What's new

GEM Question

I have been seriously considering adding a GEM to my rotation. I have it in my head that these little fellows can provide a really close shave for very little money and am wondering what the differences are between the style (ie: the Micromatic, Junior, 1912). Is one more aggressive than the others? Smoother? Heavier? Longer? etc...

Thanks in advance for the help!

All the Gem's that I use are great shavers.:wink:The 1912 is probably the best starter s/e,but a Featherweight,G-Bar or Push Button would be equally as good.:biggrin:There is no such thing as a bad Gem.:wink::biggrin::biggrin:

All the Gem's that I use are great shavers.:wink:The 1912 is probably the best starter s/e,but a Featherweight,G-Bar or Push Button would be equally as good.:biggrin:There is no such thing as a bad Gem.:wink::biggrin::biggrin:

I totally agree.
In general most find that the 1912 is the least aggressive, most "usable" razor. The Jr. and the 1912 have very few differences. I think, besides differences in the handles, the only difference is that the Jr. has slightly more rounded corners on the side of the comb. If no one beats me to it, I'll put a couple of pics up later.
There are a few versions of the Micromatic, but they are all considered more aggressive than the 1912 models. Some will go as far to say that they aren't even worth trying, but of course those people are wrong:wink::lol: I get the best results from Micromatics.
Then, rounding out the "common" gems, are the featherweight, G-Bar, and various "push-button" models. They have one of two heads that, similar to the 1912 models, shave nearly identical. The featherweights have a light plastic handle while the G-Bars have a nice heavy metal one. The push-buttons have a button under the head to open and close the cap, while the others have a flap on the top of the cap.
There are a few other GEM's, such as the lather catchers. Those who own lather catchers will say that they are the superior razors, but I think that if I had the money to spend on a gorgeous piece of art like a wooden handle GEM, I'd say that too:biggrin: Personally, I think we need a more subjective viewpoint. Dave, Robert Paulsen, any one else I forgot, I'm awaiting your PM's to send me several lather catchers to test out so we can have some better reviews:lol:
I'm sure I forgot some, but that's the most of it. As far as the board goes, I'd say they rank as follows; 1912, lather catchers, G-bar, featherweight, Micromatic, push-button.

Dave, Robert Paulsen, any one else I forgot, I'm awaiting your PM's to send me several lather catchers to test out so we can have some better reviews:lol:
I thank you for the kind offer, but I'm still in the process of evaluating my Lather Catcher stock and expect that to take a looong time.
I'm sure I forgot some, but that's the most of it. As far as the board goes, I'd say they rank as follows; 1912, lather catchers, G-bar, featherweight, Micromatic, push-button.

I'd reverse the 1912 and the Lather Catcher (at least the 1900/1901 Junior Bar), but just barely. This is because I have found I really like the LC's light weight. That surprises me since with the DE razors I always felt more comfortable with the heavy weights. Others may like the (relative) heft of the 1912's. For me, it is really a close call but the "coolness" factor gives me another nudge towards the 1900/1901.

A to the Micromatic and G-Bar, they seem a little clumsy to me, but again, that is probably a matter of personal "fit" (and the weight issue).

I thank you for the kind offer, but I'm still in the process of evaluating my Lather Catcher stock and expect that to take a looong time.

Ah well, it was worth a shot:biggrin:
After posting I tried to find some SE info on the Wiki. Am I missing it, or is there really none to speak of? Seems like we should fix that.

Ah well, it was worth a shot:biggrin:
After posting I tried to find some SE info on the Wiki. Am I missing it, or is there really none to speak of? Seems like we should fix that.

I'll see what cages I can rattle to rectify that obvious oversight. :wink:

As it appears that I have nothing better to do but wait for it to get a little warmer outside so I can get the motorcycle out and head to the Badlands (I love that place) I took a couple of pics.

First of is a group shot of several GEM types. Those marked with "1" are various Micromatics, "2" are 1912s, "3" are Featherweights, "4" are G-Bars, "5" are Jrs, and "6" are "push-button" styles.
proxy.php

Next is a shot of the pat. 1912 head on the left and a GEM Jr. on the right.
proxy.php

As it appears that I have nothing better to do but wait for it to get a little warmer outside so I can get the motorcycle out and head to the Badlands (I love that place) I took a couple of pics.

First of is a group shot of several GEM types. Those marked with "1" are various Micromatics, "2" are 1912s, "3" are Featherweights, "4" are G-Bars, "5" are Jrs, and "6" are "push-button" styles.
proxy.php

Next is a shot of the pat. 1912 head on the left and a GEM Jr. on the right.
proxy.php

That was quick. Oh, and I miss the Badlands so bad. I could spend days just taking my time wandering through them. My grandparents used to live in Quinn about 4 miles east of Wall. We used to take the highway 240 loop through there out of Wall. When we used to live in Rapid we would take 44 scenic route. I'll bet that's how you go.

That was quick. Oh, and I miss the Badlands so bad. I could spend days just taking my time wandering through them. My grandparents used to live in Quinn about 4 miles east of Wall. We used to take the highway 240 loop through there out of Wall. When we used to live in Rapid we would take 44 scenic route. I'll bet that's how you go.

Is there any other choice but to use the scenic route when on motorcycle?:wink: 44 to the park, wander the gift shop at Cedar Pass Lodge, 240 through the park (stopping often to wander some more) to Wall, stop at the DQ for a quick bite, (my buddy owns it now, nothing better than cheap DQ:biggrin:) I-90 back to town.

Is there any other choice but to use the scenic route when on motorcycle?:wink: 44 to the park, wander the gift shop at Cedar Pass Lodge, 240 through the park (stopping often to wander some more) to Wall, stop at the DQ for a quick bite, (my buddy owns it now, nothing better than cheap DQ:biggrin:) I-90 back to town.

Pure envy. :redface:

I have been seriously considering adding a GEM to my rotation. I have it in my head that these little fellows can provide a really close shave for very little money and am wondering what the differences are between the style (ie: the Micromatic, Junior, 1912). Is one more aggressive than the others? Smoother? Heavier? Longer? etc...

Thanks in advance for the help!

My .02 is that they are one of the best shaving deals available. I know that you like str8 razors and I think that any of the GEMS would provide a surprisingly excellent shave for you. Heck for their going prices pick up a couple, you won't be disappointed....but YMMV as always.

I'm already in love with straights, but I have recently found that I enjoy the novelty of safety razor shaves as well and would like to add a few to my collection. But as I'm already used to straights I thought SEs were the way to go and something quite aggressive might be more suitable for me because I'm coming from straights, not from DEs. Now, I doubt I can afford the lather catcher and was looking to add a GEM for a reasonable price (on my student salary :tongue_sm) So I'm thinking either the 1912, Jr, or Micromatic is for me. I just can't decide which one...

I'm already in love with straights, but I have recently found that I enjoy the novelty of safety razor shaves as well and would like to add a few to my collection. But as I'm already used to straights I thought SEs were the way to go and something quite aggressive might be more suitable for me because I'm coming from straights, not from DEs. Now, I doubt I can afford the lather catcher and was looking to add a GEM for a reasonable price (on my student salary :tongue_sm) So I'm thinking either the 1912, Jr, or Micromatic is for me. I just can't decide which one...

If you're looking for aggressive, give the Micromamtic a shot. As far as individual MMs, I'd say they go from the open comb being the most aggressive, followed by the clog-pruf, then the bullet tip.

Top Bottom