What's new

The Association of Lather Catchers: TALC

I had a great shave this morning with the Henckels Rapides razor and my new soap and brush from The Razor Company.

IMG_20221228_094546208-01.jpeg

I have been wanting to shave with this razor ever since I bought it months ago, but it is too wide for a standard blade. I cut an AC blade to size and fashioned an adapter from one of those flexible plastic rulers. It needs more work, but I decided to give it a try today. It was a mild shave with lots of feedback. Perhaps the blade needs to come forward a bit. I made my third ATG pass with my Parker Injector.

Razor: Torrey No. 1 Lather Catcher
Blade: Feather Professional AC
Brush: Rudy Vey 2022 B & B Contributor Brush
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Lather: Caswell-Massey Number Six
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20221231_090230.jpg

Razor: Eveready 1907ish Lather Catcher
Blade: CVS Carbon new
Brush: VDH Boar
Soap: Williams
Aftershave: Dickinson's witch hazel & Avon spicy
Notes: First shave ever with a lather catcher. Awesome shave ,aggressive and lots of blade feel ,only needed 2 passes definitely in my top 10 best shaves and razors.
SOTD1323.jpg

Razor: VIC Lather Catcher
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: US Standard Restored with Frank Shaving G5 knot
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Truefitt & Hill Apsley
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
20230304_090952.jpg

I have been doing some research on the kampfe Brothers star lather catcher I picked the other day. I seek the knowledge of those that are more well versed on kampfe Brothers razors. This razor is dead on money to the June 15th 1880 patent that is on on the razor. I have found some pics of couple model 1880 with stamped holes behind the combs, this example follows the patent drawing being solid, I am guessing there are 2 types in the 1880 model? Another thing that intrigues me is the box ,I was led to believe that these 1880 model razors came in a cylindrical red painted tin. There is no room for a tin in that box with the razor. I will be ordering a wedge adapter for gem blades and cant wait to get a shave with it. Thank you

Attachments

• 20230308_114158.jpg
    20230308_114158.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230308_134943.jpg
    20230308_134943.jpg
    773.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230308_134923.jpg
    20230308_134923.jpg
    839.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230308_134848.jpg
    20230308_134848.jpg
    793.5 KB · Views: 17
I have been doing some research on the kampfe Brothers star lather catcher I picked the other day. I seek the knowledge of those that are more well versed on kampfe Brothers razors. This razor is dead on money to the June 15th 1880 patent that is on on the razor. I have found some pics of couple model 1880 with stamped holes behind the combs, this example follows the patent drawing being solid, I am guessing there are 2 types in the 1880 model? Another thing that intrigues me is the box ,I was led to believe that these 1880 model razors came in a cylindrical red painted tin. There is no room for a tin in that box with the razor. I will be ordering a wedge adapter for gem blades and cant wait to get a shave with it. Thank you
With the help of some awesome collectors this razor has been identified, it is a model 1880 with a 1880 prototype head.

I picked up my Star lather catcher on Friday and had it in shape by Sunday. I did a little searching and determine this is a 1902, Model HR – 14. The head etching matches model A, but I have reason to believe it is a model C, made for the French market. The plating on the top was still in good shape, so I just polished the rest of it with Liquid Silver. (Rather than stripping it all down to brass.) The two star blades that came with it were a little beat up, but still very sharp. I gave one a good stropping, and I actually used it on my last touch up pass. To shim up my GEM blade I made my own spacer/shim out of an AARP card.
My shave was a totally different experience. It helped a little to have used a Gem Junior 1912 and an Ever-Ready 24-14. The large head was a real trip, like shaving with a light bulb! I am used to a thinner and slicker lather, but it seemed like the right lather for this device would be thick and lofty like the Old Ever-Ready or Gem logos. My shave was passable; I’ve had worse shaves with more blood on a DE. I am sure there is a learning curve involved. Any advice or comments on any aspect of shaving with one of these would be much appreciated!
EAFFC907-8F76-4F77-8A14-3D847DBDDC6E.jpeg

1BF2A68F-337C-431D-98A1-77140C5E09FB.jpeg
1BC6497E-35BB-470D-94AC-1C44488968DD.jpeg

Attachments

• 979FA63B-7F18-4566-8701-92DCF623AA9F.jpeg
    979FA63B-7F18-4566-8701-92DCF623AA9F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I picked up my Star lather catcher on Friday and had it in shape by Sunday. I did a little searching and determine this is a 1902, Model HR – 14. The head etching matches model A, but I have reason to believe it is a model C, made for the French market. The plating on the top was still in good shape, so I just polished the rest of it with Liquid Silver. (Rather than stripping it all down to brass.) The two star blades that came with it were a little beat up, but still very sharp. I gave one a good stropping, and I actually used it on my last touch up pass. To shim up my GEM blade I made my own spacer/shim out of an AARP card.
My shave was a totally different experience. It helped a little to have used a Gem Junior 1912 and an Ever-Ready 24-14. The large head was a real trip, like shaving with a light bulb! I am used to a thinner and slicker lather, but it seemed like the right lather for this device would be thick and lofty like the Old Ever-Ready or Gem logos. My shave was passable; I’ve had worse shaves with more blood on a DE. I am sure there is a learning curve involved. Any advice or comments on any aspect of shaving with one of these would be much appreciated!
View attachment 1624348

View attachment 1624347View attachment 1624346
Nice looking razor you bought, try using the Lather catcher with a blade with higher used possibly. Some lather catchers can be slightly more aggressive no doubt. That Star lather catcher was made before Gillette even started his shaving Empire. Star brand(Kampfe brothers of Brooklyn NY) was before every one else even existed and were the pioneers of the safety razor industry it has become!

Razor: Kampfe Bros. Star HR-9A Lather Catcher
Blade: Pal Carbon Steel Gem-type blade
Brush: Rubberset 200-3 TNS Boss knot
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Truefitt & Hill Apsley
Aftershave: Fine Italian Citrus
Additional Care:
20230401_093249.jpg

SOTD 4.9.23.jpg

Razors: Kampfe Bros 1880 Prototype ( HR-P1 Head) & 1901 Gem Junior
Bades: Kampfe Bros Wedge & Gem Blue Star
Brush: Vintage Badger
Soap: Vintage Larkin Shave Stick
Post & After: Dickinson's Witch Hazel & Pinaud Clubman
Notes: My first attempt at a wedge shave and honing a wedge blade. I got it sharp but not shave sharp. Finished the shave with my Gem Junior 1901.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Oldy goldy of a lather catcher, very early model and in good shape.

SOTD 5.7.23.jpg

Lather Catcher Sunday
Razors: Kampfe 1880 Prototype , EverReady 1907
Blades: Late Kampfe Brothers Wedge Blade , Gem Blue Star
Brush: Vintage Badger
Soap: Vintage Colgate Shave Stick
After: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Notes: My second attempt at sharpening a wedge blade ,this time with extra blade I recently picked up. It shaved but not great and was tugging I got through the first pass then switched to the Ever Ready 1907.

Top Bottom