3-14-23 Tuesday
FFFMM 9/31

Razor: Merkur Progress (3-4-5)
Blade: Treet platinum(1)
Soap: Mudder Focker face lather
Brush: RR Bruce
Pre: n/a
20230314_212817.jpg

3 pass DFS++. Using this razor for the last 2 weeks has really shown me what it is all about. Really looks like I am a fan of adjustables! Got a bit flippant on the final pass and gave myself a little nick on my bottom lip. A touch of the alum block sealed it right up. Would have hit BBS with a touch up pass on 1 or 2...didnt bother.

Be well
Jay

Still in here at FFFMM Shave #10

1678855612739.png

Razor: GameChanger 68-P
Blade: Gillette Platinum (9)
Soap: Mike's Barber Shop (32)
Brush: Omega Jade Boar (50)

This is the fifth shave of this Daily Shave Sprint, me trying to see if this kit and my skills are up to daily shaving yet, and so far so good! In fact, the shaves seem to be getting progressively better.

Other than yesterday's shave. There's a story about it here but it's always good to get those occasional reminders to actually tighten up your razor all the way. :jump:

Date: March 15, 2023.
Shave: 8.
Shaving Brush: Semogue 820 Boar Bristle.
Shaving Cream: O'Melhor Classico.
Razor: Rockwell 6S in Red with base plate 3.
Blade: Gillette Nacet Blade 3, shave 2, side 3 & 4.
Preshave Wash: Hot Water, Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser.
Lathering: Bowl lather.
Shave: Pass 1 WTG, Pass 2 XTG, Pass 3 ATG, cleanup pass.
Post Shave: Cold Water splash, Alum Block.
Aftershave: Dickinson's Witch Hazel, Old Spice Wolfthorn.
End Result: Comfortable, close to BBS. Had a rough patch again on the left jawline but was able to clean it up quite well.

With this shave I'm halfway through with the planned number of shaves of 16. :)

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
FFFMM

Last night’s luxury shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (6)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, palm-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate Moisturizer

Thought I had the upper lip figured out and was close, but not close enough. Used longer strokes for everywhere else and my shave seemed to speed up a little while staying comfortable and close.

3-13-23 Monday
FFFMM 8/31

Razor: Merkur Progress (2-3-4)
Blade: Treet platinum(6)
Soap: Mudder Focker face lather
Brush: RR Bruce
Pre: n/a
View attachment 1620706
Nice slow easy 3 pass DFS+. Same shave as yesterday but blade is done, no pulling and still smooth, just left a bit behind. Razor disassembled, cleaned and dried. New Treet installed and ready to go.

Be well
Jay
Is that a normal blade-gap, or you're just drying razor with unscrewed top cap? :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Message to @flask28:

1678895124173.png

I wish this were actually true, but alas...
I am not a one trial learner!​
We've all been there.
(At least I have.)

Not tightening the handle is a serious learning opportunity. Sometimes bloody, too.​

My gear for today worked great for me.

3-15-23.X1.Mike's.BlueZenith.640.JPG

I was careful to make sure the handle was tight, too. With this razor I do not flip the blade. I've noticed that the handle can and does become loose if I don't attend to it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

20230227_122329-jpg.1613710
(Recycled pic)

March 14th,17:15
6th Fixed Four shave (4 day growth)

As I might not shave again tomorrow, I'll call this my halfway point, and offer a summary of progress.

In Neuro linguistic programming, there are four levels of competence:

Unconsciously Incompetent: Oblivious to your own inadequacies in a given task
Consciously Incompetent: Fully aware of your inadequacies.
Consciously Competent: Can carry out the task effectively and to the required standards, but it needs full attention and concentration.
Unconsciously Competent: Full autopilot. The task needs no more attention than walking or eating (for most people).

With my usual Edwin Jagger DE3D14, I can shave on full autopilot. No problem. And quickly too. With this Game Changer 68, I am currently bouncing between levels 2 and 3. I can get exactly the shave I want, but I need to pay attention, and angle corrections may still be consciously needed. I might also fall a little short of perfect in a couple of areas. However, after two weeks and six shaves with this razor, I have probably "undone" my competence with the Jagger down to a similar level.

I could probably get the Jagger back to full autopilot (or very near) within a week or two. However, I don't think I'll be that good with this razor by the end of the month. Note, that is a personal competence issue, not a equipment issue. I've shaved with the Jagger for years. Not so with the Game Changer.

I do however think I could get to that level with this razor, given enough time. A few months maybe. That makes this just the fourth double edge razor I have ever felt this way about. Others, usually more aggressive razors, I have been convinced would always have needed my full attention. That's not where my best shaves lie.

So, it's definitely a keeper! (Thanks again @Cal 🍻)

Whether this set up, or the Jagger DE3D14, become the primary razor after this month is done (I can only reach that highest shave calibre with ONE), remains to be seen. Gut instinct says it might still be the Jagger, but I am very glad of having a non-zinc cast razor in the arsenal, which I know I could very comfortably replace the Jagger with, should it wear out or get broken.

That's not to say that whichever doesn't get the top spot will never be used. But it will only be used occasionally, when I want to have a shave I have to pay full attention to.

As for the Black Pepper and Lime cream, Special Pure brush, and Wilkie blades... flawless. Having those three on board has, I think, helped make the familiarisation to this razor happen, a lot quicker.

I am feeling the same way about my razor choice, the Timeless 95OC. I had just received the razor and never used it prior to this FFFMM, so I thought it would be a good way to get to know it.

After 6 or 7 shaves I am certain this will never be an autopilot razor for me. I have long known that I prefer milder razors, even the GC 68P.

I can achieve a nice shave with the Timeless 95OC, but it requires my strict attention and care. My shaves have been close, but I'm still getting some irritation on my jaw line and chin, and serious feedback from my aftershave.

The Timeless is a beautiful razor, and I'm keeping it, (and will continue the FFFMM challenge, for now) but will switch to my new .68 base plate when this is over, if not before. I may end up selling the 95OC plate.

To paraphrase George Costanza: It's not the razor, it's me. I just don't want to work that hard, and know that I can get exactly the shave I seek from a much less aggressive razor like any of my Techs, my ASD2, or my GC 68P, and likely the Timeless with the scalloped .68 safety bar plate.

FFFMM 3/15/23, Shave No.#10

Fixed 4 Set up:
Rockwell T2 SS-Bic Chrome Platinum-APShaveCo. 28mm Silksmoke Winter-Rockwell shave cream
Optional Gear:
Proraso Green a/s splash Lozione-Guerlain Homme eau de parfum

Just 2 passes today, setting #6 ATG & setting #4 XTG. The XTG pass was more for pick ups and chin buffing. Good as new. Out the door for some steaks & ale with my girls.

Great shaves to all….

A7DD686F-94FC-4697-8289-4B292D3B7823.jpeg

FFFMM - Shave #13

Razor:
RazoRock Lupo .95 SB
Blade: Dorco Titan
(3rd Use)
Brush: AP Shave Co. Aluminum Layered Comfort handle w/Mühle STF 25mm @~55mm
Soap: Unscented With Beeswax by Stirling Soap Co.

Post-Shave:
Mennen Skin Bracer (again)
Stirling's Post Shave Balm (unscented w/menthol)

Three pass shave (last pass is more or less cleanup).

A darn fine shave (DFS+) this evening. Had a minor weeper but the aftershave delivered very little sting. My next shave will probably be Friday. I'm going to still blame Daylight Savings Time for my sporadic shaves. :)

I am feeling the same way about my razor choice, the Timeless 95OC. I had just received the razor and never used it prior to this FFFMM, so I thought it would be a good way to get to know it.

After 6 or 7 shaves I am certain this will never be an autopilot razor for me. I have long known that I prefer milder razors, even the GC 68P.

I can achieve a nice shave with the Timeless 95OC, but it requires my strict attention and care. My shaves have been close, but I'm still getting some irritation on my jaw line and chin, and serious feedback from my aftershave.

The Timeless is a beautiful razor, and I'm keeping it, (and will continue the FFFMM challenge, for now) but will switch to my new .68 base plate when this is over, if not before. I may end up selling the 95OC plate.

To paraphrase George Costanza: It's not the razor, it's me. I just don't want to work that hard, and know that I can get exactly the shave I seek from a much less aggressive razor like any of my Techs, my ASD2, or my GC 68P, and likely the Timeless with the scalloped .68 safety bar plate.

Here at our midway point, are you forming an opinion about your SOC Mistura?

Message to @flask28:

View attachment 1621523
I wish this were actually true, but alas...
I am not a one trial learner!​
We've all been there.
(At least I have.)

Not tightening the handle is a serious learning opportunity. Sometimes bloody, too.​

My gear for today worked great for me.

View attachment 1621524

I was careful to make sure the handle was tight, too. With this razor I do not flip the blade. I've noticed that the handle can and does become loose if I don't attend to it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thank you for the understanding :) lol, I lucked out this time.

Top Bottom