What's new

Asking for advice - should I continue searching for that one DE blade to replace all the others?

Something else to consider...

If you aren't already doing it, perhaps give a cold shave a try.

Decades ago, I only shaved with warm/hot and among other things could not accurately discern the variances in soap, razor geometry, blade characteristics or especially...my technique. My face was just too pampered to give me the feedback I needed.

Since switching up to cold it's been far easier for me to pick out what's working and what isn't as a lot of sub-par elements can hide in an overly cushy prep. I believe I've saved myself from many a poor shave over the years as a result.
I'll definitely give it a go, thanks! I think i mostly use lukewarm water when i shave - haven't really paid attention to that element.

Yeah, i've tried all of those blades in Fatip, but couldn't really find much of a difference...
I suppose it depends on your expectations.

These differences are often actually very subtle, and there will never be a single blade to change one's shaving experience that radically in my experience. Often blades also vary in a single 5 pack or whatever.

Sharp/dull or smooth/rough is about the limit of my blade vocabulary

It's an entire shaving system with razor, the kind of lather you have made that day, skin condition, even your mindset that makes shaves vary. All these variables stack up.

I don't think there is a 'magic bullet' or a magic blade. You just find a blade that is the least problematic, and most reliable to your taste.

You have good shaves, and so-so shaves. That's how it seems to go.

Don’t know but I love your handle. Hope you don’t end up like poor Quentin
) Well, the poor lad was only nineteen when he drowned in the odour of honeysuckle, God rest his soul... i've already outlived him by a decade, so i'm doing fine so far) I also never had a sister, so that's a plus too...

As an aside, he's one of my favorite characters from literature - along with Bazarov from "Fathers and sons" by Turgenev, Pavlov from "Black Swans" by Gazdanov and Tom Sawyer - by you know who.

Last edited:
I think Feathers are just the best you can get. The problem is that they don't last long. I think if you don't mind tossing a blade after 2 shaves there is simply no better than feather. BUT, I think there may be overrall better blades than feather for their price point and general good feel and good shaves they provide.

Not trying to sound snarky but if you only shave once a week does it really matter what blade you use?

These differences are often actually very subtle, and there will never be a single blade to change one's shaving experience that radically in my experience. Often blades also vary in a single 5 pack or whatever.

It's an entire shaving system with razor, the kind of lather you have made that day, skin condition, even your mindset that makes shaves vary. All these variables stack up.

I don't think there is a 'magic bullet' or a magic blade. You just find a blade that is the least problematic, and most reliable to your taste.

Well said. And I’d add that if you are only shaving once a week and you’ve already tried 15 blades or so it seems kind of pointless to just keep trying blade after blade.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've only been wet shaving for a year now, but for 5 of those months I was using an Artist Club single edge razor. I only have a few kinds of blades but I have to say, I can't tell huge differences between them. I have mentioned it before but I don't think I could tell which blade I was using in a double blind test. As a result, my short list won't be in any particular order.

1. Wizamet Super Iridium (500)
2. Gillette 7 O'clock black (130)
3. Gillette Platinum "Light" (100)
4. Perma-Sharp (800)
5. Personna Comfort Coated (600)
6. Kai (150)
7. Nacet (500)

I use Wizamets for any testing I do.... new razors, different base plates, etc. At the moment, I'm also rotating in Nacets, Personnas and Kais. It's only been a few months since I settled into 5 razors with an AC razor for around my nose on every shave. I have grey, old man, coarse whiskers so I do a lot of pre-shave prep and good, on the thinner side lather. All of the blades I've used have given me smooth shaves... close enough to last 12 hours... from any of those 5 razors: 4 DE razors and 1 AC SE razor.

I've watched for sales on all of the above blades to keep the costs to a minimum. I do have 7 King C Gillette blades left. I think they are excellent blades but they are costly. I've found a few 30% off sales... That's why I have higher numbers of some blades than others.

Not trying to sound snarky but if you only shave once a week does it really matter what blade you use?

Absolutely. I want a good experience from my shave no matter how infrequently it happens or how much beard is being cut.

you’ve already tried 15 blades or so it seems kind of pointless to just keep trying blade after blade.

There are far more than 15 blades available. Not to mention the fact that blades are arguably the most subjective part of the whole endeavor. I'll admit that I find it strange that OP can't tell the difference between the 15 he mentioned but who am I to say? His face, after all.

Thank you for such a thoughtful response, i appreciate it!

I'll admit that I find it strange that OP can't tell the difference between the 15 he mentioned but who am I to say?
That’s my point, to just keep trying blade after blade when he can’t tell any difference in the ones he already uses doesn’t make much sense, especially only shaving four times a month. As Alum Ladd said, no single blade is a magic bullet and after a few days his beard growth is going to look the same no matter what blade he uses.

Well said. And I’d add that if you are only shaving once a week and you’ve already tried 15 blades or so it seems kind of pointless to just keep trying blade after blade.
Thank you for responding to my questions!

Well, i don't really think that the frequency of my shaves has anything to do with what brand of a blade i should use - i mean, if it's true that for many people some blades feel noticeably smoother and more comfortable than others, and have high longevity as well, does it really matter how often they shave with them?

But you might be right in pointing out that it'd be somewhat counterintuitive to keep banging your head against the wall, so to speak, if all of the blades so far feel no different...

Last edited:
That’s my point, to just keep trying blade after blade when he can’t tell any difference in the ones he already uses doesn’t make much sense, especially only shaving four times a month. As Alum Ladd said, no single blade is a magic bullet and after a few days his beard growth is going to look the same no matter what blade he uses.

It makes some sense if you consider that he's not yet encountered the one (or several) that will work best for him. Plenty of blades in the sea, so to speak.

I will politely disagree that how often he shaves has anything to do with this. That's just my sense, I could be wrong. 🤷‍♂️

BTW, I absolutely agree that no 'magic bullets' exist in the massive spectrum of shaving products and that it is the interplay of several factors that lead to a good shave. Which is precisely why it's useful to seek out products that work best for you.

Thank you for responding to my questions!

Well, i don't really think that the frequency of my shaves has anything to do with what brand of a blade i should use - i mean, if it's true that for many people some blades feel noticeably smoother and more comfortable than others, and have high longevity as well, does it really matter how often they shave with them?
For guys that shave regularly, like every day or every other day to maintain a clean shaven look, some blades may shave a bit closer or provide a bit less irritation.

Hey guys, I was hoping you could help me out with the following “conundrum”.

I’ve been wet shaving for a couple of years and I’ve been trying out different blades in order to find the blade that I could stick with into the foreseeable future.

I usually shave only once a week with Fatip piccolo, and I’ve had experience with about 15 DE blades, namely:

1) Voskhod, Ladas, Rapira Platinum, Rapira Swedish, Sputnik

2) Derby extra, Derby Premium, Bic, Astra SP, Perma-Sharp , Feather, Bolzano

3) Gillette: 7 o’clock Super stainless , Sharpedge, Platinum, Nacet, Silver Blue, Rubie.

However, most of them feel more or less the same to me – that is, they are all equally kinda comfortable (or, more accurately, equally not uncomfortabe), and are good for about four (and a couple of them for six) shaves before I toss them. None of the blades makes me go like “Wow, that is one amazing blade” – they all feel just ok, nothing to write home about.

The only two outliers are Bic and Ladas – the former seems too sharp for my taste and I end up getting nicked more often than I do with the other blades, and the latter is dull and is tugging hair even if it’s my first shave with it.

So, I don’t really know how to make up my mind – should I just go ahead and purchase one hundred blades of like Voskhod because it’s the cheapest of the bunch or should I keep looking for a blade that like feels super smooth and give me more shaves ?

I know there are close to a hundred different blades in production, and I’ve probably only scratched the surface with the blades that I used, but is there like a point of diminishing returns or something in this case?

In other words, how many different brands of blades does it make sense to sample before giving up and just sticking with a bird in hand– if almost every blade that i try gives me kinda the same shave and i intend to use only Fatip?

I mean, will all the other blades that I try probably feel the same to me? Or is there no way of knowing that beforehand?

Should I keep buying blades samples hoping to stumble upon the blade that will force me to cry out “Eureka?” Is there any particular brand you’d suggest that I must try out?

How long did it take you guys you to find that one blade to rule them all?

I hope that my questions don’t sound too confusing.
Thank you in advance!

I'm gonna blow this up by saying:

Like you, I find no difference in the vast majority of blades that I have used, other than a very few outliers.

If Voskhod are the most affordable, and work well for you, buy a lifetime supply.

I bought 700 Astra SP withing a few months of starting DE shaving, and have zero regrets or FOMO.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Quentin_Compson, in answer to your basic question, no, you should stop searching.

To solve your problem, switch to a traditional straight razor. Your can then develop your own edge that best suits your saving technique. There are plenty of very capable SRs available in Russia to suit your needs.

Yup, and that's the blade I'm gonna use whether it's been a day or a month since last shave.
And if he consistently goes six days between shaves and is getting “equally kinda comfortable” shaves with what he’s been using I contend that there’s nothing out there that will make any noticeable difference. It’s his money, if he wants to keep trying different blades then he should go for it, that’s the only way he will ever know for sure, but he asked for opinions.

For guys that shave regularly, like every day or every other day to maintain a clean shaven look, some blades may shave a bit closer or provide a bit less irritation.
@Quentin_Compson the above seems a good yardstick in terms of optimum times between shaves to figure these things.

I would suggest shaving every couple of days with a few blades of your choice, for in that way you will get the best impression of how individual blades feel and behave.

At a week + the experiment is diminished somewhat, because in my experience the blade is doing what any blade does best, removing significant growth. The distinction becomes blurred.

If a blade is tugging on a first pass on a 1 week growth, just discard it from consideration. A Fatip is a fine OC and will take no prisoners. It will be the blade talking.

If it's a 1 week+ shave the second or certainly third pass will give a more faithful impression of blade feel and edge if said edge is not adverserly affected by the significant beard reduction it's having to do.

Last edited:
if he wants to keep trying different blades then he should go for it

Precisley. Maybe some more samples apart from the ones already tried and then if at that point no difference can be felt just pick whatever seems best/most economical. Or, perhaps look to prep/technique as others have suggested.

but he asked for opinions

Yes, indeed. Thanks very much for the discussion! 🤝

alishock

I wrap my lips around a lovely pipe
For me the Gillette line are the most consistent across the five or six different options with the platinum and yellows being my favorites. However when I have gone back to certain blades I have found that my skills will the razor now over then I started has brought other options back into contention such as astra's

Top Bottom