What's new

Wife is on a meat kick so I came up with a simple pemmican recipe. Not bad and shelf life = years.

I looked into the history as much as I could some time ago when I got into the carnivore thing

I know the American Indians used some dried berries on occasion but not always ? And they were ground up into powder also

this is a great read as has a couple actual quotes from journals of the time

This also was good but not sure of the facts to the info ? Again such a odd small topic :)
does mention the berries and nuts or things would be more a occasion or for the European tastes ? Which I would think would have been the case if done but have not found (or looked to hard) for actual old journal entries like the lewis and Clark article above about it in use or being made

Sure yours were a great snack though :) for current use if the wife does OK with nuts and loves em hats off to ya :)

I write poorly :) so also did not want to come across negative or preachy etc
I just love these kinda topics :) and talking story about the with folks

Not to hijack your thread but have you heard of dupuyer? I came across it in a mountain man book and have been fascinated with the concept. I have yet to try it, but I fully intend to. The passage from the book explained that dupuyer is the strips of fat from the back, dipped in grease and smoked. He went on to state that this was the indian equivalent of bread. They would eat small portions with their meal, and if you were a welcome guest to a teepee then the host would break dupuyer with you the same as a white man would break bread. He also mentions that a small amount was taken with hunting parties and they could travel a long time only needing a minimal amount.

Of course he fails to specify what the "grease" is that it is dipped into, but really for plains indians it would have to be rendered animal fat, most likely buffalo. I am planning to make my first attempt with elk fat in bacon grease and move on from there.

I looked into the history as much as I could some time ago when I got into the carnivore thing

I know the American Indians used some dried berries on occasion but not always ? And they were ground up into powder also

this is a great read as has a couple actual quotes from journals of the time

This also was good but not sure of the facts to the info ? Again such a odd small topic :)
does mention the berries and nuts or things would be more a occasion or for the European tastes ? Which I would think would have been the case if done but have not found (or looked to hard) for actual old journal entries like the lewis and Clark article above about it in use or being made

Sure yours were a great snack though :) for current use if the wife does OK with nuts and loves em hats off to ya :)

I write poorly :) so also did not want to come across negative or preachy etc
I just love these kinda topics :) and talking story about the with folks
Thanks for the link. The revelation that meat and fat are good for you is gaining credibility.

My wife is reporting positive anti-inflammatory results already after only a few months. One of the lingering effects of chemo 12 years ago is hip pain. She says it is noticeably better.

Tonight she cooked a roast then cut it up into bite sized pieces. Her whole meal was a coffee cup filled with meat and ghee, pure butterfat. Only other ingredient was salt on the meat. I had a few bites and am a convert. Came home hungry, ate a few pieces with the butter in a spoon, done. Sounds boring but it tastes great.

My nutty/fruity pemmican tastes better than her 50/50 but I'm cheating, she is not. She won't even eat a Cheerio and she used to love them. Heck when I met her she was eating raw oatmeal out of the box. No more.
Not to hijack your thread but have you heard of dupuyer? I came across it in a mountain man book and have been fascinated with the concept. I have yet to try it, but I fully intend to. The passage from the book explained that dupuyer is the strips of fat from the back, dipped in grease and smoked. He went on to state that this was the indian equivalent of bread. They would eat small portions with their meal, and if you were a welcome guest to a teepee then the host would break dupuyer with you the same as a white man would break bread. He also mentions that a small amount was taken with hunting parties and they could travel a long time only needing a minimal amount.

Of course he fails to specify what the "grease" is that it is dipped into, but really for plains indians it would have to be rendered animal fat, most likely buffalo. I am planning to make my first attempt with elk fat in bacon grease and move on from there.
Got me curious. Will look it up. Very interested to hear your results.

EDIT: Can't find a whiff of info on the stuff of which you speak. Sounds interesting.

I truly never miss anything :) the few odd times I say OK and have a bite I actually do not like it such as a bite of pizza or something which is rare I do

but I never get bored of meat at all :)

my recent thing to is chuck roast then browned in bacon grease like say 1/4 cup then cooked in that amount in a instant pot and shredded I prefer the instantpot flavor over slower cooked as it retains more a steak type meat flavor than when cooked long :) and the bacon grease gives just enough flavor to bring it up a notch

today was a nice ribeye though and still my fav steak

I truly never miss anything :) the few odd times I say OK and have a bite I actually do not like it such as a bite of pizza or something which is rare I do

but I never get bored of meat at all :)

my recent thing to is chuck roast then browned in bacon grease like say 1/4 cup then cooked in that amount in a instant pot and shredded I prefer the instantpot flavor over slower cooked as it retains more a steak type meat flavor than when cooked long :) and the bacon grease gives just enough flavor to bring it up a notch

today was a nice ribeye though and still my fav steak
After 30+ years of marriage during which I rarely ate anything substantial for breakfast, things have definitely changed. I fried a Bubba Burger and 2 eggs in 3 tablespoons of butter. I still had my kefir smoothie made with fruit and my home cultured kefir plus a scoop of whey protein. I will probably have a couple pieces of our home make jerky for a snack later tonight. One thing is sure: a diet high in fat and protein keeps hunger away for a long time during the day.

About to go for a 20 minute session on the Max Trainer at near max resistance.

Fyi: I've been piling on the fat and protein while reducing (somewhat) carb intake for a couple months, but have not gained a single pound.

Last edited:
Yeah on the satiates ya big time :) I also like it as I just eat one good meal and only if I am hungry a touch more but its easier to cook for me once a day and often its so simple easy and clean up is the
for me at least that satiated feel also is that of just feeling full in a good way not that OH I cant move way

funny thing about working out hard is I never bonk anymore and I have insane recovery of my youth where I can get up and going the next day with little to no issues :)
once I got over 50 doing hard work got much harder and had longer recovery so that again was a happy surprise

I would say try the meat salt water only for 3 months and see what happens :) my subtle push :) ahhahahaahha
but could help the joint pains as it did me

I recently decided to cut out dairy for the last 3 months and dropped about 7 lbs for my avg weight so instead of +/- of 180lbs been at 173 +/- now which is interesting and can say I feel a touch better even

Had one of my friends of about 10 yrs ask me if I miss anything and whats strange is I really dont but I still cant wait for a steak
I have memories of eating some foods I liked but I also never drank booze or smoked or even drank soda all the time the only thing I was addicted to ya could say was my espresso which I did miss but when I quit I now do not crave it at all or have any care to have any :) the old dog new tricks kinda thing I guess

And congrats for the 30+ yrs I am just over the 25 yr mark now did not meet my honey till I was in my mid 30s

I would say try the meat salt water only for 3 months and see what happens :) my subtle push :) ahhahahaahha
but could help the joint pains as it did me
No fat except what's in the meat? Doesn't the extra fat keep the kidneys up to snuff from all the protein they have to process?

No fat except what's in the meat? Doesn't the extra fat keep the kidneys up to snuff from all the protein they have to process?
Youtube Dr Chaffee (he is a resident neurosurgeon American in Australia):) he has some good vids and has covered that a few times he does not do extra fat some of his guests have mentioned the higher fat ?
also Ken Berry has some good info I think he is more in the eat the fatty meat

Kelly Hogan the my zero carb life gal on YT has went hight fat recently with good results but she also ate just burgers most the time in her long carnivore career she has some interesting non doctor just long time doing this experience also

my feeling the fat intake is kinda personal and we all just need to play with it and find our sweet spot
as many say you will just pass it through if you take in to much and you can notice that

I do think some jump on to high of fat cause its working for others for some reason without knowing why they are doing it

so yeah just start with fat on the meat and see how ya feel if we are talking ribeye and chuck
maybe after a month throw a chunk of butter on for flavor for two weeks and see how ya feel then stop for two weeks see how ya feel is kinda what I did early on and found I was loosing more and feeling better with the more butter

if NY or lean burger I do think a bit of some extra fat would be needed for sure though and again does not have to be just butter

the high fat I do think can also come into play in a more a therapeutic way of healing for some and some docs say this also (meaning going into the %80 range)

the fat is just pure fuel and not as much about the kidneys needing to handle protein lots of bad info still floating around sadly around some of those thoughts (not discounting rabbit poisoning or eating insane lean meats but we are not talking that)

tonight I had LEAN chuck steak and maybe 3Tb of butter(again was thin cut and quite lean very little fat) just to kinda top off the meal after I was done I waited maybe 15 min and just kinda ate some till I felt good as in had a chunk waited 10 min and had another chunk this has worked for me but am in pretty good tune with myself eating this way these days :)

Chaffee has said when you are full you tend to think OK this is not tasting great your bodies way of saying full
I notice this some
if you graze is it habit or maybe not enough fat intake ? or just not eating enough ? again we just have to experiment with it

but many times a super fatty ribeye or super fatty chuck I can tell I am good and do not need any extra butter and ate this way A LOT and still do

hope that brain dump of thoughts helps some :)

Youtube Dr Chaffee (he is a resident neurosurgeon American in Australia):) he has some good vids and has covered that a few times he does not do extra fat some of his guests have mentioned the higher fat ?
also Ken Berry has some good info I think he is more in the eat the fatty meat

Kelly Hogan the my zero carb life gal on YT has went hight fat recently with good results but she also ate just burgers most the time in her long carnivore career she has some interesting non doctor just long time doing this experience also

my feeling the fat intake is kinda personal and we all just need to play with it and find our sweet spot
as many say you will just pass it through if you take in to much and you can notice that

I do think some jump on to high of fat cause its working for others for some reason without knowing why they are doing it

so yeah just start with fat on the meat and see how ya feel if we are talking ribeye and chuck
maybe after a month throw a chunk of butter on for flavor for two weeks and see how ya feel then stop for two weeks see how ya feel is kinda what I did early on and found I was loosing more and feeling better with the more butter

if NY or lean burger I do think a bit of some extra fat would be needed for sure though and again does not have to be just butter

the high fat I do think can also come into play in a more a therapeutic way of healing for some and some docs say this also (meaning going into the %80 range)

the fat is just pure fuel and not as much about the kidneys needing to handle protein lots of bad info still floating around sadly around some of those thoughts (not discounting rabbit poisoning or eating insane lean meats but we are not talking that)

tonight I had LEAN chuck steak and maybe 3Tb of butter(again was thin cut and quite lean very little fat) just to kinda top off the meal after I was done I waited maybe 15 min and just kinda ate some till I felt good as in had a chunk waited 10 min and had another chunk this has worked for me but am in pretty good tune with myself eating this way these days :)

Chaffee has said when you are full you tend to think OK this is not tasting great your bodies way of saying full
I notice this some
if you graze is it habit or maybe not enough fat intake ? or just not eating enough ? again we just have to experiment with it

but many times a super fatty ribeye or super fatty chuck I can tell I am good and do not need any extra butter and ate this way A LOT and still do

hope that brain dump of thoughts helps some :)
Wife is into the grass fed which has less fat so maybe she hit the right mix. Much to vary but you can stay within the positive effects range without too much trouble it seems.

good grass fed is naturally such good quality many thrive on :)

forgot who the gal was but she was a guest on another youtuber carnivore but she was a insane shape athlete carnivore a couple years thrived best on NY strip no extra fat ? :)

I do think we just all need to carve our own path and test know what works for us :)

I tried grass fed and did not notice much but that was early on ?
also had a bunch of grass fed goat (not a huge fan of goat)

want to test again maybe inch out that last %
I did get some good grass fed ground about 40 lbs recently
and really just need to get a local grass fed half or full cow and ask for all the extra fat and bones to make bone broth etc.. but might be after we do some house work and finish paying our kids college ! hahahaha

bet its going to be interesting to see how she is doing in another 6 months or 1yr mark :)

good grass fed is naturally such good quality many thrive on :)

forgot who the gal was but she was a guest on another youtuber carnivore but she was a insane shape athlete carnivore a couple years thrived best on NY strip no extra fat ? :)

I do think we just all need to carve our own path and test know what works for us :)

I tried grass fed and did not notice much but that was early on ?
also had a bunch of grass fed goat (not a huge fan of goat)

want to test again maybe inch out that last %
I did get some good grass fed ground about 40 lbs recently
and really just need to get a local grass fed half or full cow and ask for all the extra fat and bones to make bone broth etc.. but might be after we do some house work and finish paying our kids college ! hahahaha

bet its going to be interesting to see how she is doing in another 6 months or 1yr mark :)
She is already feeling the positive effects. I have to admit I was surprised even though the science behind the meat diet seems sound. After all we have all been brainwashed for decades by the food industry and their partners in the government promoting the opposite of what we actually need. But hey, radium on your teeth looks cool and it won't hurt you, cigarettes are good for you, asbestos is great, etc. I should not be surprised.

She is already feeling the positive effects. I have to admit I was surprised even though the science behind the meat diet seems sound. After all we have all been brainwashed for decades by the food industry and their partners in the government promoting the opposite of what we actually need. But hey, radium on your teeth looks cool and it won't hurt you, cigarettes are good for you, asbestos is great, etc. I should not be surprised.
YUP on the brainwashed

(just repeating my thoughts like yours mentioned)
also when you follow the money to so many of these reports or findings its by big companies that are pushing the package food

the fact the recent findings are things like sugar coated cereal of a certain brand is healthier than eggs or meat :) they are not even hiding it

the other lies about even veggies is that most of the nutrition is not bioavailable and they boost the numbers and reduce those in meat ?
its truly insane the lies we are being pushed sadly

the smoking the fact they used to push smoking as healthy ! and they were in the peak of knowledge at that time and I tell that to folks and we will look back at today and realize how wrong the current food pyramid is

same with the fat free craze of the 80s +/- that time frame
just load it up with sugar instead and that is happening today with so called coffee drinks and so on

its interesting now how I read the ingredients and even most sausage I wont eat or any packaged food etc..

one thing I am looking into more is the root canal issues and why some are saying they are so bad ? and the argument makes sense I have like 4 or 5 root canals from bad eating early on but some of the doctors/dentists speaking out against them have a solid argument that makes sense

glad your wife is getting positive feelings !

forgot that old movie maybe 70s where if you had these glasses you could see all the aliens ? but almost reminds me of that with the way I am eating how I read labels and talking to friends that are big time out of shape and they refuse to believe ?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Unless its grain free its not “keto” unless its a almond flour or coconut version ?

I've been doing keto for ... golly, about a decade now? Lots of benefits.

IMHO, recollecting all I learned about keto over the years, you don't have to be 100% grain-free. But you do have to reduce the refined carbs as much as possible, and keep the total net carbs way low (depends on the individual but say 20g--50g per day is common) so as not to get bumped out of ketosis.

I'm used to the whey protein/kefir/fruit smoothies and don't think I can give them up. How bad is it in relation to the goodness of grass fed beef and fat?

Where I've gotten to now on my own dietary journey, is I go back and forth between keto and non-keto on a regular basis. The theory is that the body maintains a certain amount of "metabolic flexibility" to easily switch between carbs and ketones as preferred fuel. You may want to look into that, and have your smoothies during your "non-keto" phases.

I started keto so kinda had a few months of training cutting out the stuff so the cravings when I went to carnivore were already kinda gone !

Anyone out there thinking of starting keto or carnivore diet ... at first, you do notice some withdrawal symptoms as you "kick the carb habit", but soon enough you lose that craving and don't mind not having doughnuts and so forth.

some of that keto/carnivore ice cream and would kinda notice after I ate that I should not have usually kinda hit the gut like a cramp and some histamine response and some brain fog and sometimes even notice joint pain coming back a touch after sleeping

A lot of those "keto-friendly" processed foods (especially the dessert-oriented ones) can often have a lot of questionable ingredients that technically won't add "too many" carbs to the food, will help with taste/texture of the item (and/or act as a preservative) ... but it's still not the best for you and can have unpleasant results especially if you eat more than the smallest portion ...

I can say shaving might have taken place of my espresso ritual of the morning

1679957531551.png

forgot that old movie maybe 70s where if you had these glasses you could see all the aliens ? but almost reminds me of that with the way I am eating how I read labels and talking to friends that are big time out of shape and they refuse to believe ?

Well, just make sure you keep bubblegum out of your diet.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Oh ... and in case anyone is curious to try this sort of thing but doesn't want to go to all the time and effort of the D-I-Y version ...

Satisfied customer here.

Bubblegum?

Thanks for the link! I'm going to order some to get ideas for making it at home. Looks good but at $90 per pound... I'll reverse engineer it. :)

Rats! Only ships to Canada. :(

I've been doing keto for ... golly, about a decade now? Lots of benefits.

IMHO, recollecting all I learned about keto over the years, you don't have to be 100% grain-free. But you do have to reduce the refined carbs as much as possible, and keep the total net carbs way low (depends on the individual but say 20g--50g per day is common) so as not to get bumped out of ketosis.

Where I've gotten to now on my own dietary journey, is I go back and forth between keto and non-keto on a regular basis. The theory is that the body maintains a certain amount of "metabolic flexibility" to easily switch between carbs and ketones as preferred fuel. You may want to look into that, and have your smoothies during your "non-keto" phases.

Anyone out there thinking of starting keto or carnivore diet ... at first, you do notice some withdrawal symptoms as you "kick the carb habit", but soon enough you lose that craving and don't mind not having doughnuts and so forth.

A lot of those "keto-friendly" processed foods (especially the dessert-oriented ones) can often have a lot of questionable ingredients that technically won't add "too many" carbs to the food, will help with taste/texture of the item (and/or act as a preservative) ... but it's still not the best for you and can have unpleasant results especially if you eat more than the smallest portion ...

View attachment 1628146

on the ice cream or any keto food in a package IMHO is just packaged food with a dif name and should be avoided :)
for 3+ yrs now and do not miss anything and prefer the feeling I am now !

the ice cream I would make was just cream and some vanilla maybe and often just cream on its own but no sweetener so more keto/carnivore friendly not keto packaged but did have that when I started keto and only did it twice one I read the ingredients and agree way to much in those that is not or should not be :)
still use butter/ghee or browned butter so kinda touch a dairy in that sense

I just think its the dairy (milk/cream) and recently having quit cheese (4+ months now) feeling much better with no cheese or cream did have some cheese last month and noticed a reaction to it will try again next month but with some goat cheese as I did better with that or A2 if I can find it ? but even then would be more to know than to want to continue eating it

fun to hear others stories for sure 10 yrs is a good time :)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My wife is on a meat and fat diet. 50% grass fed ruminating animal meat, and 50% fat or clarified butter. No sugar or carbs of any kind. She is not overweight though. Apparently she found out that we have been lied to for decades. The food pyramid is upside down. Carbs kill, red meat and fat are good for us. If you don't believe it look around at all the type 1 diabetes. inflammatory issues, and other metabolic disorders folks are experiencing in the last few decades since red meat and fat were condemned.

The following recipe is a food that you can live on with nothing else but water. Energy dense. A 4 oz. serving packs up to 1,000 calories and all the nutrients you need to survive and thrive.

HDSledge's Pemmican Recipe

Measure by weight, not volume.

3 parts beef powder (Grass fed shoulder roast is a good choice. NO feedlot/grain fed beef.)
2 parts Wagyu beef tallow. 50/50 beef/fat is traditional mix but fruit portion helps with flavor. (Any grass fed beef fat rendered down into tallow is gtg.)
1 part powdered blueberries/cranberries/cherries/strawberries. Strawberries leave a slight berry taste after the flavor of the meat has subsided.

Slice meat thin and sprinkle on a good bit of salt, it helps to preserve it. Dry at 120 degrees until crispy/crunchy, very dry. Blend/food process into a fine powder. Same with the fruit. Low heat is important since it preserves the nutrients.

Melt the tallow on low heat. Throw the powders into a bowl, drizzle on the fat while mixing well. Mash it all together, spread out in a pan. Cool in the fridge. Cut into squares or bars.

Lasts forever in the freezer, 5 years or so at room temperature. (Unless you left some moisture in the ingredients. Remember that everything must be bone dry when you add the fat.)
I am on a barbecue diet. It consists of pork ribs, brisket, and pulled pork. My doctor said your cholesterol is in the normal range and you’re Healthy as a damn horse. He told me to eat more eggs.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I noticed egg prices are starting to come down here in middle TN. Picked up a dozen for $2.29 the other day.
There are a few things that I do not skimp on; One is eggs and the other is beef. I get my eggs at the farmers market here in Austin. They are fabulous, but not cheap at 10 bucks a dozen. No I am not squeamish about it.

Top Bottom