What's new

CCW - only 2 guns….

Par time for the El Prez is generally around 10 sec. Doing par with a G 43 is pretty good in itself! It's literally been over a decade, maybe two, since I tried an El Prez. When I was shooting IPSC/IDPA regularly I could make par with a full-sized gun fairly regularly. I'm sure I did better than par on a few occasions, but nowhere near what the pros can do. If you want some real fun, do it with a revolver! Good for lots of laughs and good-natured ribbing among your fellow competitors. A lot of otherwise good shooters will flub the revolver reload and ruin their times, even if their hits are right on the money!
I do plan on training the Prez drills with the 340PD, but I am going to wimp out and do it with .38 special. I’ll try it once or twice with .357 magnum - but I’m guessing it’ll be a hot mess due to the violent recoil in that 11oz gun.

Now, with my larger and more controllable home defense revolvers (586 plus l-comp and M&P R8) that take moon clips, I’d bet I could meet or beat the G43 times with some practice. Extraction and reloads with moon clips on those guns is very fast, and I shoot them better than the Glock.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
OK, easy pop quiz. Who knows where the term "5.11" comes from. First one with the right answer wins absolutely nothing!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I figured it would take an old guy to answer the question. Can anyone else elaborate on the hint from @jar_ ?
I did some truly stupid stuff at times.

Also was a backmarker.

AbE:

Was thinking about buying a car not too long ago and told the salesman I wanted a ragtop?

Total silence ensued.

My std cold drill is 5 shots at 5 yards. Target is a 8 inch circle.

At the beep, from concealment, big step of line, draw and fire. Par is 3 sec. I usually do it in 2.5ish with a G17/34-9mm.
2.7ish to 2.85 ish with a g22/35-40 cal. Iron sights. I do it three times, going left, going right, and then going in the direction I was slowest. What that also means is that I can fire 6 shots of 9mm in the time it would take me to fire 5 shots of .40.

Two weekends ago, I shot it 2.62 with an RDS G17. That is a time that would be on the outer edge with irons given my shooting frequency.

While I think an RDS is really starting to shine for me, particularly at 10 and out, 15 and out for sure, I am still not as fast up close.

While a 17 rd mag dump at 7 with a fist sized group speaks to excellent control, I wonder if that same 17 rounds of ammo would have more training value with 3 5 round bursts and a two round support hand only evolution?

I wore the 5.11 model made by Royal Robbins before they were the 5.11 brand at all. That is how old I am.

5.11 has to do with climbming difficulty IIRC. A rating scale if you will.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Bingo, Royal Robin had a line of rock-climbing clothing that was near indestructible that he named 5.11 after the difficulty scale for technical rock climbing. The clothing line morphed into tactical wear.

6. Citizens who feel they need to be prepared for the worst 100% of the time, and are ALWAYS packing heat, never seem to be wearing body armor. This makes no sense to me - a revolver and body armor is a better combo than a Glock 17 with 31 round mags in your underoos.

and it's hot. heavy too with plates. kinda hard to grey man it with hard armor.

also illegal in some states these days.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Actually, IIRC the scale ran to 5.10 and a 5.11 would be an impossible climb. Doing a 5.11 was doing the impossible.
Actually, the scale goes up to at least up to 5.15d, which is extremely difficult, but not impossible. This is for technical climbing in nature. Colligate competitive climbing on artificial climbing walls use the same scale, but it could be argued that is not an equalitive comparison.

Talk about stepping on a shovel with Kahr. Three? Wouldn't waste a card slot on something that has that kind of issue.

About the Kimber wheel gun. Never owned one. Did shoot someone's at the range. Lot of issues. Personally I would take a hard pass.

My advice stick with the G43. Pickup a small 380 for deep concealment. Maybe a Ruger LCPII.

Talk about stepping on a shovel with Kahr. Three? Wouldn't waste a card slot on something that has that kind of issue.

About the Kimber wheel gun. Never owned one. Did shoot someone's at the range. Lot of issues. Personally I would take a hard pass.

My advice stick with the G43. Pickup a small 380 for deep concealment. Maybe a Ruger LCPII.

Would love to hear more detail on the issues you experienced with the Kimber - you piqued my interest!

Top Bottom