What's new

Gillette Goodwill models

Now that I have 3 different Goodwill's, I have to declare a winner of the trio. I'm still looking for any of the South American Goodwills, which are based on the SC base plate as well as the solid bar version. If you happen to have one of those for sale, please let me know :D .

I see a lot of old threads about people having most of the Goodwill models and I wonder how many of them are still around here or still have their razors. For those who own one or more, which one do you like the most?

From left to right: US #160, Canadian #175 Special Reversed Studs, British Importe D' Angleterre made for the French market.

328611819_718765009926670_740187505734067813_n.jpg
328535134_888144502433806_9109722322755836319_n.jpg

I absolutely love my goodwill. For both it's beauty and shaving abilities. It's very efficient and can get into tight places easier that many other razors have issues with.

I have the #164 Goodwill from Canada
View attachment 1597971

View attachment 1597972
View attachment 1597973
View attachment 1597974

A few years ago I could have bought the same model with no plating issues as well as bent or broken teeth for around $50 and I didn't. I regret that decision ever since.

I have a Canadian #164. The style of this razor makes one feel like they are back in the art deco times.

For me it shaves almost identically to my Ball End Old Type. The Old Type is actually easier to load the blade in based on the pins and diamonds on the #164.

I rarely use either now as the Titanium Blackbird is the king of my razors, but both will remain in my den, likely for the rest of my life.
8382D55A-D6BE-49AC-B695-482AD2D424A9.jpeg
42536706-FBA8-48B2-975E-CB15934A06CD.jpeg
3B6DCA3F-C826-4192-81A7-9C0474EDB86A.jpeg

Now that I have 3 different Goodwill's, I have to declare a winner of the trio. I'm still looking for any of the South American Goodwills, which are based on the SC base plate as well as the solid bar version. If you happen to have one of those for sale, please let me know :D .

I see a lot of old threads about people having most of the Goodwill models and I wonder how many of them are still around here or still have their razors. For those who own one or more, which one do you like the most?

From left to right: US #160, Canadian #175 Special Reversed Studs, British Importe D' Angleterre made for the French market.

View attachment 1597956View attachment 1597957

The 160 appears to have originated as a Goodwill.

The Canadian 175 seems to be a modified New Long Comb.

For those with the #160 or #175 that uses the NEW parts and do you also have a NEW long comb? I assume they shave the same?

I just dove head first into buying up some Old Types as one just wasn't enough.... 😂

Particularly because I found at least 4 different variations of them between having thin bottom plate, medium bottom plate, thick bottom plate, thin top cap, medium top cap, and thick top caps.
I posted my thoughts here.

My #164 goodwill has a medium top cap and bottom plate. Slightly more blade feel then the thin bottom and top of my Bulldog. But not in a horrible way. Still a great shave. I found the thick top and bottom of a Brownie I picked up to be less desirable and felt most aggressive yet less efficient then the other variations.

And I have to post the obligatory pictures here too 😁

full

full

For those with the #160 or #175 that uses the NEW parts and do you also have a NEW long comb? I assume they shave the same?

I just dove head first into buying up some Old Types as one just wasn't enough.... 😂

Particularly because I found at least 4 different variations of them between having thin bottom plate, medium bottom plate, thick bottom plate, thin top cap, medium top cap, and thick top caps.

My #164 goodwill has a medium top cap and bottom plate. Slightly more blade feel then the thin bottom and top of my Bulldog. But not in a horrible way. Still a great shave. I found the thick top and bottom of a Brownie I picked up to be less desirable and felt most aggressive yet less efficient then the other variations.

full

full

The only difference is that the US and British Goodwill variants have deep cuts so the tabs of the top caps can fit and essentialy that makes them ''kind of a'' LC and SC hybrid. I find the Goodwills to be a slightly better shavers compared to the LC and much better than the SC, but as alway - YMMV.

331782196_1265668667360066_115734874363331923_n.jpg

Darn it.... Now I'll have to buy both.

The good news is that most Goodwills including the ones I have are very easy to find and quite inexpensive too, especialy the #160. The British one might be a bit of a hustle, since they are not very common in the US and your best bet is to buy it on the French or British Bay. The Canadian isn't rare by all means, but it doesn't show up very often and when it does it's usualy from Canadian seller.

The only ones that are truly ''rare'', are the British flat bottom or FB, the L shaped one and the Goodwills made in Brazil and Argentina. Not sure how common are the Brazilian and Argentinian models in their countries, but they rarely show up anywhere else. Anything else is just as common as the ones I have or slightly less common at best.

full

full

This is my best attempt to explain the difference between the 160 and the NLC:

Thanks!

I'll be looking out for a nice condition #160. Tons of them on the bay it looks like and most fairly good price.

My favorite DE is the 1940's style Super Speed.
I like the way it shaves the best.

My second favorite is the Goodwil, also because of the way it shaves.

Others that I have include Single Ring, 1920's Old Type,
New Short Comb, New Long Comb, Sheraton, Aristocrat, Pre War Tech,
Gold Tech, and a Tech which I believe is from the 1950's;
it says Gillette on the top cap.

But I really mostly shave with straight razors.

A unique one I managed to be lucky enough to acquire. Won’t be surprised if the original owner says hello.

4511F141-DBBB-4B81-BFEC-A2B8B7F2C96F.png

looks like nothing special so far.
7152968E-C4E3-479D-A577-139C8E1A6353.png

An “Art deco” style design on a USA goodwill based on the New LC design instead of the more common old type. Have never seen it before and only found a few other photos with some digging. In amazing shape though. Excited to have it.

B54BA4C3-0959-4966-B67D-1CF8CDB32D9A.png

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
A unique one I managed to be lucky enough to acquire. Won’t be surprised if the original owner says hello.

View attachment 1622749
looks like nothing special so far.
View attachment 1622750

An “Art deco” style design on a USA goodwill based on the New LC design instead of the more common old type. Have never seen it before and only found a few other photos with some digging. In amazing shape though. Excited to have it.

View attachment 1622751
Wow — the long comb and the art deco cap!

Top Bottom