What's new

March 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Hello friends!

Today is my birthday. To celebrate my 65 years of life, my dear wife told me last night that she would like to give me a shaving soap as a gift and asked me which one I would like.
I thought of replying: I'm in a restraint with my dear friends at GRUME, my love…but instead, I replied with enthusiasm: Martin de Candre Fougere!
Overhearing the conversation, our daughters (we have triplets) said they were thinking of sharing a gift for me, perhaps some fragrance or aftershave that I didn't have and would really like. Which? Brut Oceans, I replied...

The true is that I had not shaved for over twenty years, only trimming with an electric razor whenever my facial hair became unbearable and I went back to shaving less than a year ago. By all appearances, the girls at home are happy with my decision, therefore I can't let them down…

Well my friends, as of today I am out of March GRUME. I must confess that happiness for my birthday is mixed with sadness for leaving you. It's a bittersweet feeling...

I apologize my dear @FoolishMortal and all my friends for enabling.
I shall be back in two weeks with a lot of strength for restraint.
I will miss you all very much.

Be well and have great shaves.

Cheers!
❤️ 🪒
Wishing you a happy birthday

03.17.23ShavePic.jpg

023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
March 2023 GRUME #23 - Still in

Date: 03.17.23
Days growth: 3

Head shaver

Razor: Van Der Hagen TTO
Blade: Rapira Super Stainless (4)
Brush: Parker synthetic

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Dr. Bronners Citrus on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Colonel Conk - Amber
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements blue/white

Passes: 4 (ridiculous)

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Mentos Hero
6 - Balm: Nivea Sensitive skin

Time from shower on to dressed and ready:

NOTES: This shave was not very enjoyable. I needed to use a mild razor today so I chose my little used Van Der Hagen TTO with a Rapira Super Stainless (4) moved to this razor. The Colonel Conk was OKish, I think I might toss it, the lather is fairly slick but deflates quickly and the scent is very weak. I completed pass one and had a fair bit of stubble. Pass two and still stubble?? Half way through pass three and most stubble was gone but usually by now I have a very close shave. I swapped the razor out for my 1940's tech (same Rapira) and it cleaned up pretty well but the blade had in fact become dull. Dull blade with the super mild razor equaled only a SAS. I am adding a new catagory for my scoring - Enjoyment - I was rather annoyed...
Quality: 7/10
Comfort: 9/10
Enjoyment: 6/10
Total: 7.33/10 - probably the second worst shave since I started DE shaving in 09/23...

View attachment 1622608

023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
March 2023 GRUME #23 - Still in

Date: 03.17.23
Days growth: 3

Head shaver

Razor: Van Der Hagen TTO
Blade: Rapira Super Stainless (4)
Brush: Parker synthetic

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Dr. Bronners Citrus on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Colonel Conk - Amber
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements blue/white

Passes: 4 (ridiculous)

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Mentos Hero
6 - Balm: Nivea Sensitive skin

Time from shower on to dressed and ready:

NOTES: This shave was not very enjoyable. I needed to use a mild razor today so I chose my little used Van Der Hagen TTO with a Rapira Super Stainless (4) moved to this razor. The Colonel Conk was OKish, I think I might toss it, the lather is fairly slick but deflates quickly and the scent is very weak. I completed pass one and had a fair bit of stubble. Pass two and still stubble?? Half way through pass three and most stubble was gone but usually by now I have a very close shave. I swapped the razor out for my 1940's tech (same Rapira) and it cleaned up pretty well but the blade had in fact become dull. Dull blade with the super mild razor equaled only a SAS. I am adding a new catagory for my scoring - Enjoyment - I was rather annoyed...
Quality: 7/10
Comfort: 9/10
Enjoyment: 6/10
Total: 7.33/10 - probably the second worst shave since I started DE shaving in 09/23...
Can you tell a bit about the Mentos AS? I’ve never seen it before?

Howdy @La Malice
My 2 cent advice for "window shoppers" would be to look at an E. Jagger D89. It is my personal favorite mild razor. The Rockwell 6S is probably my most versatile razor. A couple days ago, the Feather AS-D2 was very mild and efficient.
However, the Merker 34 is in the same ballpark.
With that said, IMHO, most razors I have can be used in a mild manner using "no pressure" strokes and riding the cap on the first pass. Currently, I am satisfied focusing on technique and "restraintful contentment".
Thank you for your 2 cents much appreciated. after all one can always window shop

Still in! Edge is starting to fall away on this razor, so it will go into the queue for a touchup. Nevertheless, delivered a very nice shave this afternoon. Three passes for a DFS+. Hold tight and shave well! :)

You appear to be a man after my own heart in your enjoyment of Speick 👌👌👌

Date18.03.2023
365 days of shaving77/365 (100%)
GRUYERE77/365 (100%)
GRUME March18/31 (100%)
03/12 (100%)
Soap of the Month Club (SOTMC)
18/31 (100%)
01/12 (83%)

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW Long CombLa Fayette (1)Simpson T3
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashMike’s Barbershop
Proraso Green
Cold splash

Efficiency (scoring details here)Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
6/10 (CCS)9/10 (buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in, but I see some unobtainable razors lurking on the horizon - they are suddenly within reach. But still in.

The blade is smooth and comfortable and very mild. So mild perhaps that it is less effective in my beard. A smooth result after a three pass shave, but not BBS levels at all. I don’t know if it’s a one and done blade, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Further details on today’s shave and more can be found here.

Enjoy your shave today!

Last edited:
SV/Semogue Saturday
Still In GRUME, GRUYERE & 365 Shaves

PXL_20230318_034759028.jpeg

Timeless Ti .68 with Muhle Rasurkultur (18), SV Manna Di Sicilia and Semogue SOC

Again, another good quartet to start the weekend. I really like the light weight of the Timeless razor. It was a DFS+ way to start the weekend.

Here is some good music I listened to last night-
1679147147810.png

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Still in 🙏🏽

No urge at all to buy stuff.

Used the GreenCult 2.0 again. Their website states the head I chose is designed for five days growth, so I didn't shave this week to put the razor to the test. Loaded with a Nacet, it delivered a very confortable, yet extremely close shave. This Austrian razor might be the best DE razor on the market.

I tried the synthetic Yaqi Aquarium brush, but it misbehaved. It was rough and had trouble with the thick stubble on my head. Its religious brother, Sagrada Familia took over and did a great job.
Same goes for the Areffa Soap, but this is no surprise. I absolutely adore this Ukranian soap ❤️

ABBE6A20-8BC2-4B4A-AEDC-FE39E3AFFA18.jpeg

Top Bottom