What's new

Something new, something old?

Greetings from the FNG (friendly new guy) to safety razor shaving (or is it double edge, or both?).

I recently purchased a Gillette safety razor after decades of using cartridges. It did the trick but seemed to take multiple passes to get a smooth shave (I also use barbasol, not soap, in case that's relevant).

I was almost ready to go back to cartridges when I happened into a an antique store where I found this old adjustable razor. Being a noob, I naturally turned it up to 9 for the first go. Super smooth shave in two passes, with some free blood letting as a bonus!

I'm not sure if my method or shaving cream would have made it better (turning it down to 7 for the next go). But I'm also curious if anyone recognizes this and can tell me anything more about it (age, quality, cleaning tips, etc.).

Thanks in advance for your responses!
20230311_111340.jpg
20230311_111153.jpg
20230311_111243.jpg

lasta

Blade Biter
This is a Gillette Slim Adjustable, M1 suggests first quarter 1967. My first razor, and IMO the last razor anyone "needs".

I'd suggest you dial it to 5 as a starting point and work up/down according to your preferences.

Barbasol is fine. But make extra effort pre-shaving to wet your face thoroughly. Aim for 4 minutes of proper hydration at least.

Enjoy your shaves!

It looks to me like a Gillette Slim. James Bond used one in the 1960's. I've forgotten which movie.

I think your technique AND your appalling choice of cream may be to blame. You don't have to spend a lot of money. Get some La Toja cream and a Yaqi or Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements brush. Neither of these are expensive. You can get brushes at Walmart, for that matter and WM and other places sell La Toja.

As for technique, get a good blade, such as a Gillette Nacet. Put the razor on about 5 because I don't know your beard. Then, hold the handle at about a 30* angle from your face and using zero pressure make short strokes. If you need more efficiency you can go up a click. Work on razor weight only and no pressure from you and the proper angle. You can ride the cap a little until you come down to the proper angle.

This is a Gillette Slim Adjustable, M1 suggests first quarter 1967. My first razor, and IMO the last razor anyone "needs".

I'd suggest you dial it to 5 as a starting point and work up/down according to your preferences.

Barbasol is fine. But make extra effort pre-shaving to wet your face thoroughly. Aim for 4 minutes of proper hydration at least.

Enjoy your shaves!
Thanks. The antique store where I got this had a case with at least a dozen other double edge and other razors that looked at least this old or older.

Maybe I can go back and get some pictures if anyone is interested.

It looks to me like a Gillette Slim. James Bond used one in the 1960's. I've forgotten which movie.

I think your technique AND your appalling choice of cream may be to blame. You don't have to spend a lot of money. Get some La Toja cream and a Yaqi or Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements brush. Neither of these are expensive. You can get brushes at Walmart, for that matter and WM and other places sell La Toja.

As for technique, get a good blade, such as a Gillette Nacet. Put the razor on about 5 because I don't know your beard. Then, hold the handle at about a 30* angle from your face and using zero pressure make short strokes. If you need more efficiency you can go up a click. Work on razor weight only and no pressure from you and the proper angle. You can ride the cap a little until you come down to the proper angle.
Thanks for the info.
Am I correct in assuming 9 is the most aggressive angle?
I also read somewhere that people like Feather razor blades, are they worth getting?
Im also curious about the best way to clean and maintain this razor (first cleaning was with a toothbrush and dawn).

lasta

Blade Biter
Thanks for the info.
Am I correct in assuming 9 is the most aggressive angle?
I also read somewhere that people like Feather razor blades, are they worth getting?
Im also curious about the best way to clean and maintain this razor (first cleaning was with a toothbrush and dawn).
9 is the most aggressive.

I like Feathers too, but considering you've been bloodied in the first bout, might not be the most forgiving starter.

Gillette Silver Blues work for most people. After 70+ blades, it is still my favorite.

I haven't cleaned my Slim during the first 10 years of use. Rinse and shake.

I like Feathers too, but considering you've been bloodied in the first bout, might not be the most forgiving starter.

Gillette Silver Blues work for most people. After 70+ blades, it is still my favorite.

I haven't cleaned my Slim during the first 10 years of use. Rinse and shake.
Rinse & Shake seems to work just fine for me.

Thanks again. I have 1 or 2 more spare blades, so I will work on dialing in the setting and technique before ordering new ones.

The only parts of this new routine that bother me is the time it takes for a single shave (and I'm not even doing soaps, pre or post-shave product, etc). And also the handle seems too short (maybe I'm gripping too hard, but I sometimes get hand cramps) and 4" or so seems to be the longest in this kind of razor.

Wasn't sure if your earlier reaction was to the possible pics, but I will try to get some for showing off here when I go back to the antique store next month.

Welcome! I was a cartridge user as well (30 years) before discovering DE razors. I don’t know a lot about the vintage Gillettes myself, but it sounds like you’ve gotten a lot of good advice there already.

I would echo the suggestion to get a brush and soap though. I resisted at first, it seemed an unnecessary accessory to add - why wouldn’t the canned gel or brushless cream I was using be good enough? - but it did make for a better shave. I don’t like spending a lot of time on a shave either, but it only adds maybe 2 minutes to face lather. Arko or La Toja are cheap but good, or something like Stirling or Southern Witchcrafts come in a bunch of scents and are still a very good value.

I’d also suggest getting yourself a blade sampler to find what works best for you. Feathers are super sharp, wait until your technique improves to try those.

Good luck and happy shaves!

Welcome! I was a cartridge user as well (30 years) before discovering DE razors. I don’t know a lot about the vintage Gillettes myself, but it sounds like you’ve gotten a lot of good advice there already.

I would echo the suggestion to get a brush and soap though. I resisted at first, it seemed an unnecessary accessory to add - why wouldn’t the canned gel or brushless cream I was using be good enough? - but it did make for a better shave. I don’t like spending a lot of time on a shave either, but it only adds maybe 2 minutes to face lather. Arko or La Toja are cheap but good, or something like Stirling or Southern Witchcrafts come in a bunch of scents and are still a very good value.

I’d also suggest getting yourself a blade sampler to find what works best for you. Feathers are super sharp, wait until your technique improves to try those.

Good luck and happy shaves!
Since you have tried a sampler, maybe you can answer?

~~If Feather is so sharp, what would be a sort of sharpness ranking from basic, the ones that came with my Gillette razor, to Feather?~~

Sorry. Literally right after posting I found this: The Sharpest Double Edged Razor Blades - Top to Bottom - https://hairfreelife.com/the-sharpest-double-edged-razor-blades-top-to-bottom/

lasta

Blade Biter
Since you have tried a sampler, maybe you can answer?

~~If Feather is so sharp, what would be a sort of sharpness ranking from basic, the ones that came with my Gillette razor, to Feather?~~

Sorry. Literally right after posting I found this: The Sharpest Double Edged Razor Blades - Top to Bottom - https://hairfreelife.com/the-sharpest-double-edged-razor-blades-top-to-bottom/
That site is pretty shoddy...:em3000:

Far from be all end all, but here's a better source:

Reactions: EtR
That site is pretty shoddy...:em3000:

Far from be all end all, but here's a better source:

That link helps alot. I'm not sure how the gillete King razors compare because there is no other marking on them and they aren't on the list. But I will probably aim for something in the middle next since I can always adjust the razor manually.

If Feather is so sharp, what would be a sort of sharpness ranking from basic, the ones that came with my Gillette razor, to Feather?~~

I think the site that @lasta linked to is a better source. It's not perfect, but it's a good guide, and the only one that I've seen with actual data rather than some internet guy's opinion. You can find good samplers at RazorBladesClub (or most vendors that sell blades, for that matter). The preselected ones should give you a good variety, or you can build your own.

Try to look at shaving as a self care ritual in which you can use to destress from the day. Don't rush thru it. Find some products you like. Some get into building up a lather some like the aftershave splash at the end. Experiment find what you like. It doesn't have to be a chore. It can be somthing you look forward too.

1. Recommend blade sampler and hold off the feathers until your technique improves (I've had feather blades for 4 years w/sampler pack and never used them yet).
2. your speed will improve with your technique -- I'm to the point where a two-pass shave doesn't last long enough, give it time.
3. get a brush (a cheap yaqi synthetic can be had usually under $10 and even some boars and badgers) and a "no-fail" soap like Proraso (any formulation), Cella or Stirling anything -- don't worry about pre-shave products
4. Longer handles are unnecessary for a shave, they are preference only (my technique is the same whether I'm using a Slim, Tech Travel, Milady Decollete or Gillette Knack). There's no need to hold it like a cartridge/tennis racket (you should not be getting cramps) and the benefit of holding a DE razor "daintily" is you keep the pressure at a minimum, and let the blade do the work. I always hold the Slim, Fat Boy (any DE really) near the head/on the adjustment collar and pinch it between the thumb and pointer finger and rest my pinkie finger on the bottom of the handle for stability (I have no idea what my other two fingers are doing, they're not needed). Most DE razors (and definately the Slim) are heavier than any cartridge razor and work best with a light touch, and the best way to keep a light touch and that puts the balance point towards a "head heavy" position. When it comes to longer handles, the common response/opinion is "I have big hands and need a longer handle," my hands are on the XL+ side (I can easily grip 8 throttles on a B-52 with room to spare) and I can manage a Gillette Travel Tech with 0 issues, it's all technique, practice and muscle memory--keep at it and it will come. If you're like me, you have a few years of cartridge bad habits to overcome, but the brain is elastic--case in point: my left hand was only trusted to hold nails before hammering, and I've since trained it to wield a straight razor and not decapitate me (truth told, my right hand is so pissed about my left hand's new ability that it suspects it has a hidden agenda).
5. Give it time, pay attention and speed and comfort will increase -- I wish you luck in your DE journey.
1505p_b52_004.jpg

1. Recommend blade sampler and hold off the feathers until your technique improves (I've had feather blades for 4 years w/sampler pack and never used them yet).
2. your speed will improve with your technique -- I'm to the point where a two-pass shave doesn't last long enough, give it time.
3. get a brush (a cheap yaqi synthetic can be had usually under $10 and even some boars and badgers) and a "no-fail" soap like Proraso (any formulation), Cella or Stirling anything -- don't worry about pre-shave products
4. Longer handles are unnecessary for a shave, they are preference only (my technique is the same whether I'm using a Slim, Tech Travel, Milady Decollete or Gillette Knack). There's no need to hold it like a cartridge/tennis racket (you should not be getting cramps) and the benefit of holding a DE razor "daintily" is you keep the pressure at a minimum, and let the blade do the work. I always hold the Slim, Fat Boy (any DE really) near the head/on the adjustment collar and pinch it between the thumb and pointer finger and rest my pinkie finger on the bottom of the handle for stability (I have no idea what my other two fingers are doing, they're not needed). Most DE razors (and definately the Slim) are heavier than any cartridge razor and work best with a light touch, and the best way to keep a light touch and that puts the balance point towards a "head heavy" position. When it comes to longer handles, the common response/opinion is "I have big hands and need a longer handle," my hands are on the XL+ side (I can easily grip 8 throttles on a B-52 with room to spare) and I can manage a Gillette Travel Tech with 0 issues, it's all technique, practice and muscle memory--keep at it and it will come. If you're like me, you have a few years of cartridge bad habits to overcome, but the brain is elastic--case in point: my left hand was only trusted to hold nails before hammering, and I've since trained it to wield a straight razor and not decapitate me (truth told, my right hand is so pissed about my left hand's new ability that it suspects it has a hidden agenda).
5. Give it time, pay attention and speed and comfort will increase -- I wish you luck in your DE journey.
View attachment 1622033
Thanks for all the helpful info. After looking around I settled on a 5 razor pack of Wilkinson classic for $5. After I try those I might go with a sampler for a wider test.

Will definitely try to not use a kamikaze grip on the razor next time and see it that helps.

Some thoughts regarding your comment about the shave taking too long:

1) That is how it should be especially at the beginning. Superior results will be achieved if more focus is put on what you're doing rather than how long it's taking. If the time necessary exceeds what you have available perhaps consider doing it at a different time of day.

2) FWIW, like most things with practice and experience you'll probably find you need less and less time to get the same result. When I started years ago it took an age for me to get anywhere. These days I'm usually done within ten minutes some days more like five. Not because I'm rushing but because I know what I'm doing and I know my face.

3) You may find that you end up preferring a leisurely experience with the shave. More than a few folks here do. ;)

Top Bottom