What's new

Spyderco Straight Razor

I have owned many Spyderco knives over the years and have always been impressed by the quality. I wonder if they are going to build it, or if they will private label someone's razor? Or perhaps a collaboration, which they often do.
Collaboration

download.jpeg

images.jpeg

images (1).jpeg

They look agreive

None of those are the Spyderco razor, of course.

You know it will be quality. I'm super excited about this. I was involved in this and still am. However, I can't say how or I'll get kicked out of this forum (been warned twice!). I understand why, though. Trust me, this will be a very good useable razor.

I hope they start off with a simple design that has a bit of their touch. Hopefully nothing crazy price wise - could see them pulling a lot of people into the hobby.

Whoa. Really wonder what steel they chose. I can't even guess how many different steels they've made knives out of.

Edit: It didn't have a hole in the blade, did it?
Knives seem to have way more different steels than SRs. I wonder why there arent more different types of steels used for straight razors. I am curious how steels like 1095, vg-10, or supersteels like CPM steels would do in a straight razor.

Knives seem to have way more different steels than SRs. I wonder why there arent more different types of steels used for straight razors. I am curious how steels like 1095, vg-10, or supersteels like CPM steels would do in a straight razor.

I don't know about new production razor steels, but I dare say many of the American razors from the early 1900s used 1095, or something akin to it.

Razor sabre France uses HIGH-CARBON BEARING STEEL 100CR6 in some of their razors.
I have two razors with this steel. I prefere this over the typical so called silver steel from e.g. Dovo.
I would never buy a straight razor in VG10, M390, etc.

Razor sabre France uses HIGH-CARBON BEARING STEEL 100CR6 in some of their razors.
I have two razors with this steel. I prefere this over the typical so called silver steel from e.g. Dovo.
I would never buy a straight razor in VG10, M390, etc.
I am not a steel expert, but from my vague memory, I think I remember knife people saying they liked vg10 because it was easy to sharpen but was also semi stainless. I would think those characteristics would be good for razors too, but I am probably unaware of some other reason it may not be a good choice.

I think the ability to take high hardness and the steel's toughness are important in a straight razor steel. Straight razors are run 61 to 65 HRC. (Chinese Gold Dollar, etc. are softer). Facial hair and leg hair is like copper wire of the same thickness and so it is hard on edges.

Top Bottom