What's new

My "Ah-Ha!" Moments

Congratulations! I have a clone Feather SS western and an actual Feather SR kamisori. The SR nicely splits the difference between the SS and DX. I found head shaving with a western to be occasionally awkward but doable. With the kamisori it's much nicer.

As I recall. :) I kinda got away from naked blades after having troubles with ATG. You mighta just put your finger on my problem. Thanks!

O.H.

I had read that many prefer the SR since it doesn't have the "speed bump" on the leading edge. The SS probably requires a bit more pressure and more lift to engage the blade, but I was going for the training wheels option, and I got both the Kamisori SS and the Western SS for a steal from a member here.

No regrets, other than the SR version maybe being a better tool to prep me for an actual SR.

Regardless, the Feather seems to be a good shaver and a good tool to work on getting comfortable with handling an open blade razor.

You only get one strop so use it with care. Don't rush your stropping and concentrate!

Which brings a question:

How does one damage or nick a strop?...is it just carelessness/not paying close attention?...or other factors, like too much pressure?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The SS probably requires a bit more pressure and more lift to engage the blade

True. Which was a problem for me, as the surface I'm shaving curves radically away from the blade to begin with. Having to go extra-steep to get steel on skin led to nicking.

I was going for the training wheels option

It's not an AC barber razor, but the Focus Slim Al comes with built-in angle guides and (since it uses half-DE) it has corner guards as well.

O.H.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Which brings a question:

How does one damage or nick a strop?...is it just carelessness/not paying close attention?...or other factors, like too much pressure?
The only way to damage a strop is to move the blade on it in an edge leading motion or across the strop without any edge trailing motion. So yes, it is just carelessness and/or not paying attention. This carelessness/inattention most often happens when a beginner tries to go faster.

Stropping speed increase automatically comes with stropping experience. Do try to force it.

After over 1000 daily SR shaves, I am now stropping at about one lap (backwards and forwards) per second so stropping before each shave takes me about one minute.

The only way to damage a strop is to move the blade on it in an edge leading motion or across the strop without any edge trailing motion.
Not to be argumentative, but you did say the only way... but one of the leading ways is stop on the strop. Because of the tension, the razor will rebound slightly and go right into a leather strop! Sometimes the rebound is so tiny that you don't know what just happened. Yes, this is a denim strop so it might be less likely to get nicked.

The best thing to do is start out stropping on the spine only to practice the motions and especially hand position. Then, eventually, let the weight of the razor engage the blade while the razor is in motion. Always keep the razor moving or twist the blade away from the strop if you can't.

Well, this arrived today:

20230325_152434.jpg

Short story.

I ordered this weeks ago from Aliexpress, along with another Kamisori style. I thought I was getting the SR head, but this is a clone of SS, of which I obtained a genuine Feather razor. The Kamisori clone is more like the SR head, might be a clone of the Kai Kamisori.

Here's a pic of that one:

20230325_153822.jpg

It's hard to see, but the shaving edge is thinner on the Kamisori, which is what I wanted.

Anyway, that leaves me with this:

20230325_152818.jpg

A genuine Feather (black) and a clone (green).

I'm never going to use the green clone (though I like the color) so I am going to give it away, right here. I figure if you've put up with my torturous rambling and are, here I'll make it a "private" PIF rather than posting in the main forum. I could sell it but it's a $10 item.

So, first person that says "I want it" gets the Green Monster. CONUS only, sorry.

Last edited:
I really want to say the thing, but... I think somebody else who has less experience should get a chance to try it out. I have always wanted to know what the bulbous bow feels like, but never wanted to enough to buy one. Really nice PIF!

I really want to say the thing, but... I think somebody else who has less experience should get a chance to try it out. I have always wanted to know what the bulbous bow feels like, but never wanted to enough to buy one. Really nice PIF!

Up to you. I don't think many folks wander through here, so it might be here a while if you change your mind.

Tempted man. But I've got such a backlog of DE razors to explore I can't in good conscious add to it right now. My SE adventures are a year or two off yet I think.

Super generous of you!

Tempted man. But I've got such a backlog of DE razors to explore I can't in good conscious add to it right now. My SE adventures are a year or two off yet I think.

Super generous of you!

You know you want it...and no pressure to use it. It doesn't bother me what happens to it once it finds a new home. Use it in 7 days, 7 months, or never. 🙂

I have no plan to use it, so it's just gonna sit here.

Think about it. If nobody claims it by Monday, I'm going to move it to the main forum.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

Super generous of you!
I have a Kai Woody on the waiting list. Like you, I'll probably get to it in a couple years. ;) ... My DX clone I'm loaning to our youngest son next time I see him.

Well, this arrived today:

View attachment 1626916

Short story.

I ordered this weeks ago from Aliexpress, along with another Kamisori style. I thought I was getting the SR head, but this is a clone of SS, of which I obtained a genuine Feather razor. The Kamisori clone is more like the SR head, might be a clone of the Kai Kamisori.

Here's a pic of that one:

View attachment 1626918

It's hard to see, but the shaving edge is thinner on the Kamisori, which is what I wanted.

Anyway, that leaves me with this:

View attachment 1626919

A genuine Feather (black) and a clone (green).

I'm never going to use the green clone (though I like the color) so I am going to give it away, right here. I figure if you've put up with my torturous rambling and are, here I'll make it a "private" PIF rather than posting in the main forum. I could sell it but it's a $10 item.

So, first person that says "I want it" gets the Green Monster. CONUS only, sorry.

I'm going to move this PIF to the General Shaving Discussion forum, so it will be available there. This offer is closed here.

Warning, rant ahead.

I almost posted this in the General Shaving Forum, where it would reach a much larger audience, but thought better of it. Here is the entire post, pasted here, in my little corner of the forum:

"Not sure if this is appropriate or allowed but it does impact the US membership. It is intended to be informational. Please delete if deemed too political or inappropriate in any way.

The IRS has recently employed 87,000 new agents who's job (in part) will be to police internet sales in the US in the hope of generating tax revenue to pay for their $1.7 trillion American Rescue Plan.

The new law they will be enforcing is primarily aimed at small e-tailers who are selling "goods and services" on-line, and willfully evading paying their share of federal income tax - but it casts a wide net that snares many other unsuspecting folks. Call it "unintended consequences" if you like.

Starting this year, Ebay, PayPal, Venmo, and other providers of on line commerce are required to report aggregate sales in excess of $600 to the IRS, as part of the "American Rescue Plan". The personal exchange of money to "friends and family" does not count in the $600 total. (The old law was 200 transactions or $20,000 before reporting was required.)

So, how does the new law impact us?

Well, we are required to only use "Goods and Services" to buy and sell in the BST forum. That is the rule, and I am not disputing or arguing the rules.

Just be aware that if you sell more than $600 worth of stuff here, you will receive a tax form from PayPal and you will be taxed on that "income". Even if you are selling those items for less than you originally paid for them.

And if you think you can just casually "forget" to include the "income" on your tax filing, know that these transaction amounts will be reported by the service provider (Ebay, Etsy, Venmo, and Paypal) to the IRS, and your failure to include those amounts on you tax filing will (may?...could?) trigger an IRS audit.

Again, I'm not advocating that any member here violate the terms of sale here on the BST, or the prerogative of the site to stipulate those terms, just informing the US membership of their possible tax liability when selling items here (or Ebay, or Etsy, or Facebook...).

So, if you sell ONE $1000 Wolfman razor for the stunningly low price of $600, or Gillette Toggle for $2000, you are now considered a "business" and will put yourself on the IRS radar - and be required to pay taxes on that "income"

So if you don't mind the IRS hand in your pocket, no big deal...on the other hand...maybe it's time to consider trades only?"

Not really an Ah-Ha! moment, more of a "Gotcha!" moment.

Got bored yesterday so it was time to cook up some excitement...well...do something.

I have a pre-war Tech on display in my den. I generally put my user-grade dupes on display and tuck away the "good ones". I figure inquisitive guests may pick em up, drop em, or the may end up in the commode directly beneath the shelf.

20220819_125113.jpg

The Tech is the second from the left.

The cap has a lot of deep scratches and dents, though none of the plating is missing. It's like a lot of dents and long divots. Pretty beat up when viewed up close.

So, bored, I took the cap and sanded it with a progression of sandpaper, then polished it, then plated it.

It came out great, smooth and shiny, but now the handle looks like #@%&.

20230407_194346.jpg

Maybe tomorrow, it's supposed to snow anyway.

Got bored yesterday so it was time to cook up some excitement...well...do something.

I have a pre-war Tech on display in my den. I generally put my user-grade dupes on display and tuck away the "good ones". I figure inquisitive guests may pick em up, drop em, or the may end up in the commode directly beneath the shelf.

View attachment 1634341

The Tech is the second from the left.

The cap has a lot of deep scratches and dents, though none of the plating is missing. It's like a lot of dents and long divots. Pretty beat up when viewed up close.

So, bored, I took the cap and sanded it with a progression of sandpaper, then polished it, then plated it.

It came out great, smooth and shiny, but now the handle looks like #@%&.

View attachment 1634342

Maybe tomorrow, it's supposed to snow anyway.

That looks great!! Nice work!

Which brings a question:

One way that was relayed to me by my father was a family story of my grandfather who was a barber.

Apparently, one year on their last day open before closing for the Christmas period, my grandfather and the other barbers stayed back to have a few drinks. As he was saying farewell to the barbers and closing the shop a man approached desperate to have a SR shave. My grandfather under the influence of the Christmas cheer advised that this would not be a good idea and the shop was closed anyway. Persistent, the customer offered more money and pleaded for a shave.

My grandfather reluctantly relented and despite allowing the customer to come in made it clear he was not happy. He then got out the SR and went to strop it but under the influence and generally angry cut the strop clean in half by accident. This being the final straw many words were said and threats to deities made and when he turned to the client they were gone deciding perhaps that stubble was better than facing an angry barber with a SR.

I guess the moral is don't strop while drunk and angry.

Top Bottom