What's new

Are hard / triple milled soaps generally more difficult to use with hard water? Are any hard soaps particularly good with hard water?

The water where I live is hard enough that I had to replace the cartridge in my shower handle because it had turned into a rock. I’ve never had any problems using MWF or Speick oddly enough

I have found that high fat content (super farted) soaps lather more poorly with hard water. My results improve with distilled water.
That might explain why Ariana & Evans and Noble Otter did poorly, not sure about Stirling, but B&M and Zingari were excellent and they are among the fattest / fartiest of them all.

The water where I live is hard enough that I had to replace the cartridge in my shower handle because it had turned into a rock. I’ve never had any problems using MWF or Speick oddly enough

Maybe we have different definitions of "problems" related to lather. I can get a lather out of them that can still provide a functional shave but it is not nearly as good as what I can get from others.

Maybe we have different definitions of "problems" related to lather. I can get a lather out of them that can still provide a functional shave but it is not nearly as good as what I can get from others.
Sometimes I wonder if it’s more the specific mineral content of the water than the “hardness” of the water in general. For example if person x lives in Lexington, Kentucky and person y lives in Charleston, West Virginia they both might have hard water but the dissolved minerals in the water are probably not the same or in the same concentrations. That could partially explain one person has a harder time getting a good lather than another

64EFCCB4-5107-48C1-898A-7DA369DBCD19.jpeg

@Dtownvino Things posted on the internet are forever…a gem of a post like yours isn’t going to vanish like a fart in the wind 😂.

I have hard water. So far the worst performing soap has been Musgo Real (old formulation). There was no way to make any lather. In hindsight I think it was the water. I had no idea that the quality of the water was such an important factor. If I did, I would have tried to use bottled water.

My well went hard years ago. I transitioned to distilled water, then just bottled water that lathered better/easier than distilled for whatever reason. And I decided to just figure out how to use my water.

Load more soap for hard water. I don’t remember the chemical process that requires it, but it’s been discussed all over here.

I use boar and badger brushes, and have no issue these days. It’s all about the ratios of soap to water. Traveling to soft water is a luxury these days.

And I use/keep MWF, Speick, Mike’s, and Hasslinger’s Aloe Vera (tallow & veggie formulas).

Lord more soap than you used to and you can figure out a quality lather

Replaced two toilets and had hard water stains within a month . Never really thought about lathering problems this may cause. Used distilled water to lather and soak my face a few times and there was a noticeable difference in the ease of lathering and shaving. It really softened the whiskers and the shave was really good. Easier to lather the soap as well.
Using bottled or distilled water was not sustainable for me and I just drive on using the water I have . I still get great shaves with no complaints.

Top Bottom