What's new

Silly situation need input

I was shaving with my brand new Feather AS-D2 this morning for the first time in my bathroom. My son, who will be 8 months next week, was on my bed behind me. As I was turning to check on him every so often, he was about to crawl off the bed, I ran over to catch him, I got him just in time and he was fine thankfully. However, during the ordeal I had my razor on my hand and it dropped while I was holding him. So I am not sure if I am overreacting but, with the pressure of him against the razor in my hand and all the commotion and dropping it I was worried I may have bent a safety bar or the threaded post or something. I did not have time to check as I had to leave for work but any suggestions what I can use/do to check? I posted this in another forum as well, open to all ideas. My wife is already annoyed I spent $200+ on a razor, don't want to have to buy a new one.

Thanks!

My guess is that your razor is fine. You invested in a stainless steel razor, and it should be durable enough to handle this drop.

How does it feel when you unscrew the handle? Any wobble or resistance? If not, probably good to go there. Does it look even with the blade in? Maybe the tip of a sewing needle or a piece of paper can give you an idea that everything is still in line with an even gap across the safety bar.

My guess is that your razor is fine. You invested in a stainless steel razor, and it should be durable enough to handle this drop.

How does it feel when you unscrew the handle? Any wobble or resistance? If not, probably good to go there. Does it look even with the blade in? Maybe the tip of a sewing needle or a piece of paper can give you an idea that everything is still in line with an even gap across the safety bar.
Now that I recall, I did feel resistance when I was unscrewing it/rescrewing it after I was done shaving, but not sure if that was due to water/soap inside. I will have to check again tonight.

Unless you drop a steel razor from height onto a hard tile floor, most times it will be fine. The Feather isn’t especially heavy either so that’s in your favour too. If you’ve had a close look and the razor looks ok, then I’m sure it is ok.

An M5 steel post will not bend easily, especially if it was already fully engaged in the threaded opening. Same goes for the safety bar, steel is strong.

I concur with all of the above. You are likely fine.

I've never damaged a steel razor by dropping it. And it's happened more times than I'm comfortable admitting.

The only razors I've ever done any lasting damage to have been ones made from softer materials (esp zamak) and even those instances required significant height onto a hard surface.

Also, good catch Dad. You absolutely dropped the right thing. ;)

Last edited:
I concur with all of the above. You are likely fine.

I've never damaged a steel razor by dropping it. And it's happened more times than I'm comfortable admitting.

The only razors I've ever done any lasting damage to have been ones made from softer materials (esp zamak) and even those instances required significant height onto a hard surface.

Also, good catch Dad. You absolutely dropped the right thing. ;)
Thanks. Yeh I figured it was fine, the bending concern came from not so much dropping it but being that everything happened so fast, having the razor in my hand while I caught him I thought maybe the head would bend trying to juggle everything at once and the head being pressed against my hand, his body etc.. I got more concerned the razor would cut through his PJs and hurt him but I checked all was good.

I dropped my iPhone 4 back in the time in a very similar situation. Unfortunately, I wasn’t as lucky though.
Glad your razor wasn’t damaged.

I was shaving with my brand new Feather AS-D2 this morning for the first time in my bathroom. My son, who will be 8 months next week, was on my bed behind me. As I was turning to check on him every so often, he was about to crawl off the bed, I ran over to catch him, I got him just in time and he was fine thankfully. However, during the ordeal I had my razor on my hand and it dropped while I was holding him. So I am not sure if I am overreacting but, with the pressure of him against the razor in my hand and all the commotion and dropping it I was worried I may have bent a safety bar or the threaded post or something. I did not have time to check as I had to leave for work but any suggestions what I can use/do to check? I posted this in another forum as well, open to all ideas. My wife is already annoyed I spent $200+ on a razor, don't want to have to buy a new one.

Thanks!

You have to keep your priorities straight.
Which is easier to replace - your son or your razor?
No question - you dropped the right thing.

Top Bottom