What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

A Gerba, an unusual German razor - I could not find any further information about this one
gerba1.jpg
gerba2.jpg
gerba3.jpg

Those who started collecting them 10-15 + years ago had it much easy
Yes, 100% true

but now the problem is that too many flippers have joined this hobby and what they do is buying those razors cheap from antique shops, flea markets, garage sales, estate sales etc. and then artificially increase the prices to the roof to make a nice profit and sadly, those people are becoming more and more each day.

Some of those flippers are actually the new version of antique shops. You see, Antique shops have limited clientele due to physical location maybe 50k-100k. Online antique shops have access to 8 billion people. By increasing the price they just play the game of probability. One will bite and get it at that price. In 8 billions the probability gets higher. Evidently there are not billion razor collectors. But you get the point.

On the flip side (pun intended), those flippers are digging up stuff that we've never seen or seen often. So, some stuff all of a sudden is less rare than we thought it was. Think of the Toggle or the double ring, there is almost not a single day that passes where you can't see one selling. Sometime there are 10 Toggles selling at the same time and 3-4 Double rings.

I have nothing against the flippers, because some of my friends are doing the same thing as well, but that doesn't mean that I like how things are and finding what I need without 10-20 or more people to bid on it isn't fun at all.

Same here, but some collectors are jumping on the bandwagon as well to lower the cost of their future or past acquisitions. I know one who bought a NOS razor for 120$ and is selling his with no box and not in a good shape, for much hgher than the NOS he bought a month ago.

Flippers are like leeches and they eventually find their way in every hobby.
Again, not just flipper, but collectors too. And I blame the collectors more in this case for taking advantage of the situation.
Flippers at the end, and I know some of them, are living off this hobby and dedicating the time to do it, Find the razor (they travel between cities and countries, at least in Europe), repair it and clean it. They have a real cost built into the razor. Collectors on the other hand, are just asking outrageous prices are adding no value. And believe me, I know a lot of them (like you have no idea).

To be fair, not all collectors are bad and not all flippers are good. I know of both. And I consider several of them as friends.

Yes, 100% true

Some of those flippers are actually the new version of antique shops. You see, Antique shops have limited clientele due to physical location maybe 50k-100k. Online antique shops have access to 8 billion people. By increasing the price they just play the game of probability. One will bite and get it at that price. In 8 billions the probability gets higher. Evidently there are not billion razor collectors. But you get the point.

On the flip side (pun intended), those flippers are digging up stuff that we've never seen or seen often. So, some stuff all of a sudden is less rare than we thought it was. Think of the Toggle or the double ring, there is almost not a single day that passes where you can't see one selling. Sometime there are 10 Toggles selling at the same time and 3-4 Double rings.

Same here, but some collectors are jumping on the bandwagon as well to lower the cost of their future or past acquisitions. I know one who bought a NOS razor for 120$ and is selling his with no box and not in a good shape, for much hgher than the NOS he bought a month ago.

Again, not just flipper, but collectors too. And I blame the collectors more in this case for taking advantage of the situation.
Flippers at the end, and I know some of them, are living off this hobby and dedicating the time to do it, Find the razor (they travel between cities and countries, at least in Europe), repair it and clean it. They have a real cost built into the razor. Collectors on the other hand, are just asking outrageous prices are adding no value. And believe me, I know a lot of them (like you have no idea).

To be fair, not all collectors are bad and not all flippers are good. I know of both. And I consider several of them as friends.

I absolutely agree, things are not only black and white and even though my comment might sound hateful and bitter towards those folks, I don't think anyone cares about my opinion on this subject. The rule have always been - you either buy something or you don't and that's the way it is.

I just wish I've started much earlier, because I know a lot of people with huge collections of very uncommon and rare vintage razors ranging from great to mint or NOS condition with their boxes, instructions, original blades etc. and I'm not sure whatever that's true or not, but according to them, they have rarely spend more than $100 for anything they own and they own tons of stuff. And even they agree that it would be nearly impossible to start collecting vintage razors these days and find such great razors for next to nothing.

I absolutely agree, things are not only black and white and even though my comment might sound hateful and bitter towards those folks, I don't think anyone cares about my opinion on this subject. The rule have always been - you either buy something or you don't and that's the way it is.

I just wish I've started much earlier, because I know a lot of people with huge collections of very uncommon and rare vintage razors ranging from great to mint or NOS condition with their boxes, instructions, original blades etc. and I'm not sure whatever that's true or not, but according to them, they have rarely spend more than $100 for anything they own and they own tons of stuff. And even they agree that it would be nearly impossible to start collecting vintage razors these days and find such great razors for next to nothing.

I am going to tell you something about razor collecting. There are still deals to be made. I too wish I have started earlier. But not because razors were cheaper. But because I would have a bigger collection.

My average (Yes, my purchases are in an excel sheet) is 55$. Only 31 are over a 100$. Some rare razors in early 2000 were more expensive than razors now. It is due partly to these flippers, they unearthed so many of them that the price dropped.

I would give you the names of these razor, but it would probably mean nothing to people here in the forum, since they're heavily DE oriented.

One big collector in France told me he had a friend that at the time had 80 insanely rare razors and now he has only 10 rare. People unearthed more razors and those he though were rare became much more common.

If you're collecting, then you're collecting for the long term, you will come across score you won't believe you can come across.

Stay sharp and don't obsess over things, you'll end up paying much more because you're impatient (I should give that advice to myself too).

PS: Do as I say but don't do as I do.🤣

G

Guest2023

One big collector in France told me he had a friend that at the time had 80 insanely rare razors and now he has only 10 rare. People unearthed more razors and those he though were rare became much more common.
I think this is true. Wilkinson Sticky was thought to be rare 10 years ago and sold more than $150 but it is quite common. and the same goes for Barbasol Floating head, Eclipse Red Ring, Leresche 77 and Kirby Beard,etc.

I think this is true. Wilkinson Sticky was thought to be rare 10 years ago and sold more than $150 but it is quite common. and the same goes for Barbasol Floating head, Eclipse Red Ring, Leresche 77 and Kirby Beard,etc.

True, I've seen a lot of caseless Barbasol FT's and Eclipse Red Rings in decent condition going for around or less than $100. I regret not getting a Barbasol FT when I had the chance, but at that moment I was only collecting Gillette razors and I didn't really care for anything else.

All of those razors are uncommon at best, but not rare. The definition of what a rare razor is for most people is not even remotely true. For instance, some folks still believe that razors like the Gillette TTO Aristocrats both US and British, Ranger Tech, F4-D1 Toggle, President, Single Ring, Fatboy and countless other razors are ''rare'' and that is one of the reason why they get more attention and the prices go up. While some of these rares are indeed more special than others and for one or another reason are more desirable and more expensive, not a single one of them is rare and that goes even if they are with cases.

Here's one more Italian razor, not particularly beefy but also not that slight. It's aluminum and pretty rare it seems. It's either called an Alma Cesia or perhaps just Cesia. You can find advertisements where it appears to be called Alma Cesia but it's not clear to me whether the Alma part possibly just refers to an Alma blade.

View attachment 1611459View attachment 1611460View attachment 1611461View attachment 1611462View attachment 1611463
At first glance I thought it was a Mirabilia : Pin on RAZORS RESTORATIONS - https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/613122936753612970/

Some old Mirabilia adverts show a hex handle but different head. Maybe it was sold under different brands ? As it seems to be the case for the Benz / Metropolis, and Metropolis / Cava...

@Cha-wing!! has tried them both and his verdict is clear and accurate : to him, the #9 is far superior to the #15/17 in terms of shaving results, quality built, etc...

But of course, opinions are subjective and can vary easily from individual to another.

I continue to stand by that affirmation :) But of course, YMMV, and this should always be the case. A very simple and clear example of different positions (pun intended) is that, considering the very big number of people I see using the 15/17 and liking it (these razors are not rare in France, although very sought after, so many french users have one), I can be near-objectively sure it is a good razor, although it is really not for me. Same thing goes with the Le Coq Licence Palmer : many love it, I hate it.

One thought, if I continue hating what most people find good, I might not be of good advice :D

I continue to stand by that affirmation :) But of course, YMMV, and this should always be the case. A very simple and clear example of different positions (pun intended) is that, considering the very big number of people I see using the 15/17 and liking it (these razors are not rare in France, although very sought after, so many french users have one), I can be near-objectively sure it is a good razor, although it is really not for me. Same thing goes with the Le Coq Licence Palmer : many love it, I hate it.

One thought, if I continue hating what most people find good, I might not be of good advice :D
Did you use a Gibbs blade or a modified modern one?
For the adjustable le coq, did you use the Zamak or the brass one (They have different heads)?

I used a modified modern one, I always use the same brand now that I have found my favorite (Triton R3).

Regarding the Le Coq, good question, the head of the zamak version is indeed bulkier. I honestly don't remember now (I have both), it was a few years ago.

At first glance I thought it was a Mirabilia : Pin on RAZORS RESTORATIONS - https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/613122936753612970/

Some old Mirabilia adverts show a hex handle but different head. Maybe it was sold under different brands ? As it seems to be the case for the Benz / Metropolis, and Metropolis / Cava...
Thanks for that, Thomas. Here are the two advertisements. There's some obvious similarities as you point out. Maybe the Alma Cesia is in fact another model made by Mirabilia!

download.jpegdc197b3ad4682655eefc29583d69da4f.jpeg

Top Bottom