What's new

2023 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of The Prisoner

Still In GRUME, GRUYERE & 365 Shaves

PXL_20230315_141633658.jpeg

Feather AS-D2 with aluminum handle, Muhle Rasurkultur (16), Stirling Scots Pine Sheep and Omega EVO 2.0

A couple months ago I used this soap 3 days in a row and felt like I may have had a reaction on my skin. It was excellent today but I don't think I will use it on consecutive days.
The real story is the Feather razor. It felt like I was shaving without a blade. My thoughts were that I must not be getting a very close shave but I was AMAZED to end up with a DFS+ finish after 2 passes and a couple touch-ups. The lighter weight aluminum handle made it easy to use no pressure strokes. The Muhle blade was as smooth as silk.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Well, gentlemen, this is a rather strange turn of events…

As some of you may know I have recently had to start blood thinners. There is some debate as to whether or not wet shaving is allowed or not. My doctor said no, so I begrudgingly purchased an electric razor.

After trying, and hating, dry shaving with an electric razor, I tried wet shaving. Although it took about a week to get used to, how things have improved within that week!

I am now in a very awkward place. Still being a newbie at electric shaving, I am already getting shaves as close as any DE I have ever used. This is a revelation for me, as any DE that was efficient enough for me, inevitably hurt my skin. Now no more! As an added bonus, with an electric razor, there is no irritation, and it is faster as well. And the icing on the cake is that, through an honest freak coincidence, I actually got paid to adopt an electric razor. More detail there if you want.

So now, where does that leave me and GRUYERE? Where does it leave me and B&B? As I see it, I can still use my creams, and maybe even my shave sticks, in the shower. I still need balm. I no longer need razors or blades. But, a world of great-smelling aftershave splashes is opened up to me, because they will no longer hurt my skin.

What should I do?

So now, where does that leave me and GRUYERE? Where does it leave me and B&B? As I see it, I can still use my creams, and maybe even my shave sticks, in the shower. I still need balm. I no longer need razors or blades. But, a world of great-smelling aftershave splashes is opened up to me, because they will no longer hurt my skin.
Well, you can start by sending me your Rocca :thumbsup:! I like a NEW SC too by the way. No just kidding.

That's a mansize predicament you have there. The doctors orders are temporarily I assume? That would mean you can pick up DE shaving in due time again. But I think the question behind the question is do you only shave for the end result or do you enjoy the process as well? I came from electric shaving to DE shaving little over a year ago and I have always found shaving to be a chore. Just something I had to do. With DE shaving I find that it's ME-time and as much about the process as the end result.

That said there are ways perhaps to enjoy it still. New developments (such as the Philips One Blade) can open shaving soaps and preshaves to electric shaving as well. So you would still have (some of) the experience, but just different.

By the way - you can also cut yourself with an electric razor (particularly the foil blade types). Would a very mild razor be a possibility?

In any case, I hope you stick around and I wish you well!

Cheers,

Guido (#44).

Date16.03.2023
365 days of shaving75/365 (100%)
GRUYERE75/365 (100%)
GRUME March16/31 (100%)
03/12 (100%)
Soap of the Month Club (SOTMC)
16/31 (100%)
01/12 (83%)

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCLDorco ST300HQ (9)Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashMike’s Barbershop
Proraso Green
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)9/10 (two tiny weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (BBS-)8/10 (smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

There are fine distractions showing up here and there. Including really unique razors at relatively bargain prices. Telling the LOTH about GRUME and GRUYERE helps me to keep in check. So still in.

Good shave - nice smooth result.

Further details can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your shave!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Well, you can start by sending me your Rocca :thumbsup:! I like a NEW SC too by the way. No just kidding.

That's a mansize predicament you have there. The doctors orders are temporarily I assume? That would mean you can pick up DE shaving in due time again. But I think the question behind the question is do you only shave for the end result or do you enjoy the process as well? I came from electric shaving to DE shaving little over a year ago and I have always found shaving to be a chore. Just something I had to do. With DE shaving I find that it's ME-time and as much about the process as the end result.

That said there are ways perhaps to enjoy it still. New developments (such as the Philips One Blade) can open shaving soaps and preshaves to electric shaving as well. So you would still have (some of) the experience, but just different.

By the way - you can also cut yourself with an electric razor (particularly the foil blade types). Would a very mild razor be a possibility?

In any case, I hope you stick around and I wish you well!

Cheers,

Guido (#44).

How often do you nick yourself. I have only nicked myself once in a year, but get weepers occasionally. If you're not likely to cut yourself the risk would be relatively low. Not trying to tell you to go against doctors advice, but you know you better than they do.

Thanks very much for your thoughts, gentlemen. I'll respond...

The blood medication is likely not temporary, unfortunately. I have been on blood thinners before and tried shaving, and the result was not fun. I didn't have to go to the hospital or anything, but I found it much easier to cut myself.

A mild razor is unfortunately not a possibility. In terms of DE razors, I need an incredibly efficient one to get BBS. My hair grows in different directions. Usually I can only shave every other day, because even with an incredibly efficient, relatively gentle razor, my sensitive skin needs to take a break after a shave. I was experimenting with new razors, so I nicked myself not infrequently.

The comment about "ME-time" really resonated. When I first started, that was definitely the case. At my current stage of life, shaving is not so luxurious, because of other responsibilities. I have switched from soaps to creams over the past couple of years, because it is faster. I have recently found myself shaving only once every couple of days, because it's just not worth the hassle. The medical issue caused introspection, which made me realize it has become a chore.

Just over the past few weeks, I have been enjoying my shower electric shaves more and more. I can still use shave cream - I actually have to - only now I don't need to spend the time lathering it up. So, I can use up my existing stash of tubed creams. Aftershave balm is still needed, so I can use up those as well. There is the added bonus that now I can shave every day, because my skin isn't irritated. So now I can justify using an aftershave splash that smells great, without causing the previous redness and irritation.

Electric razors have changed a whole lot since I last used them. The Arc 5 is literally as close as my most efficient DE razors. I had previously tried electrics razors before 2010, and they quite frankly just could not compare to modern offerings. Mind blown!

I will still come to B&B, and still participate in GRUYERE. I now have to figure out what to use for my exception...

I can see that it requires a reset @CzechCzar. When life give you lemons you make lemonade - corny as it sounds. And if it became a chore again, might as well get it over with the most efficient and effective way.

And indeed you still get to shave and electric shaving is not what it used to be with all the new technologies coming in. The new Shaver series from Phillips (Norelco in the US?) could be an exception worthy item.

Best,

Guido

Well, gentlemen, this is a rather strange turn of events…

As some of you may know I have recently had to start blood thinners. There is some debate as to whether or not wet shaving is allowed or not. My doctor said no, so I begrudgingly purchased an electric razor.

After trying, and hating, dry shaving with an electric razor, I tried wet shaving. Although it took about a week to get used to, how things have improved within that week!

I am now in a very awkward place. Still being a newbie at electric shaving, I am already getting shaves as close as any DE I have ever used. This is a revelation for me, as any DE that was efficient enough for me, inevitably hurt my skin. Now no more! As an added bonus, with an electric razor, there is no irritation, and it is faster as well. And the icing on the cake is that, through an honest freak coincidence, I actually got paid to adopt an electric razor. More detail there if you want.

What should I do?
Hi,

Well, you are Still In here. The electric is still an allowed exception for a medical reason.

Additional electric razors would be following the Electric Bunny, though.

RabbitHole.jpg

Is an Electric Bunny named Buzz??

Stan

Yesterday was my two year anniversary on B&B!!!
Still In GRUME, GRUYERE and 365 Shaves

PXL_20230316_195558218.jpeg

Feather DX with AC Pro (2), Declaration Grooming Dirtyver and Omega 81054

After posting yesterday, I noticed it was my anniversary with B&B. It has been a fun and meaningful ride so far. It is the only online site I make comments on a daily basis.

Learning new skills is important to me. I am glad I took the challenge to use a straight razor. The DX can shave at a very shallow angle. It has also challenged me to hone and refine all the other techniques of wet shaving.
Every shave is a learning experience and "restraintful contentment" is also a good learning experience.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

I must admit, I am out as of today. Just bought another razor. I did sell one of my own last week, but still, it is a shave purchase. So, with pain in my heart, I say farewell ;-) I will continue though using my products I already have, nothing changes there. So will sign up for some montly grumes probably

Thanks and good luck to all!

no #55 signing off

Top Bottom