What's new

Anyone else in this boat?

So: I’ve been shaving with straight razors ever since I got the hang of it. I have about 8 or 9 that I’ve honed- some new, some restored and reset.

Im past the stage where I shaved faster with a safety razor and now it makes no difference time-wise. As a result, my safety razors are basically neglected and taking up space, lol.

I’ve got around 300 blades from a purchase back in 2011 from prior acquisition disorder / experimenting with blades. Found what I liked and boom. Now I’m down with the dark side and I’ve got 4 safety razors and 300+ blades not being used.

Thinking of trading them or pif’ing them- I wouldn’t want soap or aftershave- trading for a stone or straight doesn’t seem fair, lol- so whaddaya do? They don’t need to be in my bathroom drawer or counter- I can get rid of my brush and razor stand for a brush stand-

Anyone else go from safetys to straights and not touch them again?

Thought about gifting one to my dad-

I don’t want to toss them to someone that’ll just sell them online, lol- Not trying to toss stuff to hoarders either 🤣🤣🤣

Any ideas?

Legion

Staff member
Better than having four blades and 300 razors...

Charity is always nice. If they are basic razors maybe a pif. If they are a bit more valuable maybe hang on to them to donate at the next Sue Auction?

Maybe you have someone you know that might be interested in getting in to wet shaving. You could be the gateway to a lifetime of empty pockets.

Better than having four blades and 300 razors...

Charity is always nice. If they are basic razors maybe a pif. If they are a bit more valuable maybe hang on to them to donate at the next Sue Auction?

Maybe you have someone you know that might be interested in getting in to wet shaving. You could be the gateway to a lifetime of empty pockets.
Yeah, a SuperSpeed, 34c, gem jr, and a DL89. Pretty basic. I didn’t go crazy until I got into straights 😂

Legion

Staff member
Yeah, a SuperSpeed, 34c, gem jr, and a DL89. Pretty basic. I didn’t go crazy until I got into straights 😂
They all sound like good beginner razors. I'd look around at your work, church, social circle or whatever for someone who might be interested in trying ye olde school shaving.

Maybe you have a local charity that donates hygiene items to people in need? Though most of them are going to balk at second hand stuff, I guess.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So: I’ve been shaving with straight razors ever since I got the hang of it. I have about 8 or 9 that I’ve honed- some new, some restored and reset.

Im past the stage where I shaved faster with a safety razor and now it makes no difference time-wise. As a result, my safety razors are basically neglected and taking up space, lol.

I’ve got around 300 blades from a purchase back in 2011 from prior acquisition disorder / experimenting with blades. Found what I liked and boom. Now I’m down with the dark side and I’ve got 4 safety razors and 300+ blades not being used.

Thinking of trading them or pif’ing them- I wouldn’t want soap or aftershave- trading for a stone or straight doesn’t seem fair, lol- so whaddaya do? They don’t need to be in my bathroom drawer or counter- I can get rid of my brush and razor stand for a brush stand-

I don’t want to toss them to someone that’ll just sell them online, lol- Not trying to toss stuff to hoarders either 🤣🤣🤣

Any ideas?
I honestly don't understand the conundrum.
You have a very limited list of options available to you.
1. Keep them in case you decide to use them later. They don't take THAT much space.
2. Throw them in the trash. That seems wasteful.
3. PIF them, either here to a noob, or to someone you know.
4. Sell them. Either here by starting a BST thread, or on eBay.
Numbers 1, 2, and 3 are entirely up to you and are a personal decision that no one can help you with.
Number 4 is a simple "do it, or don't", but talking about it, either in this thread or by PM for either party, isn't something you want to do here, as it's in violation of the Terms of Use.

Any ideas?
I am in the same boat. This is just my proline blades. I need a bigger boat for my de blades:)

20211119_172401.jpg

I'm in that boat. I was able to sell all my shavettes and blades. But I have a few nice Fat Boys and lots of blades that are just sitting. But I suspect I may use them one day. I do think about putting them up on BST.

Put two razors and 150 blades up for sale or PIF, keep the others "just in case."
I've still got two DE razors and ~100 blades that I like and use on occasion - need a real quick shave, traveling and don't want to mess with straights, "just for fun." Got rid of all the rest. But I know the instant I sell them I'd regret it, and given that one of them is a Blacklands Brassbird I know it'd be impossible to get back.

I was the same. I have given away a couple of Techs to people who wanted to try DE shaving along with a few blades. I also gave away blades to a few people I know use DE razors.

I still have a few DE razors and 150 or so blades. Last year I used two blades. I'll probably give away another hundred or so blades and leave the rest for the rare occasion I use a DE.

It's a good start to a collection.
Another couple of option to consider is learning to use them all. Be able to rotate from one type of razor to another with confidence by getting great shaves with any style. This is part of what I've learned. After a while, you can shave with one style easily but learning to use any style takes even more time.

Another reason to keep one or two is for medical reasons. Some time in your life you may damage a hand or shoulder or... Having that safety razor to fall back on and still have a decent shave will make you much happier than trying to use a straight one-handed.

I personally have over 300 razors. Every type you can imagine. And I can use any of them and get a great shave. I also went through shoulder surgery a year ago and was happy I could do this.

So think hard about getting rid of all but Straights!

I wish I was in that boat with Proline blades..( never tried them)..... I have heard they are supposed to be good.. Good luck with whatever you guys do.....
Proline blades are good. However, they won't come close to a straight razor in cutting performance.

I hear ya. I’ve come to the realisation that if it’s not a straight razor shave, I’d rather not shave.

This week I packed my remaining Timeless 0.68 OC and Blackland Vector into their boxes and it them into the garage for long term storage. They’re not really worth selling so I’ll hang onto them. I might save them for when the little fella is a bit older.

I have a couple of vintage Gilletes that I keep on display at my country satellite den. They go with the made in England theme and look cool on the shelf with the Bengalls.

I keep a Henson mild on active duty in the shower for special assignments where safety is paramount.

Fortunately, I don't have a heap of DEs in the den. I have two that I shave with (one shave a week is a DE shave), and still really enjoy. I do have a stock of blades, though, that I won't get through in this lifetime. I'm hanging on to them for the time being because I may get doddery in my old age and have to revert to DE shaves full time. If not, they'll end up in some op-shop when my family have to deal with the inevitable. :p

I'm in the same boat, sitting with a bunch of DE/SE/AutoStrop razors that have been gathering dust, but luckily they don't take up much space. I normally try to shave once a week with something other than a SR, and I keep a DE/SE loaded to catch stray hairs I miss (lately it's a Post War Fat Handle Tech). Next week I have to be the boss, so I'll either do SR shaves the night before, or DE/SE shaves in the morning, so they won't go to waste, just not given as much love as in the past. Thankfully, I don't have a big stock of blades built up (they're mostly vintage anyway). My wife was looking for something of hers, couldn't find it and moved on to my dresser/side table and all I kept hearing was, "there's razors in this drawer too?" And now she knows why I asked her to make me a zippered case to store them in...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Any ideas?
Yes, I haven't shaved with anything but a straight razor for going on five years. Over time, I just gave the other stuff away.

This is my story, as well. Now I have 3 good straight razors and one on the way.

One thing that I noticed was that a lot of shaving soaps and creams that I thought were really good when using a DE safety razor, are no longer so good in my eyes when using a straight razor.

Top Bottom