding which one to use for this challenge. If it's anything like as long lasting as the Schick we tried last year I could put the two up against each other. Well that would be the next four months sorted

I am feeling the same. I have lots of great blades but a lot of them depend on the razor they are in. I'm kinda feeling like using a vintage blade from the same era.

I went through my blade stash today. I would like to see the backside of the PIF tucks. I have two kinds of vintage Polsilvers in the light brown/gold packaging. With the different writing on the back, one has a white box and the other has more words in Polish.

As far as my competition blade, I'm really thinking of the vintage Astra stainless blade. Otherwise I have one single remaining Iridium blade. It really is a tough competition!

I went through my blade stash today. I would like to see the backside of the PIF tucks. I have two kinds of vintage Polsilvers in the light brown/gold packaging. With the different writing on the back, one has a white box and the other has more words in Polish.

As far as my competition blade, I'm really thinking of the vintage Astra stainless blade. Otherwise I have one single remaining Iridium blade. It really is a tough competition!
Here the front and the back of the tuck. There is writing on the side "MADE IN POLAND", "WIZAMET", and "10 SZTUK". Apparently my phone up'd the yellow in the pics; but to my eyes, the actual tuck is a bit darker and more antique gold color.

WizPolsilver_Tuck_Front.jpg
WizPolsilver_Tuck_Back.jpg

The blades arrived today, nicely packed and ready to go. Thank you @Grundi.

My clear favorite DE blade, since I ran across them in 2019, has been the Wizamet Iridium Super. In the razors I usually reach for, the Wiz IRs are the
funnest blades for me, with more than enough closeness and efficiency, combined with ample smoothness and ease-of-use. I realize that blade longevity is a fun part of shaving for some and a matter of responsible economics for others, but longevity is not a big concern for me. That said, I typically get 3 or 4 shaves out of a Wiz IR before detecting any noticeable degradation, at which point I toss it. The blade is still easily useable at this point, just no longer in its prime. The thing is, they were available for 20¢ a blade when I was amassing my stash, and they are like as not to outlast me, so 3 or 4 shaves is enough.

At the time I started with Wizamets, there was ongoing discussion as to whether these blue-box Wizamets were better, worse, or the same as the older Polsilvers. I just listened respectfully, quietly wondering to myself what to believe, and I am grateful now to have these Polsilvers for comparison. I haven't quite settled on an experimental design, but for now, I'm going to make it easy on myself and alternate whole shaves. Last night I shaved with a blue box Wiz IR. Tonight, or possibly some time tomorrow, I will shave with a Polsilver, using the same brush, razor, and soap.

Thanks again @Grundi.

Wizamet Iridium Super.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hey brother @Grundi , the blades arrived in the mail today, I hope to test them tomorrow. I THINK that my pneumonia has turned into old monia, since I feel MUCH better today. The plan is to test them against Gillette Silver Blue, but possibly with a twist for the first shave: I have a GSB with over 50 uses that I might try it against for the first shave...

Blades arrived in Louisiana. Looking forward to giving them a test next to my favorite blades. Now which would those be? If I had any Schick blades left over from last year that would definitely be my #1, but vintage blades aren't easy to come by. So I'll be running them against KCGs and (you'll be surprised....wait for it...wait for it...) Tatra Platinums. I LOVE these blades. They don't have the name recognition of Gillettes and Astras, but I do love 'em.

Hey brother @Grundi , the blades arrived in the mail today, I hope to test them tomorrow. I THINK that my pneumonia has turned into old monia, since I feel MUCH better today. The plan is to test them against Gillette Silver Blue, but possibly with a twist for the first shave: I have a GSB with over 50 uses that I might try it against for the first shave...
We wait with bated breath your Holy Grail shave with the Gillette Silver Blue on the Golden Throne of Olympus.:yikes:
Don't forget the ARKO soap.!

Let the Challenge Phase Begiiiiiiiiiiin!!

Several Participants have received their blades and others will receive theirs over the next while!! Things are about to get...challenging!!

I just finished up a PearlMax, which will NOT be my Challenge Blade!! It set the bar nice and low (not a bad blade, just average for me)!! I'm still undecided between a GSB, KCG, or Astra SP!! I'm planning to start with the Wizamet Polsilver tomorrow morning in my vintage Slim at 4!!

Top Bottom