What's new

More CCW questions from the noob to you old timers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You made a great choice in the Sig P365X, I’m sure it will serve you well. In the big picture of things, that manual safety isn’t going to hurt anything; and if it makes you feel more confident carrying? Then it’s a good thing.

You can be every bit as fast on drawing and presenting your pistol with a manual safety as without. An extra step in your training isn’t going to hurt anything. I’m doing the same thing with my training and the 1911. :)

Which way are you leaning on the holster you want for it?

Looking at the Tenicor Certum. Designed for IWB including AIWB and allows for cant and ride height so I can experiment with different positions. Just my luck it’s all out of stock this month. Last few months all in stock.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Made it much easier having experienced input vs dubious YouTube sponsored video reviews.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Well finally tracked down a p365x online as locally they are still hard to find. Ended up with the Romeo Zero Elite model which included suppressor night sights and the Sig RDS for 170.00 extra.

I almost went with a g43x Mos as at 495.00 adding night sights and a better non-sig red dot would have been not a whole lot more expensive. In the end the ability to add a manual safety and the modularity is why I went with the P365. As a noob I though it best to learn with all the available training wheels, then later take ‘em off.
That’s a good choice.

I’ve carried a non-safety 365 with a 12 mag for a while now. Unless your threat is across a football field, the 365 has sufficient accuracy, and I greatly appreciate its easy weight with my sometimes arthritic fingers.

My 220 is permanently retired to the nightstand now. Just too heavy for me anymore.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Looking at the Tenicor Certum. Designed for IWB including AIWB and allows for cant and ride height so I can experiment with different positions. Just my luck it’s all out of stock this month. Last few months all in stock.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Made it much easier having experienced input vs dubious YouTube sponsored video reviews.

Tenicor? Is that StealthGear USA?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
So I was all set on a P365x

I read this single 8 word phrase then thought “ahh *^¥+* it” I don’t what he’s bout to ask. Just go with whatever the majority at B&B says.”

So yeah go with whatever the majority suggest . Or ask @joel

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I read this single 8 word phrase then thought “ahh *^¥+* it” I don’t what he’s bout to ask. Just go with whatever the majority at B&B says.”

So yeah go with whatever the majority suggest . Or ask @joel

Thanks, but all questions asked and answered lol. Ended up with the p365x

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Thanks, but all questions asked and answered lol. Ended up with the p365x

The 365x effectively solves the weighting and balancing quibbles that those of us with the original mainly fixed with the 12 mag.

If you are not used to a micro, it will still be prone to a bit of muzzle rise. So run at least a couple hundred rounds though it, not just to break it in, but to master that behavior.

If it's going to be a legit defensive carry, stick with one mag for the entire break in (to break in the mag), and that should be your carry mag. The 365 is fairly forgiving of most cartridges, but I would stick with brass for break in. Finish up the shakedown with your carry load, watch very carefully for jams on it, and you should be good to go. Sig has their own branded defense load for the 365, but mine behaves flawlessly on Federal LE loads. YMMV.

I apologize if I'm mentioning things you already know.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Not to unravel any settled choices, but the 365 series allows more holster options than some others IMO.

For me, being seated or driving has always been a consideration. Many waist systems are a PITA when harnessed in a vehicle. And if it's not on you, you are effectively unarmed. I used a Sky Cop with my 220 for many years to deal with that. But the 360 is so small and unobtrusive, it carries very easily in a light shoulder system ... which is how I carry mine. Like a Sky Cop, it's a cross draw, so takes getting used to.

Just food for thought.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I probably mentioned this in other threads, but my SIG 365 has not been very tolerant of reloaded ammo, even though my handloads passed cartridge gauge inspection and function fine in my other guns. Has worked flawlessly with factory ammo.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I probably mentioned this in other threads, but my SIG 365 has not been very tolerant of reloaded ammo, even though my handloads passed cartridge gauge inspection and function fine in my other guns. Has worked flawlessly with factory ammo.

Me too. I generally don't fire reloads in handguns, and never in a personal carry. Just a predisposition.

But a while back, my gunsmith warned me away from 9mm reloads in particular, as he has seen too many issues with it lately, especially in the smaller models.

Then he walked out to me a 9mm Glock that had double fired on reloads, exploding out the frame into the grip. He said that its owner had suffered permanent hand damage from the plastic shards blasting though some nerves. Proof enough.

The 365s, after the early revision, seem to be fairly dependable with quality factory loads. Although it's not a model I would plan on running tens of thousands of rounds through. It's well broken in at 250-300 rounds.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I put 2,500 rounds thru a P365 in about a years time when they first were introduced several years ago. While I sold it and purchased a Glock 43X, because of the longer grip, that P365 was very accurate and reliable and ease of carry a dream. I routinely, scored higher at 25 yards on police qual’s than many other officers using duty sized Glocks.

If Sig would have had their P365XL or their newer P365X back then? I probably would be carrying one of them and not a G43X.

But I do love my G43X. :)

I had issues with the 12 round magazines. The 10 and 15 round mags were fine but 2 12 rounders lot of failure to feed.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

Shucks, that’s no fun lol. What kind of malfunctions with the reloads?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Shucks, that’s no fun lol. What kind of malfunctions with the reloads?
Usually failure to feed, but not all that often. But often enough that I couldn't shoot reloads in any informal competition events, not without the time penalty of clearing malfunctions. I suspect the great accuracy of the P365 is partially due to a minimally dimensioned chamber. I would not hesitate to shoot reloads in target practice if the malfunction rate was low. YMMV

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Usually failure to feed, but not all that often. But often enough that I couldn't shoot reloads in any informal competition events, not without the time penalty of clearing malfunctions. I suspect the great accuracy of the P365 is partially due to a minimally dimensioned chamber. I would not hesitate to shoot reloads in target practice if the malfunction rate was low. YMMV

Thanks for the info. Shooting targets and steel for fun with a few malfunctions here and there I can live with.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I had issues with the 12 round magazines. The 10 and 15 round mags were fine but 2 12 rounders lot of failure to feed.

I hinted at this above. The mags need break in, too. Some 365 12 mags can exhibit a stiffer spring than the other capacities when new, depending on COO. A little too tight brand new for a smooth feed. Keep running rounds though it and/or let it sit fully loaded for a couple weeks, and the spring tension should permanently relax to where it needs to be. If you contact Sig, they'll tell you this.

If after a couple hundred rounds, any mag is still jamming up, they'll probably exchange it for you ... but then you'll have to break in again :001_smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom