What's new

RIP Wayne Shorter

89 years old... I think I probably first became aware of him via the Miles Davis years but I really came to love his work with Weather Report. Still one of my favorite sax players and by all accounts a really great guy.

I had Heavy Weather and listened to it a lot. I was a big fan of their sound, particularly Jaco Pastorius' bass work. Wayne was a serious musician who had a lot of influence on jazz and other forms of music. May he R.I.P.

I had Heavy Weather and listened to it a lot. I was a big fan of their sound, particularly Jaco Pastorius' bass work. Wayne was a serious musician who had a lot of influence on jazz and other forms of music. May he R.I.P.
Ditto.

As a metal guy, Heavy Weather changed the way I looked at music.

As a bass player, Jaco just blew my mind, but Wayne and also Joe were just killers.

A big loss, but I had no idea he was 89! He had a long life in any case.

Ditto.

As a metal guy, Heavy Weather changed the way I looked at music.

As a bass player, Jaco just blew my mind, but Wayne and also Joe were just killers.

A big loss, but I had no idea he was 89! He had a long life in any case.
It's amazing how many of the giants of music when I was young(er) are dropping like flies. I realize it's part of life but, man, it's hard to see day after day.
Jaco blew my mind too and when he joined Joni Mitchell on her Hejira and Don Juan's Reckless Daughter albums I briefly considered buying a fretless bass but realized I had 1/1,000th the talent he did.:crazy::lol1:
I played keyboards back then and eventually wandered into guitar territory, which is one of the loves of my life, along with a few other hobbies.

A friend and I really bonded over our mutual adoration of Shorter's music. Night Dreamer was the first jazz album I bought, and his passing is a sad one. If Sonny Rollins is the saxophone Colossus, then Shorter is its titan.

Top Bottom