What's new

What’s close to old version of musgo real original scent

I loved the old version of musgo real original scent shaving cream. Now they e changed the scent (not an improvement) and doubled the price. Anybody have a rec for something similar both in scent and price (about $12 a tube)? From my recollection the scent was a clean, soapy and grassy one of that helps. Thanks.

We had a debate here a while ago where someone claimed that Musgo (No “Real” in name, shaving soap, no cream available) had a similar scent to the classic Musgo Real.

Musgo too comes from Ach. Brito, who also own Musgo Real, but costs only a fraction and works very well.
I still think there is a difference in scent, but my “opponent” in the thread was adamant that Musgo and Musgo Real Classic smelled the same.

1678561019521.png

In any case it smells nice and works quite well, but - just like Mitchell’s Wool Fat shaving soap - it likes to be used regularly or the puck will develop cracks.
Make sure you keep the soap in a container with a lid.

Hope this helps…

B.

We had a debate here a while ago where someone claimed that Musgo (No “Real” in name, shaving soap, no cream available) had a similar scent to the classic Musgo Real.

Musgo too comes from Ach. Brito, who also own Musgo Real, but costs only a fraction and works very well.
I still think there is a difference in scent, but my “opponent” in the thread was adamant that Musgo and Musgo Real Classic smelled the same.

View attachment 1619432

In any case it smells nice and works quite well, but - just like Mitchell’s Wool Fat shaving soap - it likes to be used regularly or the puck will develop cracks.
Make sure you keep the soap in a container with a lid.

Hope this helps…

B.
Ach Brito Musgo and Claus Porto Musgo Real do not smell the same. They are noth soapy smelling but not the same.

alishock

I wrap my lips around a lovely pipe
I had it once and then couldn't justify the new prices. If there is a variant that's lighter on the pocket I would be very interested

Thanks. Just ordered a tube of the mogno with free shipping from Pasteur pharmacy! Will report back.

I loved the old version of musgo real original scent shaving cream. Now they e changed the scent (not an improvement) and doubled the price. Anybody have a rec for something similar both in scent and price (about $12 a tube)? From my recollection the scent was a clean, soapy and grassy one of that helps. Thanks.
Caola-Alfa's Figaró Habzó Borotvakrém shaving cream is near identical, and cheap as well. Still in production too.

Finding someone who will ship it outside of Hungary is the real issue. It's very difficult to find.

Caola-Alfa's Figaró Habzó Borotvakrém shaving cream is near identical, and cheap as well. Still in production too.

Finding someone who will ship it outside of Hungary is the real issue. It's very difficult to find.

I was going to suggest Caola's Barbon shaving cream. Have you tried both? Barbon seems much closer to Musgo, to my nose. Figaro had more of a powdery/barbershop scent. A fantastic performer.

1690130259480.png

I was going to suggest Caola's Barbon shaving cream. Have you tried both? Barbon seems much closer to Musgo, to my nose. Figaro had more of a powdery/barbershop scent. A fantastic performer.

View attachment 1690799
Yes, I've tried Barbon. I'm not a fan of menthol in any form. I'd agree that Barbon and Figaró are part of the same family tree though, and both of the matching aftershaves for Barbon and Figaró contain menthol. I don't recall if one was stronger than the other, as it's been about fifteen years since I tried Barbon or either of the aftershaves.

I tried an überlather with Figaró and Musgo last week. Musgo is slightly sweeter smelling, whereas Figaró is more punchy, if that makes any sense.

Now here is the twist. My puck of Musgo is the newer stuff, so if the scent changed between the current formulation and the previous one I wouldn't know it. I have the opposite issue with Figaró, as all my tubes are from the older formula, and I know that it (and Barbon) have been reformulated as well. So this is a comparison of old formula Figaró with the new formula Musgo puck.

I wholeheartedly agree about the performance, and I would be content to solely use Figaró, if I could get it for a reasonable price. Looking back, Figaró is my most repeated shaving purchase, and I've probably used about 10-12 tubes over the years.

Had I known Shave-a-buck would close up shop, and that it would be near impossible to source it on my own, I would have stockpiled the stuff when I had the chance.

Oh my God I love Barbon!

Rick
Just ordered some Barbon. Never heard of it until this thread. Always loved the scent of Musgo Real but they priced themselves out of the market in my opinion. Lots of other options once you get in the $15-$20 realm. Looking forward to trying it.

Bought the cream and matching aftershave for $17...even if it sucks I’m not out too much.

Just ordered some Barbon. Never heard of it until this thread. Always loved the scent of Musgo Real but they priced themselves out of the market in my opinion. Lots of other options once you get in the $15-$20 realm. Looking forward to trying it.

Bought the cream and matching aftershave for $17...even if it sucks I’m not out too much.
It doesn't suck, unless you don't like menthol. If you don't mind my asking, where did you buy it from, and did they also carry Figaró?

I’m sure you’ll enjoy them. The aftershave smells completely different from the cream in a nice way and it’s loaded with menthol. 😊

Rick

We’ll my Barbon arrived just in time for a shave this morning. The scent does remind me of Musgo if not actually a bit stronger. The first thing I noticed is the small size of both the cream and aftershave….looks like it will work well for travel. Tiny. Now the price makes sense….haha I guess I didn’t pay attention to the contents amount before ordering.

The cream whipped up a nice lather that provides very good slickness but maybe lacking some cushion/protection. That being said, I had a great shave. My biggest surprise was the aftershave. The scent is a little different than the cream but works well together. Most of what I get for scent is menthol. Went on nice and left my skin feeling good. Scent has already dissipated after about 30 mins.

Overall a good purchase. Look forward to using it more.

Claus Porto has "Shaving Bowl with Soap Classic Scent". Does that smell anything like the old Musgo Real aftershave from 10-15 years ago, or did they change the scent?

Top Bottom