What's new

MacDuffs?

I am planning to purchase a soap and splash, possibly 2 for my birthday in may.
I want to support a Canadian business!

I have never tried or smelt a bay rum. How does the Prairie rum runner compare?
MacDuff's Prairie Rum Runner is not a true bay rum scent. I think the scent is a bit drier and more spicy. This is one of my favorite MacDuff's scents. Since your birthday is so close to the beginning of summer, I'd suggest getting Summer Cabin along with Prairie Rum Runner.

As far as MacDuff's aftershaves go, I'm finding that a slightly damp face and hands along with just a little aftershave works best. When I used it like alcohol based aftershave, I didn't like that tacky feeling after applying a generous amount.

MacDuff's Prairie Rum Runner is not a true bay rum scent. I think the scent is a bit drier and more spicy. This is one of my favorite MacDuff's scents. Since your birthday is so close to the beginning of summer, I'd suggest getting Summer Cabin along with Prairie Rum Runner.

As far as MacDuff's aftershaves go, I'm finding that a slightly damp face and hands along with just a little aftershave works best. When I used it like alcohol based aftershave, I didn't like that tacky feeling after applying a generous amount.
Thanks for the recommendations. I am torn between Summer Cabin and Old Strathcona, leaning more toward the Cabin. I like citrussy/florally scents. Rum Runner sounds interesting and very different then anything I have had before.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am torn between Summer Cabin and Old Strathcona, leaning more toward the Cabin. I like citrussy/florally scents. Rum Runner sounds interesting and very different then anything I have had before.
I have old Strathcona and would describe it as an earthy, natural take on a barbershop scent without the powder. Seems to be well received from what ive read on here and would recommend it.

EDTA is present in this soap, although it is not listed. MacDuff's was informed by a friend who is allergic to EDTA to correct this on their website as well as the vendor sites. The MacDuff's acknowledged the presence of EDTA in the soap but has taken no action to address the issue.

I used Lilac this morning. Nice strong scent but a little perfumy for my taste. The lather is top notch. I used B&M soaps for the last week and the MacDuffs is easily it's equal.
Image319526937117271252.jpg

EDTA is present in this soap, although it is not listed. MacDuff's was informed by a friend who is allergic to EDTA to correct this on their website as well as the vendor sites. The MacDuff's acknowledged the presence of EDTA in the soap but has taken no action to address the issue.
Would you like to expand on your EDTA concerns for others to read? EDTA is used in eye drops, used as an ointment for skin irritations and is used in food.

Looks like MacDuff's has Tetrasodium EDTA listed near the end of their ingredient list for quite a few of their soaps. I don't know if that's new and a result of them being made aware of a potential issue with EDTA or has been listed the whole time.

Would you like to expand on your EDTA concerns for others to read? EDTA is used in eye drops, used as an ointment for skin irritations and is used in food.

Looks like MacDuff's has Tetrasodium EDTA listed near the end of their ingredient list for quite a few of their soaps. I don't know if that's new and a result of them being made aware of a potential issue with EDTA or has been listed the whole time.

In my opinion, the problematic aspect is the absence of a listed ingredient. This particular ingredient is known to be controversial and my friend is allergic to it. However, I personally do not have any issues with it and have been using Tabac tallow, which contains this ingredient, for at least twice a week over many years.

In my opinion, the problematic aspect is the absence of a listed ingredient. This particular ingredient is known to be controversial and my friend is allergic to it. However, I personally do not have any issues with it and have been using Tabac tallow, which contains this ingredient, for at least twice a week over many years.
So being curious about this I pulled out a tub that I bought two years ago, Bad Santa, and it has Tetrasodium EDTA listed. I did see this was missing from the ingredient list from their older V3 soaps. Thing is I don't know if Tetrasodium EDTA was used in their older soap base. Anyway it looks like MacDuff's had addressed this issue several years ago.

I got Wild Rose Country the other day, used it today. What a scent! I'm rather enthralled by it. The smell reminds of a place that I can't quite place. Its a feeling of deja vu. I keep going to the tin for a fresh whiff, trying to place it.

Ok, just used my Pasteur Shaving Birth Of Cool sample. First, I have to preface this by saying I have very sensitive skin; I just tried Saponoficio Varesino’s Manna di Sicilia on Monday - and while it produced an incredibly luxurious lather, and smelled fantastic, I got a bit of irritation.

So I wasn’t expecting much from my sample of Macduff’s, but I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised. I got a very enjoyable shave, so much so that I jumped on B & B to read up on them, and here we are, LOL.

I would call the texture more of a cream, than a soap. And it’s brown, not that there is anything wrong with that, just an observation. The scent is ok, I was going to say it’s powdery, but I see on Pasteur’s site, it’s vanilla.

Anyway, for less than $20, seems like a no-brainer.

I generally only use the old standards, but this stuff is the real deal and I was excited to receive this today from The Shave Supply. Not to shamelessly plug an online retailer, but this place is always a pleasure to deal with, Gareth (who I assume is the owner) always writes a personalized note on the invoice, in this case it was, "Birch + Root is Awesome," but also always sends samples, in this case a pack of blades. Needless to say, I'll continue to shop there. Anyway, I can wait till this evening's shave, the label is making me thirsty for some old school Frostie Root Beer...
P4010002.JPG

Old Strathcona is similar to Seville, but superior in every way. The scents from OS are individual and come in waves. Seville is much more uniform. I hope this doesn't come across as bashing Seville because I do really enjoy it.

Also picked up Trail Tobacco and it's also wonderful. This is coming from someone who doesn't smoke.

While I am sure this will change, the only additions to the den I am considering these days are from MacDuffs.
Seen this one?...

1681219167228.png

Reactions: GMM
I'm eyeing this one. I gotta dial back my spending right now, trying to buy a house. But when that is done, this is top of my celebratory buy list.
I hear you - I'm going to try to downsize my den somewhat over the next several months...after which I'll need to reward myself with another soap or two🤣🤣.
This one sounds right up my alley tho (I love fresh and green type scents).
Notes: Lavender Blend, Evergreen Blend, Tree Moss Blend, Benzoin, Bergamot

Best of luck on the house hunt!

I hear you - I'm going to try to downsize my den somewhat over the next several months...after which I'll need to reward myself with another soap or two🤣🤣.
This one sounds right up my alley tho (I love fresh and green type scents).
Notes: Lavender Blend, Evergreen Blend, Tree Moss Blend, Benzoin, Bergamot

Best of luck on the house hunt!
Thanks. Right now we're just trying to get pre-approval worked out. I'm self employed which makes the process a bit... interesting. I've been talking to my accountant more in the last week than I have the last 4 years 😆

Top Bottom