What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2023 Edition

Still in with Shave 12!

1679032940553.png

Razor: GameChanger .68P
Blade: Gillette Platinum (11)
Soap: Mike's Barber Shop (34)
Brush: Omega Jade Boar (52)

This is the seventh day of daily shaving and it's been going great. FFFMM has gotten me pretty solid with this setup and has taken me to my "best" shaves yet. The help I've gotten from many this month plus the consistency has helped me dial in my grip and angle and freed me to explore refining my pressure control.

Thanks @Cal, this has been evolutionary for me so far.

Date: March 17, 2023.
Shave: 9.
Shaving Brush: Semogue 820 Boar Bristle.
Shaving Cream: O'Melhor Classico.
Razor: Rockwell 6S in Red with base plate 3.
Blade: Gillette Nacet Blade 3, shave 3, side 1 & 2.
Preshave Wash: Hot Water, Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser.
Lathering: Bowl lather.
Shave: Pass 1 WTG, Pass 2 XTG, Pass 3 ATG, cleanup pass.
Post Shave: Cold Water splash, Alum Block.
Aftershave: Dickinson's Witch Hazel, Old Spice Wolfthorn.
End Result: Comfortable, close.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
FFFMM

Last night’s luxury shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (8)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, palm-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate Moisturizer

Got back to barely catching the hairs and an agonizingly slow improvement on shaving the upper lip with reduced under-nostril irritation. For everywhere else, it was close enough and comfortable enough, but very slow so new blade in razor for next shave. Old one disposed of so razor could be closed.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm out. 😕

Two reasons:

Primarily, I'm not enjoying my shaves, but more importantly, I'm not having fun. With the razor I chose, my shaving has become a chore again. No joy.

The Timeless 95OC razor is a work of art, truly beautiful, but with the 95OC plate I feel like I must work too hard...and reason two...

...I'm weak. I got impatient and wanted to try my new .68 scalloped base plate on my Timeless, which I did today.

I expected a completely different result, and was rewarded with my best shave this month. Close and comfortable with no irritation or blood. Perfect.

No surprise, really, as I've been getting the same type of shaves from my Game Changer 68P, my ASD2, and my Techs for months.

Anyway, the Timeless is now a joy to use, I'm having fun again and, after all, that's my main reason for doing any of this.

(Still in on my head shaves. 🙂)

Also want to note that these arrived today, so I used them for my WTG and XTG passes on my cheeks and neck, and finished with my DE.

View attachment 1622145

No shame in leaving. As you know, it's all in fun and for science.

To me, the take home point here is a reminder to use kit you already know suits you well enough to get through a month, and to learn better. I say this not having always followed that advice; I did a Fixed Four with a Wunderbar.

Congratulations on finding the right Timeless baseplate.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
20230227_122329-jpg.1613710

(Recycled pic - yet again)

March 17th,18:00
7th Fixed Four shave (3 day growth)
7th shave on this blade

Starting to get a bit too cocky with this set up now. It's as though the hand is saying "OK, I know what I'm doing now", and the face is saying "No, you bloody don't". Or in other words, I'm getting tempted to settle into a higher fluidity, but the blade feel, or other sensation on the face keeps flickering warnings.

No weepers, or soreness, but still not the comfort level or ease that I'm accustomed to. Not bad for seven shaves, but I think I'm just starting to creep into the "only know enough to be dangerous", stage of learning.

It was a decent shave today, although there is one area on the right side jaw line, where the skin feels like it wouldn't be too happy if I shaved it again tomorrow. Not sore, but it feels like there was a little too much skin contact for full comfort. It certainly wasn't a lather issue. That was excellent as always.

Still in with lucky FFFMM shave 13!

1679121054931.png
1679121138910.png

Preshave Brush: RV Muhle 25mm STF
Preshave Soap: Cube Puck (19)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (12)
Soap: Mike's Barber Shop (35)
Brush: Omega Jade Boar (53)

My eighth daily shave was simultaneously great and a little horror show. I was a little worried about the 12th shave on this blade but it feels as good as it did on it's second shave which is starting to get a little surprising this far along.

Be careful little dude! I love this guy @Dobric

1679121205745.png

Still in with lucky FFFMM shave 13!

View attachment 1622801View attachment 1622802

Preshave Brush: RV Muhle 25mm STF
Preshave Soap: Cube Puck (19)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (12)
Soap: Mike's Barber Shop (35)
Brush: Omega Jade Boar (53)

My eighth daily shave was simultaneously great and a little horror show. I was a little worried about the 12th shave on this blade but it feels as good as it did on it's second shave which is starting to get a little surprising this far along.

Be careful little dude! I love this guy @Dobric

View attachment 1622803
He is perfect for these kind of photos 😊

Top Bottom