What's new

First Brush Recommendations

Pretty new to wet shaving and have been using Cremo. I want to get into soaps and brushes so I’m looking to get my first brush. I’ve done a fair bit of research and there’s just so much information out there, almost too much… I have fairly sensitive skin so I think I want something with not a lot of scritch to it which seems to be between badger and synthetic.
Synthetics seem easier to follow with a lot of people overall seem to like the Muhle STF and Simpson.
Badger brushes seem to be just all over the place with all the different types.
So I wondering if I could get some recommendations on a brush that would be overall soft with maybe a mild scritch. I’m unsure on backbone preferences. I also plan on bowl lathering if that makes a difference. I know the best thing to probably do would to buy one of each to see what I like more, but I have a bad tendency to go crazy when getting into something new so I’m trying to buy one and be done… for now. I don’t have a real budget as I know it should last me years and years and years and the price range between badger and synthetic is very different.

I don't know about badgers, but good synthetics are cheap and easy to find. I'll pass on the advice that I was given when I was looking for my first synthetic about a year ago: Find any 26mm Plissoft (Italian Barber), Yaqi, or Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements brush that you like the look of and get that.

Most synthetics are between 24 and maybe 30mm. Personally, I think 26mm is too big, but big brushes seem to be trendy, so 26 is a good medium size to start with. Any of those should be $25 or less and good quality, and give you an idea of what you like - bigger/smaller, softer/scritchier, more/less backbone - without spending too much to find out.

edit: I see this is your first post. Welcome!

Are you in North America? The APShave G5 A and C synthetics are really good and the also carry the Muhle STF and a made-in-Germany (MiG) knot that is reportedly very nice. The knots are super easy to set yourself if you buy a nice handle somewhere like Elite Razors or Oumo. Have fun!

I only have a couple alternate thoughts to @T Bone . I say go with a 24mm (or 22mm even better) Plissoft. I think the smaller knot makes learning how to later a little less messy. For me personally, I hate messy! If I get careless and a mess ensues, in the right state of mind, it can ruin my shave. I think that Muhle makes a fine synthetic brush as well. Pricey but one of my favorites is the Omega Evo line of synth's.

I don't know about badgers, but good synthetics are cheap and easy to find. I'll pass on the advice that I was given when I was looking for my first synthetic about a year ago: Find any 26mm Plissoft (Italian Barber), Yaqi, or Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements brush that you like the look of and get that.

Most synthetics are between 24 and maybe 30mm. Personally, I think 26mm is too big, but big brushes seem to be trendy, so 26 is a good medium size to start with. Any of those should be $25 or less and good quality, and give you an idea of what you like - bigger/smaller, softer/scritchier, more/less backbone - without spending too much to find out.

edit: I see this is your first post. Welcome!
Given their low entry prices, I kind of expected a good idea would be to buy a synthetic due to the low price and getting a feel from there. I know brushes seem to be mostly a personal preference, but I could see a pattern in the general consensus on what’s good and not so good. Not sure if anyone had a strong preference to getting a badger vs synthetic brush, it seems some like there’s a pretty big split in the community between the two.

Are you in North America? The APShave G5 A and C synthetics are really good and the also carry the Muhle STF and a made-in-Germany (MiG) knot that is reportedly very nice. The knots are super easy to set yourself if you buy a nice handle somewhere like Elite Razors or Oumo. Have fun!
I am in North America. I’ve heard really good things about all of those. I was eyeing the G5C as well as the Muhle STF as those two seem to be mentioned the most with good reviews.

I only have a couple alternate thoughts to @T Bone . I say go with a 24mm (or 22mm even better) Plissoft. I think the smaller knot makes learning how to later a little less messy. For me personally, I hate messy! If I get careless and a mess ensues, in the right state of mind, it can ruin my shave. I think that Muhle makes a fine synthetic brush as well. Pricey but one of my favorites is the Omega Evo line of synth's.
That sounds like it would make sense. I could see how something giant would tend to get everywhere and make it more difficult seeing as I won’t be as precise. What would be the benefit of a bigger knot? I haven’t really heard too much talk about that. Is it just more efficient at making a lather and easier/quicker to lather your face?
I have heard good things about the Omega Evo, but like you said the price is certainly up there compared to others.

I don't think you need an STF or an EVO to start out, let alone a badger (you can go down that rabbit hole once you have the basics). A 24mm (or 26mm) synth should do the trick, as it is pretty hard not to make a decent lather with any of them and they are soft. Even if you move on, the 20 bucks they cost will not be a huge deal. Razorock Plissoft, PAA 24mm knots, etc, they are all great.

Given their low entry prices, I kind of expected a good idea would be to buy a synthetic due to the low price and getting a feel from there. I know brushes seem to be mostly a personal preference, but I could see a pattern in the general consensus on what’s good and not so good. Not sure if anyone had a strong preference to getting a badger vs synthetic brush, it seems some like there’s a pretty big split in the community between the two.
I didn't have any interest in any critter brushes, and my first synthetic was easily good enough to not change my mind there.

I was eyeing the G5C as well as the Muhle STF as those two seem to be mentioned the most with good reviews.
Those are both excellent brushes! I have a 24mm G5C for everyday use, and a 19mm STF for travel. They're a little more money, which is why I suggested starting with a cheaper brush to find out what size, shape (fan/bulb) etc. you prefer.

What would be the benefit of a bigger knot? I haven’t really heard too much talk about that. Is it just more efficient at making a lather and easier/quicker to lather your face?
I have no idea, tbh! A lot of folks here really like them though. 24mm is a fine starting point too, that's actually where I started. I only said 26mm because it's hard to go much smaller than 24 (though there are a few out there).

Welcome aboard!

I suggest you set a budget. Then plan to try a few brushes to determine your preferences.

Your best ’bang for the buck’ will come from synthetic or boar. Synthetics are pretty much what they are out of the box. It takes awhile to break in a boar. I might pick one of each with appealing handles and knot dimensions after reading a bit on the WiKi and brush forum.

Badgers (my personal preference) are more expensive and more in the ‘luxurious’ range. So, you might wait a bit before going down that rabbit hole. Just my $0.02!!

The main thing is to enjoy the journey!! :a29:

I don't think you need an STF or an EVO to start out, let alone a badger (you can go down that rabbit hole once you have the basics). A 24mm (or 26mm) synth should do the trick, as it is pretty hard not to make a decent lather with any of them and they are soft. Even if you move on, the 20 bucks they cost will not be a huge deal. Razorock Plissoft, PAA 24mm knots, etc, they are all great.
I think that is the route I will take, other commenters seem to have the same take. I’ll start with something cheap and easy and branch out from there if I wish to. Thank you!

I didn't have any interest in any critter brushes, and my first synthetic was easily good enough to not change my mind there.

Those are both excellent brushes! I have a 24mm G5C for everyday use, and a 19mm STF for travel. They're a little more money, which is why I suggested starting with a cheaper brush to find out what size, shape (fan/bulb) etc. you prefer.

I have no idea, tbh! A lot of folks here really like them though. 24mm is a fine starting point too, that's actually where I started. I only said 26mm because it's hard to go much smaller than 24 (though there are a few out there).
I think I’ll start with a cheaper 24mm or 26mm. From there I can work my way towards something more expensive like a G5C/STF if I decide I want to. Thank you for the help!

Welcome aboard!

I suggest you set a budget. Then plan to try a few brushes to determine your preferences.

Your best ’bang for the buck’ will come from synthetic or boar. Synthetics are pretty much what they are out of the box. It takes awhile to break in a boar. I might pick one of each with appealing handles and knot dimensions after reading a bit on the WiKi and brush forum.

Badgers (my personal preference) are more expensive and more in the ‘luxurious’ range. So, you might wait a bit before going down that rabbit hole. Just my $0.02!!

The main thing is to enjoy the journey!! :a29:
Yeah, I think the best route is to get a cheaper synthetic and see what I like/want preference wise. If I want to, then I can upgrade or branch out to try a badger brush. Would rather buy something more expensive knowing its what I like instead of hating it. I imagine most people here that buy higher quality/more expensive brushes know what they like and aren’t blind buying.
Enjoying it very much so far. I can only imagine with the brush it’ll be even more fun to shave. I can already feel the difference between when I used cartridges. And even though it takes me considerably longer to shave I actually enjoy it.

Pretty new to wet shaving and have been using Cremo. I want to get into soaps and brushes so I’m looking to get my first brush. I’ve done a fair bit of research and there’s just so much information out there, almost too much… I have fairly sensitive skin so I think I want something with not a lot of scritch to it which seems to be between badger and synthetic.
Synthetics seem easier to follow with a lot of people overall seem to like the Muhle STF and Simpson.
Badger brushes seem to be just all over the place with all the different types.
So I wondering if I could get some recommendations on a brush that would be overall soft with maybe a mild scritch. I’m unsure on backbone preferences. I also plan on bowl lathering if that makes a difference. I know the best thing to probably do would to buy one of each to see what I like more, but I have a bad tendency to go crazy when getting into something new so I’m trying to buy one and be done… for now. I don’t have a real budget as I know it should last me years and years and years and the price range between badger and synthetic is very different.
For some reason synthetic brushes give me brush burn and irritation if i face lather and splay the brush too much. They work grate for bowl lathering. For face lathering nothing beats a badger or a boar brush in my opinion.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yeah, I think the best route is to get a cheaper synthetic and see what I like/want preference wise. If I want to, then I can upgrade or branch out to try a badger brush. Would rather buy something more expensive knowing its what I like instead of hating it. I imagine most people here that buy higher quality/more expensive brushes know what they like and aren’t blind buying.
Enjoying it very much so far. I can only imagine with the brush it’ll be even more fun to shave. I can already feel the difference between when I used cartridges. And even though it takes me considerably longer to shave I actually enjoy it.
First of all, welcome to B&B. You'll end up meeting some very kind and informative people here.

Brushes.... They were one of the first things I investigating after joining. I bought quite a few less expensive synth brushes but I've either given most of them away or sold them here, after my first 45 days were up and I had access to our BST forum. (Buy Sell Trade). Lots of people love their synth brushes. One thing you very quickly discover here is.... all of us have different kinds of skin, some more sensitive that others and there are so many different feels we like on our faces when we use a brush.

If you want to try a natural hair brush what won't break the bank and yet will have a nice feel right out of the box, I'd recommend the Semogue Owner's Club (SOC) Mistura brush. They are a mixed bristle brush: badger and boar. They are excellent on first use and only get better as time goes on. i just checked the pricing on eBay, YourShaving and Gifts and Care.... They are around $80 depending on the supplier. That might be more than you want to spend initially. I'm only mentioning them because they were the first brushes I truly liked other that a fairly expensive synth brush I started with... and that one is moot since it's no longer available.

The other brand I'd take a look at is Zenith. You can find them on eBay. I have one of their Manchurian Badger brushes... 27.1mm in their 506 solid copper handle. It's a great place to start with a badger brush... They are around $100. Zenith makes very nice boar brushes as well and those are considerably less expensive. They also feel quite nice right out of the box.. for me, at least.. and do improve as they break in.

I do think you are on the right track with the STF fiber synth brushes. My wife is using the one I bought with a Rudy Vey handle he turned for me. It was also in the "not inexpensive" category. AP Shave Co now has access to the STF fiber knots as well. I'd choose the 25mm instead of the 21mm but that's a personal preference.

That's probably more of my opinions than you need to read. You'll have to find your own way, of course. One thing you can do is read the various journals posted here. They sort of map out the journeys many of us have taken. I got most of the shaving brush advice I ended up following was from @Chan Eil Whiskers journal (Damn Comfortable Shave - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/damn-comfortable-shave.526419/page-642#post-12155806) He posts almost every day so it will be easy for you to find his posts. I read his journal from start to finish, along with a few other of the threads he started along the way. It turns out, we like the same face feel in brushes. I wasted quite a bit of time and money before I started reading his posts. That will be your best bet... try to find someone who shares your preferences for the face feel of a brush and make select purchases as you go along.

Last edited:
Top Bottom