What's new

Tea Tree oil? Good, bad, overhyped, or ...

Tea Tree oil is mentioned a lot for use by soldiers and is an ingredient in some shave products. Tea Tree oil seems to be super expensive as well but, I got some from a local CVS store to try.

Is this something I should mix with my shave cream or moisturizer? Initially, I'm thinking of putting a few drops into my 80mL spray bottle of Witch Hazel.

For users of Tea Tree oil, how do you use it and what does it do for you? Or, what Tea Tree oil containing products do you use and what benefits do you notice compared to other similar products?

Lastly, for Tea Tree oil users, where do you get quality oil at a more modest price than I see at shops where I normally shop and where I found some online?

TIA,
Sid

I mix it with witch hazel that is then used as an after-shave splash. I add 6 drops per fluid ounce (approximately 30 mL) of witch hazel.

I based my ratio on recommendations and warnings found when researching the use and benefits. I didn't know who or what to believe, so I referenced several different sources and came up with what I considered to be a safe amount for my use. I actually started with a lower ratio and increased it gradually until I approached the recommended max.

Does it help? I hope so. The only way for me to find out is to stop using it, but I suspect the 1 ounce bottle will last for quite some time. I found it on a shelf in the closet in 2020 and there's still more than half remaining.

Good luck.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It's antiseptic
I believe/think it has antifungal properties as well..... can't remember where I read that, and my slowly bleeding brane may have made it up....

I can attest to this: I am still licensed as a Cosmetologist, and years ago Paul Mitchell products were MUCH cheaper at wholesale, so I started using his Tea Tree Special Shampoo both professionally and personally.

I developed psoriasis in/around my eyelids. I started using that shampoo in the shower and would lather it up on my CLOSED (lol) eyes.... Within a few weeks the psoriasis was gone, and anytime I had a flare up I was quick to use the method...werked a charm!

*I'm still licensed as an RN, so none of this is medical advice or intended for education! Just passing along some of my 45 years of experience!*

I'm not a huge proponent of "essential oils" but I have found Tea Tree oil to be a big help to me. Stinks to high heaven, but it keeps people away from me when I want to be left alone, which is probably a good way to limit my exposure to them, which is probably good for their mental health!

I have used Tea Tree Oil shampoo for years for my dry scalp. As a pre-shave routine, I often wash my face with it while in the shower. I also have a bar of Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree Oil soap, which I take camping with me. I'm convinced it helps keep bugs away from me. I've even been known to wash my camping clothes and gear with it.

That said, I just may be imagining it all.

I can attest to this: I am still licensed as a Cosmetologist, and years ago Paul Mitchell products were MUCH cheaper at wholesale, so I started using his Tea Tree Special Shampoo both professionally and personally.

I developed psoriasis in/around my eyelids. I started using that shampoo in the shower and would lather it up on my CLOSED (lol) eyes.... Within a few weeks the psoriasis was gone, and anytime I had a flare up I was quick to use the method...werked a charm!

*I'm still licensed as an RN, so none of this is medical advice or intended for education! Just passing along some of my 45 years of experience!*
First, I promise, no lawyers or public scorn for passing along your personal observations to me!

With "ERROR'NET" research on any topic, it is hard to believe 99% of what you read about anything remotely related to health and medicine. In the "West", we generally tend to look for a pill or some expensive pharmacy solutions for most OTC needs. Your Psoriasis observation is something I was curious about based on some of what I read online. I realize each of us has different underlying causes for most skin conditions but, this is something I could use a little help with occasionally. I have tried all sorts of lotions and creams, some of which work better than others.

If my Witch Hazel and Tea Tree oil combination works well for my post-shave use, I would definitely try it on some Foot or Jock itch while camping, or on my hands when they are suffering from the wet windy weather. Your observations suggest this is probably worth trying in my case.

I'm not a huge proponent of "essential oils" but I have found Tea Tree oil to be a big help to me. Stinks to high heaven, but it keeps people away from me when I want to be left alone, which is probably a good way to limit my exposure to them, which is probably good for their mental health!
Essential oils and various wax emulsions seem super trendy today. Like you, I'm not a huge advocate but, I find it hard to believe there aren't some "good" essential oils and herbs being drowned out by shouting voices hawking modern "snake oil".

Lavender and Camomile are two that I find are beneficial to myself. Tea Tree oil is the new one I'm trying to learn about.

For a significant portion of my life, I was all about the pharmaceutical solutions hawked by big commercial concerns and then I found myself really sick in Germany. While healthcare there wasn't like India or Asia with local cures, it really opened my eyes to different ways to treat me. Turns out I had a really bad case of Campylobacter Jujuni from the dairy room floor that nearly killed me. I was super healthy at the time so, that combined with heavy electrolyte use (prescription level not, Gatorade style drinks), and some relatively minor antibiotics, I recovered and few weeks later I regained the 40% of my body weight I lost though, my stamina was still a bit weak for a couple of months.

For anyone with serious medical health issues like this, SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP! I could easily have died without the awesome "food prescription" and electrolytes I was given! It also was a clear demonstration, that a hospital ICU with medical flogging was not the only option that would work for me. Don't self-treat with something like this because I ain't kidding, it can kill you.

In terms of smell, I like my PERSONAL SPACE so, this sounds like another solid reason for me to start using it!

Last edited:
It’s very effective against acne.

I could have used that ~4 decades ago! Thankfully, after puberty, Acne has been a thing in the past for me. And, I don't have any adult friends with Acne issues as adults whether due to stress, pregnancy, or any other issue.

Today, if I had acne, I would be all over Tea Tree oil along with the more common OTC treatments.

Any particular brand that isn't super spendy?

Coal dust or coal tar shampoo is awesome for dandruff too!
The Bellisso brand has a sale on Amazon right now--a 16 oz bottle of shampoo plus 16 oz bottle of conditioner for $20 plus tax (if applicable).

I remember about 8 years ago paying $30 for just the shampoo. That deal's a steal so I bought it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
First, I promise, no lawyers or public scorn for passing along your personal observations to me!

With "ERROR'NET" research on any topic, it is hard to believe 99% of what you read about anything remotely related to health and medicine. In the "West", we generally tend to look for a pill or some expensive pharmacy solutions for most OTC needs. Your Psoriasis observation is something I was curious about based on some of what I read online. I realize each of us has different underlying causes for most skin conditions but, this is something I could use a little help with occasionally. I have tried all sorts of lotions and creams, some of which work better than others.

If my Witch Hazel and Tea Tree oil combination works well for my post-shave use, I would definitely try it on some Foot or Jock itch while camping, or on my hands when they are suffering from the wet windy weather. Your observations suggest this is probably worth trying in my case.
I do know that the best one can hope for is to keep fungi at bay, you will never truly win. Tea Tree does what it does by making the fungi uncomfortable. Fungi like warm, moist environments. I'm reminded of "jungle rot".... So if you make the environment an uncomfortable one, fungi leaves.

Top Bottom