What's new

Pricing on SRs

I've noticed since I've been back at SR shaving the difference on the web in pricing for some of these straights, and it makes me question a lot of these places. I've seen Bokers, TI's, and even some Ralf Austin blades sell for at least $60 less at these cutlery stores compared to the shaving online stores. I just keep coming back to if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
SR prices in stores that specialize in wet shaving are usually more expensive than in stores that don’t specialize in wet shaving, for example Knife Center, or that Amish store. This is true of many other types of goods too, specialty stores charge more.

I've noticed since I've been back at SR shaving the difference on the web in pricing for some of these straights, and it makes me question a lot of these places. I've seen Bokers, TI's, and even some Ralf Austin blades sell for at least $60 less at these cutlery stores compared to the shaving online stores. I just keep coming back to if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
One big difference will be is purchasing a straight razor from a cutlery shop is there is virtually no chance that blade will be really shave ready. It might shave but not comfortably
If you purchase that same razor from a vendor who specializes in selling shaving supplies more than likely they will hone it for you at no charge so it really will be shave ready.
Of course if you can hone it yourself you can save some money. Even sending it out to an experienced honer you might still save money. You have to do the math.

The example you mention is legit, and discounting is a function of their scale. Unit price is offset to some degree by volume.

Places like Knife Center, Red Hill Cutlery, etc... They've got to be $60 + less than other places.

Top Bottom