What's new

They wouldn't have any idea...

In my dads day he popped one side full and the back side smaller. This allowed just enough air so it drank slower.

And oil cans you did the double hole right next to each other and one full hole 180 degrees so oil would come out faster. Then they got fancy with the oil can spout. Poured with less mess.

Oh the good ol days

Legion

Staff member
View attachment 1620578

Coors messed with this in the mid 70s. Use your middle thumb joint to pop them in, fingertips tended to get sliced. They made a plastic opener that pushed both in at once, only saw it at the pro shop snack bar.
The finger chopper!

When I was a little kid I didn't have the hand strength to open those properly, so you ended up putting them down, putting all your weight on your thumb until it popped through, your thumb went into the can and flayed itself.

Beer of choice in high school (yes, high school) was PBR.

And when funds were tight, Red White and Blue, Pabst's value brand.

When I toured the Weinhard Brewery in Portland, many years ago, the tour guy simply described the process for making Bohemian (the cheap stuff) as adding water to Blitz Weinhard, the flagship beer. Tour guy was just some brewery worker, taking a couple of minutes to show us the mashing tuns and the vats. Main part of the tour was the tap room.

CB4932EF-82B7-48C8-AB38-21278D8C1BD8.jpeg

The deluxe model.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
When I was a kid Dad drank Olympia. One bottle, every evening after work, while reading the paper at the kitchen table. Once he was done we could have supper.

Early on Olympia convinced me that I didn't need to work too hard to like beer. Also, a guy who only drinks one a day usually knows how many were still in the case when he last pulled one out. :) We hit some hard times and Dad switched to Elkhorn, which made Oly taste like champagne. I noticed he went back to Oly after a few cases. In later years he went to Red Dog because Mom liked it, too.

Mrs. Hippie has one of those double-ended openers. Hers says, "Beer Belongs."

O.H.

I'm kinda stupid, but even I see the problems with that design!
Yes, it was a ticklish thing to open. I recall we would very cautiously push down on the two openings. As they began to open you eased off the pressure so that the sharp edge would not cut you. Honestly, at the time it was just how it was - you didn't know any different. I also don't recall any buddies cutting themselves. To look at it today you can only wonder how it got past the idea phase and was actually produced, and for a number of years.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was glad to see pull tops disappear. You'd see ring pulls littering all the hiking trails in Montana when I was growing up. I don't miss them at all. The "whatever the proper term is" are much better now... you pull the ring and the tab is pushed internally into the can.

The only negative? Guys have to buy actual rings for their girlfriends... no more going steady with a ring pull minus the tab on a gf's finger. :devil:

Legion

Staff member
I was glad to see pull tops disappear. You'd see ring pulls littering all the hiking trails in Montana when I was growing up. I don't miss them at all. The "whatever the proper term is" are much better now... you pull the ring and the tab is pushed internally into the can.

The only negative? Guys have to buy actual rings for their girlfriends... no more going steady with a ring pull minus the tab on a gf's finger. :devil:
Yeah, you would always cut your feet on them at the beach too.

Top Bottom