What's new

Do you stockpile your favorites? Unopened tubes shelf life?

I am afraid you are guessing wrong. :wink2:
Last time I was in Germany (10/2022) they had disappeared from the shelves from all the major drugstore chains.
Hmm....interesting. Maybe they got an order in before they disappeared. I bought one out of curiosity more than anything.

I would not stockpile anything. If there is a product which you would like to try because you have heard it is a solid performer, buy one. There will always be great performing soaps and creams for you to try if that one product changes formulation or is discontinued.

That's what I thought and then they stopped making Tabac with tallow, Speick with tallow and Floid Vigoroso. I now practice targeted stockpiling.

I don't tend to stockpile any one thing but I have great heaping piles of many different things.

Because I have so much stuff to get through I'm often opening up something years after I bought it.

So far, I've not had any problems although sometimes creams need to be rehydrated or maybe just used in their more solid form.

IIRC, my current record is a tube of Proraso green that was probably a decade old. Little stiffer than new but otherwise fine.

To be honest, I don't buy vintage software so I'll leave it to others to comment on that. Although, at the rate I'm going some of my collection may become vintage before too long. 🤣

I bought in bulk anything that I enjoyed using and brought satisfaction as good value. It was also somehow therapeutic as I am a bit of a control freak (my own family diagnosed me some time ago...) and wanted to, at very least, have a good grip on this. I would like to believe it is rather benign and very cheap "deviance". No, I have not been through therapy but promised to seek help if I ever buy one more shaving product.
That being said... 100 Palmolive sticks, wow. Respect @wibbleandstrop23! I only have 39.

I usually don't regret purchases, but always regret missed ones, I didn't buy.

Oh, I keep part of my stash (mostly soaps and few creams) in the fridge. I don't really care if I can still use them, let's say 10-15 years from now. I get comfort knowing they are there.

I bought in bulk anything that I enjoyed using and brought satisfaction as good value. It was also somehow therapeutic as I am a bit of a control freak (my own family diagnosed me some time ago...) and wanted to, at very least, have a good grip on this. I would like to believe it is rather benign and very cheap "deviance". No, I have not been through therapy but promised to seek help if I ever buy one more shaving product.
That being said... 100 Palmolive sticks, wow. Respect @wibbleandstrop23! I only have 39.

I usually don't regret purchases, but always regret missed ones, I didn't buy.

Oh, I keep part of my stash (mostly soaps and few creams) in the fridge. I don't really care if I can still use them, let's say 10-15 years from now. I get comfort knowing they are there.
I wish that I’d bought 100 Valobra sticks but they were £10, Palmolive was 50p at my local Morrisons, when it was available. So I decided to get a lifetimes supply of soap for the price of 5 Valobra sticks.

The last place in Europe that had Palmolive sticks was Switzerland but they are gone there as well. You can now find them on the German eBay together with the Irisch Moos sticks for crazy prices.

I got my last ones from Ireland 2 years ago but this was old stock and a private purchase they were discontinued way before.

Sort of a multi-part question. I really like the old favorites (Palmolive classic and menthol, Lider, Karo, etc)

Do you stockpile your favorites?

I’m wondering if I should buy 8-10 of each to use the next decade in a rotation just in case they unexpectedly discontinue like the Palmolive sticks?

Thoughts on any of this nonsense? :)
I've stockpiled some hard shaving soaps that have been or could be at risk of being discontinued as those have almost unlimited shelf lives. In the case of shaving creams, that have a lot more water in them, my sense is that they are not as stable as hard soaps so I typically limit myself to one backup container. Exception was a dirt cheap tube of LEA professional for roughly $4 where I threw in a third tube to hit a shipping threshold. Realize, per @EclipseRedRing , that they can still be usable years later though it sounds like that product will lose moisture and have different shaving characteristics as a result.

Note that my creams are in relatively large containers ranging from 150g to 250g in size. For products in smaller size tubes a few backups would likely be fine.

If you really like something no harm in stockpiling. No uk stockists now of Meissner creams or soaps. Wish I'd bought every variety they had.. a great regret.

I am new to the wonderful world of DE shaving
Going through the 'buy every cream i see' phase
But hey they last for years so bring it on i say
I wouldn’t hold my breath on that. They can separate, harden and/or spoil. Higher water content than milled soaps makes for a more volatile product. I went through a buying spree as well and try now to use creams and soft soaps before the hard ones.

Have a look, creams have a printed shelf life of 18-24 months. Most will keep longer but not decades.

I have extra Arko because they were cheaper by the dozen. Plus I like to give shaving stuff away. Not everyone sees an Arko stick as a welcome gift...

I bought a few extra pucks of Williams Mug when they were withdrawn, because nostalgia. It was almost my only soap for 4 decades.

I have 1 extra tube of Lea Mentolada cream, because 1) I'm dumb, 2) it is cheap, 3) it filled out an order from Connaught, 4) it is my favorite 'mass market' cool cream over the offerings from Palmolive, Omega, Proraso, Cremo, and kapo.

So my problem isn't stockpiling, it is hanging on to creams I've sampled but won't pull out of the shave/beer/Clif Bar refrigerator. Especially when I primarily use shave sticks. I should have discovered those back in the 70s.

@EclipseRedRing made an encouraging post #2 above. Maybe I'll be making shave sticks from dried up creams in a few years.

I wouldn’t hold my breath on that. They can separate, harden and/or spoil. Higher water content than milled soaps makes for a more volatile product. I went through a buying spree as well and try now to use creams and soft soaps before the hard ones.

Have a look, creams have a printed shelf life of 18-24 months. Most will keep longer but not decades.
Ok cool good advice - have stopped buying any more creams

More than enough for quite a while i would think

Ok cool good advice - have stopped buying any more creams

More than enough for quite a while i would think
I only recently acquired some creams last fall a I use shaving soap most of the time. They will last longer than the 12-24 months on the back of the tube or tub but not necessarily for years like a hard milled soap does so long as you allow it to dry between shaves. Per other users, such as @EclipseRedRing who uses vintage products, you can cut open the tube and use them in a mug like a shaving soap if they do dry out and harden. If you do decide to branch out into hard shaving soaps then have a much wider range and even acquire some backups with confidence they will last.

I have extra Arko because they were cheaper by the dozen. Plus I like to give shaving stuff away. Not everyone sees an Arko stick as a welcome gift...

I bought a few extra pucks of Williams Mug when they were withdrawn, because nostalgia. It was almost my only soap for 4 decades.

I have 1 extra tube of Lea Mentolada cream, because 1) I'm dumb, 2) it is cheap, 3) it filled out an order from Connaught, 4) it is my favorite 'mass market' cool cream over the offerings from Palmolive, Omega, Proraso, Cremo, and kapo.

So my problem isn't stockpiling, it is hanging on to creams I've sampled but won't pull out of the shave/beer/Clif Bar refrigerator. Especially when I primarily use shave sticks. I should have discovered those back in the 70s.

@EclipseRedRing made an encouraging post #2 above. Maybe I'll be making shave sticks from dried up creams in a few years.
Funny, Per my post above I've also purchased extra LEA creams to fill out a Connaught Shaving order. Not sure I agree with your #1 reason though :). Sound like a smart decision to add a $3 cream to your order to save roughly 4 times that in shipping charges! 🙂

I have both the LEA Professional and Mentolada creams. They are excellent and a great value at the Connaught prices.

I only recently acquired some creams last fall a I use shaving soap most of the time. They will last longer than the 12-24 months on the back of the tube or tub but not necessarily for years like a hard milled soap does so long as you allow it to dry between shaves. Per other users, such as @EclipseRedRing who uses vintage products, you can cut open the tube and use them in a mug like a shaving soap if they do dry out and harden. If you do decide to branch out into hard shaving soaps then have a much wider range and even acquire some backups with confidence they will last.

Excellent i like the sound of that - hate anything going to waste

Although have been buying cream's will be looking at soaps in the future

Always nice to have variety and a mixture in stock for whatever reason

Top Bottom