What's new

Gables Aftershaves are underrated

My family ran a barbarshop and hair salon until just a couple of years ago since 1970. During that time there was always a selection of Gables aftershaves and Pinaud aftershaves on the back bar. When my mom closed up shop just before she passed away, I packed up everything and put it into storage. A bit ago I was cleaning out the storage after 2 years and came across all of the aftershaves, soaps, razors and what not. I put the aftershaves into my shave den and brought them into rotation. I have to say, I really missed them! Bay Rum, Sta Cool, Spice, Classic...these are a few of the Gables. I wont go into the Pinaud because they are often discussed in the forums. But I will say, the various Gables are excellent. Looking at their website they have added menthol to many of their offerings as well. I look forward to trying them. I already have the bay rum with Menthol and I really like it, and for the prices it cant be beat. I still love Skin Bracer and what not as well. But the various gables aftershaves are a great bang for the buck too!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Gabels?
Who sells 'em? If they were more available there would be more chatter.

Gabels?
Who sells 'em? If they were more available there would be more chatter.
Some of the barber supply stores like Appleton, MD Barber, others. Amazon has gallon sizes for around $40 which might make sense if you split it with some buddies.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Some of the barber supply stores like Appleton, MD Barber, others. Amazon has gallon sizes for around $40 which might make sense if you split it with some buddies.
No, I know that beauty and barber supply houses sell it but they need to market it better or it will stay underrated forever.
Ditch the plastic bottle and I might even try it. :Veg:

No, I know that beauty and barber supply houses sell it but they need to market it better or it will stay underrated forever.
Ditch the plastic bottle and I might even try it. :Veg:
They've been around for ages but mostly sell to barbers. I think it may get sold by barbers directly to their customers that tried it at the barber shop.

BTW, I saw that Gabel's has a line of aftershaves in glass bottles now, but the price is much higher. Also, Suavecito Bay Rum is supposedly made by Gabel's. It's good.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Well, for that dirt-cheap price I suppose I can decant. @NorthernSoul
Got plenty of old glass bottles but getting tired of transferring Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer, etc.

I find a lot of those "barbershop" aftershave brands are great price/performance workhorses. Master, Lustray, Gabels, and Stephans jump to mind.

What does the "original" smell like?
Skin Bracer...but no menthol in the Gabels Original. I added some menthol crystals and it makes a economical replacement to Skin Bracer. BTW, removing the flow reducer from the Gabels bottle to add menthol crystals is not a good idea. I ended up pouring the Gabels into an old glass Aqua Velva bottle.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Although Stephans is my top cheap barber shop bay rum, I have and enjoy Gabels as well. I also have the Lilac splash from both Stephans and Gabels, and here I prefer the Gabels. Almost time for Lilac, innit?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Gabels Bay Rum is excellent. I decant mine into glass. I also have the Classic. I haven't seen Gabels Spice though. Will look for it. Thanks for the post!

Top Bottom