What's new

My New GreenCult 2.0

Good morning
Well, I received the razor a few days a go and have managed to get in a few shaves. I started with a Nacet that had 3 shaves on it already. Now the razor has been re-designed since I owned the 1.0. Different cap and handle besides the base plates. The original handle was longer and skinnier and not that great for me. This handle is just fine. The original weighed in at 122 gm, the 2.0 according to my kitchen scale is 125gm. The gap and exposure was .95 and .25 respectively. I ordered the III plate and it's .85 and .15 in comparison. The original had a fair amount of blade feel to me and was definitely aggressive. I liked it when I first got it and tended to be a bit cautious for the first few shaves. I got used to it and it was fine. However the balance and long handle didn't work for me and eventually I sold it.
Then I read about the 2.0 from a few members and how they really enjoyed the razor. I looked and liked the new design, shorter and thicker handle and decided to pull the trigger.
It arrived fairly quickly and I noticed their packaging actually went backwards a bit in that it used a plastic razor holder/insert in the box. The quality of the razor is top-notch and everything fit beautifully. I like the satin finish and doubt I'll do any polishing unless I'm completely bored one day. Blade clamping is excellent, no chatter etc.
Now onto the performance. As I said I used a Nacet with a few shaves on it to begin with. First pass WTG and I noticed there's still a good amount of blade feel...less than the 1.0 but still noticeable. Ok then, I proceeded and noticed the shave was, so far, very comfortable with some audio as well.
As I got into the ATG pass after re-lathering, I was impressed with the efficiency this razor was giving me. I think the GC has a better ATG pass than the OverLander...high praise indeed. Shaving around the chin was without any drama at all. And the resulting shave was truly BBS and lasted well past 12 hours as far as needing another shave was concerned. I'd shaved at 7 pm and at 7 am I did not need to shave for work. Very impressive.
I understand the price increase but the packaging could be a bit better for what you're spending and no plastic.
So if there's anyone still wondering whether or not to buy this razor...DO IT! An excellent razor all around.
IMG_2587.jpeg

Welcome to the club! Enjoy your razor! Thanks for your review of the level III plate. I got mine with level II and it seems to be sufficient Blade feel for now. I can get a GC1 next year - sounds daunting at present and yet too curious not to know.

Cheers,

Guido

I understand the price increase but the packaging could be a bit better for what you're spending and no plastic.
I suspect part of the packaging choice is their focus on "GREEN" production. That plastic is probably some sort of new-fangled plant-based plastic.

I'm not saying anything specific for or against ESG or "Green" related initiatives! If you look at their storefront, the breadth of their products are oriented toward common Green initiatives as seen in Europe.

I'm curious about the attraction to Green Cult razors.

While they look to be a quality item, I am having difficulty understanding how they stand out from other more recognized names and razors in the ~100€ price range.

The handle to me looks pretty bulky so, the aesthetic quality is lacking to me. In a ~70€ price range (VAT may skew that some), the Muhle Rocca and Edwin Jagger 3one6 seem like solid options though changeable base plates aren't an option.

Then you have all the Razorock options and various similar items from other sources. To be honest, while the Green Cult razor looks like a solid option, I don't see how it competes outside of the local market against other razors like these.

If it was something more "artisanal" with a nice polish or, made from something more unique like Lambda out of Greece with the Marine Brass, I could see myself being more interested in it.

While they look to be a quality item, I am having difficulty understanding how they stand out from other more recognized names and razors in the ~100€ price range.

The handle to me looks pretty bulky so, the aesthetic quality is lacking to me. In a ~70€ price range (VAT may skew that some), the Muhle Rocca and Edwin Jagger 3one6 seem like solid options though changeable base plates aren't an option.

Then you have all the Razorock options and various similar items from other sources. To be honest, while the Green Cult razor looks like a solid option, I don't see how it competes outside of the local market against other razors like these.

If it was something more "artisanal" with a nice polish or, made from something more unique like Lambda out of Greece with the Marine Brass, I could see myself being more interested in it.
I totally understand your "what's the big deal" about the GC razor. I like the looks personally and they've truly improved the performance etc over the 1.0 imho. What I found to differentiate the GC is the wonderful shaves I've gotten w/o having to go through a bunch of plates etc to find the sweet spot for me. I just went with the plate that was a bit less than the original 1.0 base plate. I also have the Rocca and while it's a very good razor it doesn't possess quite the same amount of "ease of handling" that the GC does...for me. And yeah the Athena by Lambda is gorgeous.

Last edited:

The attraction is that it's a great razor. I had the version 1 and it worked incredibly well for me, it was one of my favorite razors. It gives the closest shave for me out of anything I owned at that time. GC 2 was going to be released and beta testers were reporting back it shaved smoother without any loss of efficiency. Some had issues with the GC v1 being too aggressive, so they offered milder options.
My original GC v1 cost less than my RR Lupo which is another really great razor, the GC v 1 and 2 are better shaving razors for me.

My original GC v1 cost less than my RR Lupo which is another really great razor, the GC v 1 and 2 are better shaving razors for me.
How are they better for you than your RR Lupo? Which RR Lupo are you comparing out of the 6 options I see?

I have received my GC2.0 a week ago, and it has instantly become my daily driver. I highly recommend it.

Previously, I was using a Muhle Rocca, which I very much liked. The Rocca is gorgeous and feels great in the hand, but I would have to be very cautious and careful, and still would always end up with a nick or two somewhere around me face. My Alum block would let me know that the shave is hard on the face.

The GC2.0, on the other hand, is just much nicer and easier to use. I use the II plate currently (I also have the III plate, but I’m getting excellent results from the II plate). I get an excellent shave with just two passes (ATG and XTG). There are no nicks or cuts, and there is zero feedback from my Alum block. The plates have nice markings on them to let you know that they are a II or a III plate (both laser etching and a physical cut out). The blade fits fantastically in the razor head, with the tabs completely hidden. The razor is easy to clean with just a swish in water (I’m a daily shave, so I always shave a very short stubble).

I do have some criticism of the GC2.0. First, I think that the handle is not the prettiest. It has a flat bottom, so it stands straight, and it is comfortable to use, but it just isn’t great looking. Second, the packaging is quite cheap — the 3D printed plastic carrying case had broken in places by the time it got to me. Having said that, these are relatively minor complaints. The handle is easy to fix: I may buy a third-party handle that is nicer looking. The packaging is disappointing, but I simply threw the box away, so that’s a distant memory.

Overall, I was skeptical that a new razor would be that much different than the ones I already have. However, I had been proven wrong. The GC2.0 is simply giving me consistent great shaves, with no nicks or cuts. This is very pleasurable, and a distinct improvement from razors I had used before.

That attraction is mainly based on the GC1 (which is actually the second 1.0 - the first one had a Zamak head and after some complaints they switched to all stainless steel) - that was a .95 with .25 blade exposure all CNC for €40. One brother was curious enough to try it and reported stellar (yes stellar) shaves. Something along the lines of two pass BBS. You can perhaps imagine that those results peaked some interest so more people started buying.

Second, don’t forget that this razor is made in the EU and therefore a lot more economical for non US brothers. A Lupo or Game Changer cost €110 including taxes and fees over in Europe - even when sourced directly from Italian Barber. Offset that against €40. Anything coming from outside the EU is met by 21-28% tax increase (calculated over the amount including shipping). There are exemptions.

The GC1 was successful but also very aggressive. Hence the birth of the GC1.1 which still delivers excellent shaves. Another popular item. Higher priced though, because they started doing their maths too. And frankly I think originally they were targeting a different demographic. It just caught on with crazy wet shavers like us.

The GC2 is successful because of the two other ones and because of the Karve like modularity. All their razors are not going for looks (although that’s in part in the eye of the beholder) which keeps prices in sync I guess.

The GC2 is one of the heavier razors I have, but the II baseplate shaves wonderfully. I have no idea if it’s better than a Lupo or Game Changer, but I have seen fellow brothers sell all their RR configurations because this GC2 provides them a better shave. And I must say with the right blade it gives my Ti95 serious competition…from a results perspective. Overall my Ti95 reigns supreme in my den.

Cheers,

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That attraction is mainly based on the GC1 (which is actually the second 1.0 - the first one had a Zamak head and after some complaints they switched to all stainless steel) - that was a .95 with .25 blade exposure all CNC for €40. One brother was curious enough to try it and reported stellar (yes stellar) shaves. Something along the lines of two pass BBS. You can perhaps imagine that those results peaked some interest so more people started buying.

Second, don’t forget that this razor is made in the EU and therefore a lot more economical for non US brothers. A Lupo or Game Changer cost €110 including taxes and fees over in Europe - even when sourced directly from Italian Barber. Offset that against €40. Anything coming from outside the EU is met by 21-28% tax increase (calculated over the amount including shipping). There are exemptions.

The GC1 was successful but also very aggressive. Hence the birth of the GC1.1 which still delivers excellent shaves. Another popular item. Higher priced though, because they started doing their maths too. And frankly I think originally they were targeting a different demographic. It just caught on with crazy wet shavers like us.

The GC2 is successful because of the two other ones and because of the Karve like modularity. All their razors are not going for looks (although that’s in part in the eye of the beholder) which keeps prices in sync I guess.

The GC2 is one of the heavier razors I have, but the II baseplate shaves wonderfully. I have no idea if it’s better than a Lupo or Game Changer, but I have seen fellow brothers sell all their RR configurations because this GC2 provides them a better shave. And I must say with the right blade it gives my Ti95 serious competition…from a results perspective. Overall my Ti95 reigns supreme in my den.

Cheers,

Guido
I agree with all of your well thought out post. I would add, my Blutt BR-1 and the Green Cult 2.0 both share that industrial look. They are not bright and shiny until you shave with them... then they both brighten your day. Blutt did release a small run of polished BR-1s that sold out quickly. It does turn out, humans are still attracted to bright and shiny objects.

I did order some buffing bits for my Dremel. I will follow your example and buff up both of them with the Dremel instead of relying solely on hand polishing. That should prove interesting.

I still think the Green Cult 2.0 is flying under the radar but almost every day, someone here gets one and falls in love with it.. all the way from Level 1 to Level 4 depending on their face and whiskers.

On a side note, I did switch out the handle on both the Blutt and Green Cult for the Timeless Ti Crown handle. That shaves an ounce off the razor and tilts the balance toward the head. I noticed a better feel for me, but as they say: YMMV.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Good morning
Well, I received the razor a few days a go and have managed to get in a few shaves. I started with a Nacet that had 3 shaves on it already. Now the razor has been re-designed since I owned the 1.0. Different cap and handle besides the base plates. The original handle was longer and skinnier and not that great for me. This handle is just fine. The original weighed in at 122 gm, the 2.0 according to my kitchen scale is 125gm. The gap and exposure was .95 and .25 respectively. I ordered the III plate and it's .85 and .15 in comparison. The original had a fair amount of blade feel to me and was definitely aggressive. I liked it when I first got it and tended to be a bit cautious for the first few shaves. I got used to it and it was fine. However the balance and long handle didn't work for me and eventually I sold it.
Then I read about the 2.0 from a few members and how they really enjoyed the razor. I looked and liked the new design, shorter and thicker handle and decided to pull the trigger.
It arrived fairly quickly and I noticed their packaging actually went backwards a bit in that it used a plastic razor holder/insert in the box. The quality of the razor is top-notch and everything fit beautifully. I like the satin finish and doubt I'll do any polishing unless I'm completely bored one day. Blade clamping is excellent, no chatter etc.
Now onto the performance. As I said I used a Nacet with a few shaves on it to begin with. First pass WTG and I noticed there's still a good amount of blade feel...less than the 1.0 but still noticeable. Ok then, I proceeded and noticed the shave was, so far, very comfortable with some audio as well.
As I got into the ATG pass after re-lathering, I was impressed with the efficiency this razor was giving me. I think the GC has a better ATG pass than the OverLander...high praise indeed. Shaving around the chin was without any drama at all. And the resulting shave was truly BBS and lasted well past 12 hours as far as needing another shave was concerned. I'd shaved at 7 pm and at 7 am I did not need to shave for work. Very impressive.
So if there's anyone still wondering whether or not to buy this razor...DO IT! An excellent razor all around.
View attachment 1616254
Congratulations. Looks cool. Enjoy

Thanks Kim!
I did order some buffing bits for my Dremel. I will follow your example and buff up both of them with the Dremel instead of relying solely on hand polishing. That should prove interesting.
That’s something I look forward too! My dad has a Dremel so will be very interesting and interested to see your results. They will be amazing I am sure!

Guido

Welcome to the club! Enjoy your razor! Thanks for your review of the level III plate. I got mine with level II and it seems to be sufficient Blade feel for now. I can get a GC1 next year - sounds daunting at present and yet too curious not to know.

Cheers,

Guido
The 1.0 is excellent. It shaves like a dream, but you must like them a bit untamed. I do. Carefree shaves are nice, but no challenge.

I can definitely see EU members finding an advantage for VAT reasons alone! Yes, >20% VAT really bites across the EU for everything of interest whether razors, flashlights, pocket knives, etc.

As you note, IF I lived in the EU, a Razorock razor would not be a consideration for me either! If I lived in or near Austria, I would be all over a Stubai axe and, if I saw something like this razor in a shop, I could see it being a much different option for me than it does as someone sitting at a keyboard in Texas at the moment with some British Tea!

Top Bottom