What's new

Anyone know anything about Flic Razors?

I was given a straight razor in its original box that used to belong to my grandfather. It says "Flic" Razor No. 511, made in Germany. On the box it also says Specially made for Messrs. Teckchand Essardas Marriot Road, Karachi. I don't know anything about straights and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this brand or specific razor and if its nice razor or a piece of junk, etc. I can post pictures later if needed. I don't have any straight razor supplies like a strop and I also heard about honing it which I don't know much about, so I doubt I will be using it but I did want to find out more about it. Thanks.

It's German, so it's probably good steel, and it belonged to your Grandfather which makes it totally worth using.

Don't dismiss the idea of using it, you can get it honed up for very little money, and a cheap strop would carry you the rest of the way for a little while. There is nothing cooler than shaving with a family heirloom.

Here are some pictures of the razor. Any ideas on how to get the black stuff on the blade off? Do you think the area around the F on the Flic on the blade is worn off or can it be fixed (see last image)? Anyone ever seen a straight like this or know if its any good? Thanks.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Gold wash.... oooh.

Yeah that's a nice razor regardless of whether or not anyone here has heard of it. It looks like you'll be shaving with a straight at some point :biggrin:.

Gold wash.... oooh.

Yeah that's a nice razor regardless of whether or not anyone here has heard of it. It looks like you'll be shaving with a straight at some point :biggrin:.

Anything I need to know about the gold wash & is that just the gold part with the logo? Will certain cleaners or polish take off the finish or anything like that? I want to clean it up and remove the black stuff off the blade if possible. The gold part with the Flic lettering has some wear on it, do you think the gold wash is wearing off or can it be fixed?

Anything I need to know about the gold wash & is that just the gold part with the logo? Will certain cleaners or polish take off the finish or anything like that? I want to clean it up and remove the black stuff off the blade if possible. The gold part with the Flic lettering has some wear on it, do you think the gold wash is wearing off or can it be fixed?

I call writing on a blade that isn't actually engraved into the blade gold wash, but I'm probably just ignorant of the proper term for it as you're right, it's not all gold :lol:. I would be careful with it though as I'm sure you can rub it off if you get too aggressive. I would say hand polish it if it's your first time polishing. I would advise you further, but I have yet to do any polishing either (but soon I will). Also be sure to keep the blade well supported when polishing. Use a cutting board to keep it flat at the very least. If you support the blade and do everything by hand you should be fine, and it looks to be pretty clean anyway.

I was given a straight razor in its original box that used to belong to my grandfather. It says "Flic" Razor No. 511, made in Germany. On the box it also says Specially made for Messrs. Teckchand Essardas Marriot Road, Karachi. I don't know anything about straights and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this brand or specific razor and if its nice razor or a piece of junk, etc. I can post pictures later if needed. I don't have any straight razor supplies like a strop and I also heard about honing it which I don't know much about, so I doubt I will be using it but I did want to find out more about it. Thanks.
Not a quick - but a late reply... but better late than never...
FLIC was a trademark of THE FLIC RAZOR CO. Ltd. , an Export Company of the famous razor maker Max Voos, Solingen, Germany.

Top Bottom