What's new

MacDuffs?

Ive only seen a handful of reviews of them on here or online but all ive seem have been great. Wondering if this company deserves more attention or if there's a reason they aren't as popular as other artisans. I personally like their label designs and been using their Old Strathcona offering and been pretty happy with it, but im not the best judge to compare soap performance. Curious to hear peoples thoughts on it.
IMG_5544.jpeg

I have the unscented, as yet unused. I wasn't expecting its dark color. There's actually a hint of scent from something that won't go away, even with the lid removed. I'll get around to lathering eventually; at least we're talking about it.

I have a couple of MacDuff's soaps. Scents are highly subjective so choose wisely. Some don't resonate with me as per the description, but YMMV. The base is top notch. It's a little softer than I'd prefer, similar to Declaration Grooming, but builds a dense, gluey, low structure lather that I prefer. I'd say it's one of my favorite soap bases on par with GD and B&M. I bowl lather if that matters. I believe you can get samples from one of the stockists.

I have a couple of MacDuff's soaps. Scents are highly subjective so choose wisely. Some don't resonate with me as per the description, but YMMV. The base is top notch. It's a little softer than I'd prefer, similar to Declaration Grooming, but builds a dense, gluey, low structure lather that I prefer. I'd say it's one of my favorite soap bases on par with GD and B&M. I bowl lather if that matters. I believe you can get samples from one of the stockists.
What would you say are your favorite scents?

I have Back Country Bourbon. I like both the scent and performance a lot. As others have said, it's similar to DG Milksteak base, kind of a croap. Personally I wish they had an alcohol splash, I find their splash just a little tacky in feel, but it carries the scent well. Good stuff.

Old Strathcona is similar to Seville, but superior in every way. The scents from OS are individual and come in waves. Seville is much more uniform. I hope this doesn't come across as bashing Seville because I do really enjoy it.

Also picked up Trail Tobacco and it's also wonderful. This is coming from someone who doesn't smoke.

While I am sure this will change, the only additions to the den I am considering these days are from MacDuffs.

Just bought my first 2 macduffs sets. Royal earl grey and Rose gold. The rose gold is ridiculously soft and the soap became a mush on loading with a brush. The royal earl grey is better. Got a replacement rose gold on the way. Very soft soaps compared to the other artisans I have. Was really impressed with the lathers though and the scents are really nice.

Forgot to say. After my issue with the rose gold, A few people said it was better not to load soap from the tub and scoop some out. Also to leave the tub of the rose gold off for a week or so as it looked like it hadn't cured properly.

MacDuffs V4 is probably the best base out there. Especially like that their tallow is sourced locally from a family run farm and their beef is grass fed - means high quality. Mind you it is a softer soap, so better scoop it.

If there is a fault to them, then that they dont smootch with the Wettubers - hence their name is not as often mentioned.

I love their soaps. Absolutely agree, they're underrated and deserve a lot more mention. I rank them up at the top with performance. Old Strathcona was my first of theirs and I fell in love. I got Christmas Cabin and Candy Cane for holiday scents. Christmas Cabins scent was like amazing! And every time I use Candy Cane I had to have a cup of peppermint hot cocoa.

I'm ordering Wild Rose Country and am struggling to decide if I want Icefields Parkway or Kananaskis Explorer with it.

My only complaint with MacDuffs is with the after shaves. They tend to leave a sticky feel on my face. When they doing my face just feels super oily. It's my understanding that they're working on a new formula to address these issues. If they could make an alcohol version of their splashes I might just stock their entire line without a second thought.

I am planning to purchase a soap and splash, possibly 2 for my birthday in may.
I want to support a Canadian business!

I have never tried or smelt a bay rum. How does the Prairie rum runner compare?

My only complaint with MacDuffs is with the after shaves. They tend to leave a sticky feel on my face. When they doing my face just feels super oily. It's my understanding that they're working on a new formula to address these issues. If they could make an alcohol version of their splashes I might just stock their entire line without a second thought.

Agreed, I thought they probably work better in winter months - which they do - but still didn’t like the way my head/face felt.

So to me my winning combo is a MacDuffs v4 soap paired with Zingari Man Recovery Splash. Spa for the skin.

Agreed, I thought they probably work better in winter months - which they do - but still didn’t like the way my head/face felt.

So to me my winning combo is a MacDuffs v4 soap paired with Zingari Man Recovery Splash. Spa for the skin.
I've found applying it to damp hands and face takes care of the sticky feel and lessens the greasy/oily feel but it is still very noticeable.

Top Bottom