What's new

Is Gillette Gillette?

I switched to SR shaving 12 yrs ago, but with my boys growing up I'm looking at what I will introduce them to when they get old enough to shave. I think a DE Safety would be a good bet as something more meaningful than a cartridge razor and maybe not as intimidating as a SR.

That being said, my big question is wondering if the Gillette safety razor is the same company as the cartridge ones? I would assume so, but I also see things about "King Gillette" and not sure if these are all the same or not. In short, after the cartridge Gillette ran their woke anti-masculine campaign somewhere around 6-8yrs ago, I will not support them and I don't know if that applies to the Safety Razor company or not.

Hi rawknives, go for Merkur! 34C and Progress. 34C is very mild, ideal to start, Progress is more agressive and ajustable, ideal to progress. Both those razors are currently produced but they were designed around 70 years ago. A longevity record for mass production!

I switched to SR shaving 12 yrs ago, but with my boys growing up I'm looking at what I will introduce them to when they get old enough to shave. I think a DE Safety would be a good bet as something more meaningful than a cartridge razor and maybe not as intimidating as a SR.

That being said, my big question is wondering if the Gillette safety razor is the same company as the cartridge ones? I would assume so, but I also see things about "King Gillette" and not sure if these are all the same or not. In short, after the cartridge Gillette ran their woke anti-masculine campaign somewhere around 6-8yrs ago, I will not support them and I don't know if that applies to the Safety Razor company or not.
Techically yes, but remember that classic brands like Gillette are just names now, which are bought up by huge conglomerates like Monopoly pieces.

Proctor & Gamble bought the Gillette name years ago, so Gillette's independent existence disappeared in the early 2000's. The same with the American Safety Razor Company, Personna, Wilkinson Sword all bought up by bigger fish.

That's why I don't blame Gillette for any 'woke' nonsense. This was dictated to them by conglomerate virtue signalling. You will be hard pressed to find any conglomerate brand name that has not gone 'woke' out of fear of upsetting a tiny minority.

Last edited:
Techically yes, but remember that classic brands like Gillette are just names now, which are bought up by huge conglomerates like Monopoly pieces.

Proctor & Gamble bought the Gillette name years ago, so Gillette's independent existence disappeared in the early 2000's. The same with the American Safety Razor Company, Personna, Wilkinson Sword all bought up by bigger fish.

That's why I don't blame Gillette for any 'woke' nonsense. This was dictated to them by conglomerate virtue signalling. You will be hard pressed to find any conglomerate brand name that has not gone 'woke' out of fear of upsetting a tiny minority.
Are you sure they haven’t gone asleep?

This.
From shaving to the guitar business and media (Disney/ESPN/ABC/Marvel, etc.) and dozens of others, far too many companies are simply cogs in huge wheels nowadays. The name remains the same but the product doesn't. They cut corners and, yes, too often lean "woke" to placate a tiny group of people because the Huge Conglomerate has deemed that it makes sense ... even if it doesn't.
I'm amazed when I look at blades like Astra, for instance, when I see the Proctor & Gamble logo on the package. P&G/Gillette's fingers are everywhere in the blade business but as others have said, they only produce one safety razor and it's not made here but in Russian and China from what I understand, yet another sad example of the U.S. losing its manufacturing base.
But luckily, the name lives on. And they still make great blades, even if they're made in Russia, China, India or Thailand, and the name still stands for quality.

P+G marketing seems to be rather schizophrenic. They push Gillette product commercials exclusively to the woke crowd, but their Old Spice advertisements are filled with anti-snowflake messaging. I suppose they are betting that all the wokesters would rather smell like cucumbers.

Hi,

All they have done is use more of Gillette's name. Gillette being his last name. King being his first name. The C stands for Camp, his middle name. I suppose it's simply to differentiate the new DE stuff from the older....

Stan

Hi rawknives, go for Merkur! 34C and Progress. 34C is very mild, ideal to start, Progress is more agressive and ajustable, ideal to progress. Both those razors are currently produced but they were designed around 70 years ago. A longevity record for mass production!
I back this up as well.
I stated with Merkur 33C (pretty similar to 34C and they share the same head) and now upgraded to Merkur Progress.

Top Bottom