What's new

CCW - only 2 guns….

Let’s start with a little background, then I’ll cover my initial plan, the problem, then where I need your help. Apologies for the length/detail - but I know how these threads often go, with folks randomly chiming in with their favorite carry gun, or providing options that don’t meet the OP’s requirements, often due to the OP lacking detail in their initial post.

Background:
My county (and state) have the most aggressive restrictions on guns and CCW permits. No mags over 10 rounds, no single action guns (all 1911 style guns included), no red dot sights, no lasers, etc. it’s annoying, but it is better than nothing, so I’m just grateful to be able to carry. The dilemma I have however is in one particularly tricky limitation for a gear junkie like me, which is that I can only have TWO guns listed on my CCW license. I can change the guns every two years when I re-qualify, or I can pay a fee, do a lot of paperwork make several 1 hour trips in both directions and wait a few months and swap a gun on the permit after re-qualifying, which is a big hassle. As a result, significant thought is required in finding the optimal 2 gun solution.

Original plan:
My plan was to use a Glock 43 as my primary and a Kahr P380 as a secondary. Here’s my thought process - I chose the Glock 43since it‘s a great size, plenty of punch, with magguts +2 kit’s the mags carry 8 rounds, and it’s considerably shorter than a G43X - and despite its tiny size, I can rapid-fire and empty the mag into baseball sized groups at 12 yards - which i’m quite proud of. I’ve got a drawer full of all of the top holster options on the market - and with the Philster Enigma setup I have for it, I can carry it without a belt, and in sweats/gym shorts in total comfort/concealment. I know there are other neat options like the Sig P365, but with 20 years of scratching my booger hook on Glock triggers, the rapid fire accuracy I’ve honed in with glocks over those two decades, the thousands of rounds I’ve put through this G43 and the investment I’ve made in holsters, mags, etc I have zero interest in entertaining other options. The Kahr P380 was picked to have a”carry gun, when I’m not carrying a gun” so to speak since at under 10 ounces it absolutely disappears in a pocket, ankle or IWB and can be carried anywhere legal without printing, unless I’m in a Speedo. If I felt like it (although would likely never do it) - it would be an excellent “backup” to the primary, or could be a good ankle gun on a road trip (quick draw while seated) - as for a day long drive - I’d be carrying the G43 on the hip or small of back for comfort, vs AIWB. With Magguts +1, the flush mags carry 7 rounds of .380 - and with 1 in the tube, 8 rounds of top grade hollow points, with a quick reload at the ready is more than enough for my comfort level as a trained civilian defending myself in public - so let’s not go down the lack of power rathole, there are dozens of videos online showing .380 acp rounds meeting the FBI standard, and I have confidence in my shot placement under pressure, which I believe to be most important. That said, I wouldn’t want to carry anything less than hot .380 acp rounds.

The Problem:
This is my third Kahr. I know there are legions of vocal Kahr fanboys, and people who swear they put gobs of trouble free rounds through them - I am not one of them. I previously had a Kahr P9 and PM9, and had reliability issues with both. Yes I kept them clean, yes I ran them wet as they’re designed, and yes they went back to Kahr. I sold the PM9 when the G42 came out and bought a G42, then sold the P9 when the G43 came out, both at significant losses as few folks around here want to buy Kahr’s. Having heard so much on forums about Kahr QC getting better, and hearing so many people rave about their Kahn’s, and being absolutely entranced by the ridiculous size and weight of the P380,I took a gamble and bought one. Long story short - it had a critical failure and has been at the Kahr factory for over a month as I tap out this post. I hear that if you have a problem gun, it often requires TWO trips back to the factory, before they “run flawlessly”. Well, that‘s not confidence inspiring, and the several hundred dollars in ammo I’ve spent breaking it in while fighting confidence sapping issues, is also souring me of the gun. My qualification date was last week, and without the Kahr P380 in hand, I shot my qualification with the G43 as planned, and then the G42 as my second gun. While I love the G42, it has the same manual of arms as the G43, it’s been 100% reliable and it‘s one of my “hold onto forever“ pistols - I don’t see a compelling value to it being the second gun on the permit, as it doesn’t offer much of a size advantage over the G43. Sure, it’s lighter and smaller and there most certainly is a difference, but for me, it’s too big to comfortable pocket or ankle carry. It can be done, but I just won’t and while I have magguts +1’s on the mags, they don’t make a flush +2, so with the G43, the bigger 9mm punch the extra round and the fact that I shoot the G43 much better (grip is too small on the 42), I feel this gun is a waste of my second slot.

Now here’s where I’d love your .02:
The Kahr will eventually come back from the factory - but it may/may not be fixed. It has a full lifetime warranty, and I would guess that with enough trips back and forth to the factory, at some point the gun (or a gun they replace it with) will be reliable enough to carry. That said, it irks me to no end that the company can’t seem to build a decent/reliable product - and according to my LGS, I am a huge exception in how much I actually shoot my carry guns, and they feel with the 1-2k rounds I year I put through my carry guns (minimum) I’ll have issues with the Kahr from time to time. Despite what I read from Kahr fans online… unless this one trip back to Kahr solves the issue and it becomes dead nuts reliable after this, I’m not sure I’ll ever fully trust a Kahr again, so I’ve already begun looking at and acquiring replacement options.

While we can get essentially any pistol in California that isn’t on the bs roster, it usually has to be done via police officers looking to make an extra buck, or folks moving into the state who also want to make $, so while you can get a new (but previously registered) Sig P365, Ruger LCP Max, etc - they’re usually $1,200+. I’m not opposed to doing this, despite it irking me, but generally would rather buy a $1k+ gun on the roster that’s worth $1k+, versus a $500 gun for $1,200. So I did just that… twice.

So here’s where I’m at. The G43 is the primary, but as a secondary I now have four options:

1. Make the Kahr P380 work, regardless of the hassle. Ultimately (on paper at least) based on it’s double action trigger (safer in the pocket than a Glock/LCP trigger), capacity, accuracy and absurdly small size - it’s the best second gun for my needs… but it’s moot if it’s unreliable. I do feel like eventually I could get it there, but I foresee a long hassle on that road….

2. Leave the Glock 42 on the permit, and likely not use it much.

3. Put my soon to have (won’t have it in hand for 40 days though, as you can only buy one handgun every 30 days in California, and there is a 10 day waiting period after that) ultra rare and near impossible to find Kimber K6S Deep Cover on the permit. It’s 23oz, so it’s definitely not a pocket/ankle gun, but it’s the size of a J-frame, the action and trigger are shockingly good, it has exceptional night sights on it, and despite being j frame size, it packs an extra round and carries 6 rounds in the wheel. Aside from a Korth, it’s the finest made revolver I’ve ever held, and I’ve watched videos of folks hitting gongs with this little 2” at 100 yards, which I have no doubt I will be able to replicate with some practice/training. This does not fit the same role as I had initially intended for a second gun on the permit, and while reloads are likely not feasible in a self defense situation, especially with a revolver, 6 rounds of .357 magnum is a prodigious amount of stopping power. I’ve also seen the hard data - .357 magnum out of a 2” still has significantly more power/energy than a 9mm, and you can put some black bear stopping rounds in that K6S and have an outstanding backwoods gun. In city limits, a stout .38 +P, or a mid-power .357 mag, with 6 rounds at the ready and next to zero chance of the gun not firing would give me complete confidence in any hostile situation inside of 15 yards with less than 3 “bad guys.” If you haven’t held one, I also can‘t gush enough about how amazing they look/feel and the level of quality they exude. It’s a gun I will anxiously look forward to shooting every time I hit the range, and should be quite pleasant to shoot, especially in .38 special. For me, carrying this gun would be akin to wearing an ultra premium mechanical watch - there are smart/digital watches that are more practical, just like there are more practical CCW guns (striker fired polymer guns), but they lack the soul, quality and ultra premium feel of the old school, ultra-quality mechanical options. It’s like electric or cartridge shaving vs a straight razor. Just like a fine mechanical watch, I have no doubts it will accomplish the same task as it’s more modern bottom feeders, but it does so with only 2/3 the ammo of the G43, and slower reloads. It likely is more comfortable to carry and will likely print less, but the G43 is a comfortable gun, and I fear after the initial excitement wears off, I might not carry it much. After all, the numbers are hard to ignore - 50% more ammo, 5oz less weight, and instant reloads for the G43 vs the K6S.

4. Put my soon to have (9 days) Smith & Wesson 340PD .357 mag on the permit to replace the G42. I went into my LGS fully intending on getting the K6S, but I’m a big S&W wheel gun fan (I have 6) and I figured I should at least wrap my hand around the top of the line 340PD wonder gun and see what S&W’s top of the line carry wheel gun brought to the party. J frames generally don’t interest me all that much, and I’m pretty snobby about my wheel guns, so unless they have a little “flavor“ they don’t make the cut for me. That, and the Kimber is so darn good looking, well made and oh mamma that trigger - I figured I’d hold the 340PD for 5 seconds and have them put it back in the case. That didn’t happen. S&W wheel guns can be hit or miss now a days, you generally have the best shot of getting a gem though in the performance center line, or with their high end Scandium guns like this 340PD, but even then, they can be spotty, and given stock of these guns - especially the Scandium guns is just about zero everywhere, you often don’t get the luxury of looking at many and picking a gem. Well, this particular 340PD was a unicorn. While there were a few tooling scratches on the outside tip of the barrel, aside from that - it was the finest J-frame I’d ever handled, and by a country mile. Bank vault lock up on all 5 cylinders - as good as the Kimber and as good as the $4.5k Korth they had in the case next to it. Zero stacking with the trigger, and I mean ZERO - it felt as if it had a world class trigger job done to it. I was mesmerized, and I spent three hours and the gun shop, handling three different K6S’ (the deep cover, the deluxe carry and the standard stainless) next to this 340PD. I really was there for the Kimber, and after handling a K6S and falling in love over a month prior - I knew I had to own one, I hadn’t felt that level of lust/excitement for a gun in a decade and a half. But back to this 340PD - the sirens call just wouldn’t stop. While the Kimber K6S deep cover is almost impossible to find, a perfectly made current production S&W revolver might be even rarer. This 340PD is one neat tool. at only 11 oz it’s barely heavier than the Kahr, it’s absolutely more reliable, and certainly could fill the void as a backup gun on the ankle, or as a ’head to the store in sweat pocket gun’ with ease. .357 mag in an 11oz gun will have considerable recoil - but as a .500 and .460 mag owner and regular shooter, I feel like I could manage it without a material impact to follow up speed performance if I were in the back country and needed the extra oomph, but would likely carry it in .38 special +p most of the time. The high viz fiber optic sight is superb, and this definitely feels like a precision instrument - akin to fine mechanical watch. Now here‘s the but… 5 rounds in the wheel. Many life/death situations involve 2 “bad guys” and with adrenaline pumping, accuracy isn’t going to be pinpoint. Sure, a 5 shot revolver is better than nothing, and the reliability is likely to be flawless with how well this particular example is made/timed - but 5 rounds is 5 rounds. That extra 6th round in the K6S, in a weight i’d carry with .357 magnum, is a material difference. That said - I’d use the two guns for different purposes.

The logic in my head is saying make the Kahr work. It‘s the smallest, lightest and with 7+1 capacity and quick reloads - the better mouse trap to deal with multiple bad guys. The 340 PD will no doubt be more reliable, powerful, fire with contact on the barrel, from a pocket, faster to draw, etc and I like that with 180 grain .357 mag rounds with the right bullet, it‘s a viable (albeit unpleasant) backwoods gun - but the superior ammo capacity and faster reloads of the Kahr, as well as the much smaller footprint, can’t be ignored. The K6S somewhat splits the difference between the two, but it’s 2X heavier, and would serve an entirely different purpose… likely one I don’t need.

So with only 2 guns that could be put on a permit, and one locked in (Glock 43) - what would YOU do. Seems like the best option would be between the Kahr or the 340PD, as either could serve a need unmet by the G43/42 - where as the K6S, not as much. That K6S sure makes my knees wobble though….

To start with I clicked on this thread to see what Counter Clock-Wise had to do with shaving. Well... Guess I was wrong.
Sorry, I can't help you with your firearm issues.

You're going to hate me. Sell the Khar and get another 43 and carry them(the 43s). The revos are nice, and I understand the attraction. But. Unless you've spent a ton of time with them, and put lots of ammo through them, they will be much harder to use and reload on the fly.

One gun, one qualification, you can carry a fistful of extra mags for the weight of the 340PD or K6S. Of my several friends who have been in various firearm engagements, none of them has expressed the desire to carry a 5 or 6 shot revo in place of any auto.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Never have had a problem with my Kahr PM9 and carry it often. So, I lean towards the Kahr. Full disclosure, I have several hundred rounds through the Kahr, but probably less than 1K.

You're going to hate me. Sell the Khar and get another 43 and carry them(the 43s). The revos are nice, and I understand the attraction. But. Unless you've spent a ton of time with them, and put lots of ammo through them, they will be much harder to use and reload on the fly.

One gun, one qualification, you can carry a fistful of extra mags for the weight of the 340PD or K6S. Of my several friends who have been in various firearm engagements, none of them has expressed the desire to carry a 5 or 6 shot revo in place of any auto.

I don’t hate ya, but two G43’s solves nothing 1 wouldn’t.

Never have had a problem with my Kahr PM9 and carry it often. So, I lean towards the Kahr. Full disclosure, I have several hundred rounds through the Kahr, but probably less than 1K.

I won’t carry a gun unless I have 1k down the tube. The issues I’ve experienced with all three Kahr‘s have made themselves know after the guns had been thoroughly exercised. My LGS claims most people never put more than a few hundred rounds through them the entire life of the gun, so they don’t really know what they’re dealing with. I shoot 250 rounds through a gun each time I bring it out, so I probably put a lot more stress on the gun than others.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I don’t hate ya, but two G43’s solves nothing 1 wouldn’t.

I won’t carry a gun unless I have 1k down the tube. The issues I’ve experienced with all three Kahr‘s have made themselves know after the guns had been thoroughly exercised. My LGS claims most people never put more than a few hundred rounds through them the entire life of the gun, so they don’t really know what they’re dealing with. I shoot 250 rounds through a gun each time I bring it out, so I probably put a lot more stress on the gun than others.
Duly noted. My first SIG P365 ran flawlessly for the first 1500 rounds, then began to have all kinds of issues. It went back to SIG twice before it was replaced by SIG. My current P365 has about 750 rounds through it without issue. So, one can shoot a lot of rounds through a gun and still have Mr. Murphy show his ugly face when it is most inopportune.

Duly noted. My first SIG P365 ran flawlessly for the first 1500 rounds, then began to have all kinds of issues. It went back to SIG twice before it was replaced by SIG. My current P365 has about 750 rounds through it without issue. So, one can shoot a lot of rounds through a gun and still have Mr. Murphy show his ugly face when it is most inopportune.

Couldn‘t agree more. 1,000 is my bar to get a general idea of the frequency of failures (if any) and the types of failures it has, but that doesn’t mean after the 1k it’d golden. I too have had several guns with failures well north of 1k rounds, but that initial 1k insures I get comfortable with the operation of the gun, get to an accuracy level I’m confident with, and lay down a key foundation of muscle memory. I find sometimes within just 1-2 sessions at a shooting range, I just know it‘s not going to be the right tool for me, and that may be for pure qualitative factors, like I don’t like the recoil impulse, or the grip just doesn’t sit right after awhile, it doesn’t point as well as I thought it would, etc.

Example: I bought a M&P 9c instead of a Glock 26 when the M&P’s first came out years ago. It felt like a more comfortable Glock - or so I thought. I put over 1k rounds through it, and never liked the gun. It was reliable as a hammer, and I shot it well - but I absolutely hated how it felt when I shot it, and the trigger was a mushy nasty gremlin. I hated shooting it so I sold it, despite it being a fantastic gun, at least quantitatively. If I don’t really look forward to shooting a gun, I don’t want to own it… otherwise it’s a chore to practice with, and practice is more important than gun selection, caliber, etc.

That said - I don’t like shooting Glocks either, but I can tolerate it. I admire the simplicity, efficiency and reliability of them - but the loose tolerances that make them so reliable and simple makes them feel sloppy and boring to shoot. To me it feels like the quarterly test firing of your OC spray, or checking and replacing batteries in your fire alarms and speed safes - necessary and important - but boring. I like shooting Kahr pistols a lot more than Glocks… and they are far more accurate if you put time into learning that Kahr trigger, so truth be told I’m crushed this P380 is my third strike out with Kahr. I wanted the first two Kahr‘s to work, as it would be a blast to have a carry/home defense gun you actually wanted to regularly use and practice with. I’m jealous it sounds like you’ve got a well sorted PM9. I’d love one… I just won’t roll the dice a fourth time.

why not a 43x? it has been my constant companion for years now. somehow it hit my goldilocks box and I never even wanted it to. it is always there, and always reliable. 10+1, and a spare brings you to 21 rds in a very concealable, controllable package. I carry a 43 as a backup at work, but don't like it's capacity. plus, shield arms now makes 15 rd mags for the 43x... but I forgot your in commiefornia. so that is a no go.

I have carried the gammut of glocks, from a G22, to a G20, to a G29, a G33, my 43X, and my new G23 gen 5. I still carry the 23 in winter on occassion, but it's so godawful thick and heavy. the 43x really hits the mark for me here down south. I carry it AIWB with a spare mag in a tier one concealment holster, loaded with 124gr +P Underwoods.

why not a 43x? it has been my constant companion for years now. somehow it hit my goldilocks box and I never even wanted it to. it is always there, and always reliable. 10+1, and a spare brings you to 21 rds in a very concealable, controllable package. I carry a 43 as a backup at work, but don't like it's capacity. plus, shield arms now makes 15 rd mags for the 43x... but I forgot your in commiefornia. so that is a no go.

I have carried the gammut of glocks, from a G22, to a G20, to a G29, a G33, my 43X, and my new G23 gen 5. I still carry the 23 in winter on occassion, but it's so godawful thick and heavy. the 43x really hits the mark for me here down south. I carry it AIWB with a spare mag in a tier one concealment holster, loaded with 124gr +P Underwoods.

The G43X is a quarter inch longer, and three quarters of an inch taller (which matters most for carry comfort and printing), for a gain of only 2 rounds. If it weren’t for the magguts +2 for the 43, and the CA laws limiting mag size to 10, it might be a different discussion, but the 2 round gain for a much larger gun in the G43X doesn’t compute for me, when I can shoot the smaller non-x sufficiently. Even if we did have the ability to carry hi-capacity, I don’t think I’d carry that much, as for me, the less weight/size the better and while I’ll geek out on precision firearms, finely tuned revolvers, etc - as I said in the initial post - the G43 as the primary isn’t up for debate.

Below is my rapid fire target at 15 yards 9 rounds each to the left and right of the head and 17 rounds each in the chest and head each - which constitutes the magguts 8+1 mag dump, a tactical reload and an 8 round mag dump (hence the flyer or two - still working on my first shot transition). I can slow fire at 25 yards and land every round in the head of that small target. I put a lot of effort, time and money into mastering this gun, tactics, training and consistent practice. I try to take at least a half day training/course once per quarter and I have seen how effectively others shoot their small carry guns in advanced classes, and especially under stress or at speed. While I have zero desire to ever get into a gunfight - should it ever happen, based on how i’ve performed against others in these classes and at the range who have (allegedly) fancy military and law enforcement backgrounds, I have a high degree of confidence in my ability to outperform several simultaneous “average” would be assailants, but I’ve put in the time, and paid my dues for that level of confidence. If I have a problem I can’t solve with that accuracy and speed, with 17 rounds of 9mm (I’ll always carry a spare mag), then I’m at peace with my fate - I think I already invest far too much time, $, focus and consistency to something I almost certainly won’t use. After all, I’m pretty sure I’m not Jason Borne and there aren’t a pack of CIA assassins coming after me.

While I don’t think i’m Jerry M, or some hot shot - just like a black belt who masters karate - I’ve put in the consistent time over 15+ years and established a level of confidence in my level of proficiency and training, that my tried and true Glock 43 will never be a limitation for a legally defensible situation I’m faced with, that I can’t extract myself from with 17 rounds. I’m not a cop, it’s not my job to get into a gun battle with a perp, it‘s my job to avoid, evade and if needed defend, and an extra 4 rounds simply won’t change that equation for me, so I’ll take the comfort of the smaller 43, which WILL make a difference to me every day.

Now - 5 shots with an 11oz snub nose revolver? My confidence ballon just popped :biggrin:

I’ll put in the time to master it…. But 5 is still 5, and the Mall Ninja in me keeps thinking that‘s below the min acceptable level, despite the likelihood of me even needing to shoot a gun once in defense, being smaller than the likelihood my house burns down with me asleep in it.

Attachments

• 22738797-D222-4CB9-9E65-AD9202AD2187.jpeg
    22738797-D222-4CB9-9E65-AD9202AD2187.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • 7E6B870C-3B50-4BB1-AC1A-CD6986BA352B.jpeg
    7E6B870C-3B50-4BB1-AC1A-CD6986BA352B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
There's alot too unpack in this thread. The OP was a very detailed and articulate post. I can tell you not only know alot about the pistols you already have and want to carry, but also about other pistols you want. your OP was so long and detailed, I hope I can adequately respond, without quoting bits and pieces of your original post in order to keep my responses in a chronological order.

So ima jus' gunna fling my thoughts by ya; and let it fly. Hopefully something that you can use to help in your decisions, will come from my responses.

1st. I have some questions and comments. . good post sometimes, brings up as many questions as they do the opportunity to give answers or advice.

1. In California, this license you are getting, is it for just the two pistols you plan on carrying CCW? Or are you saying, you can only have two pistols in California and they have to be on the license? I'm confused about this part?

2. The Kimber 6KS and the S&W 340PD shows you have very good taste in revolvers. Beautiful pistols. I can see you really admire the Kimber 6KS. However, have you ever shot either? I have shot both. From the knowledge you have articulated, I'm sure you know, either by shooting them or researching them, they are both, brutal to shoot full power magnum loads? One would think, the Kimber 6KS would be much better then the S&W 340PD, but it wasn't. The Kimber is much lighter then other fuller sized, 6 round .357's.

I have a friend, who drooled over the Kimber 6KS as much or more as you have stated. I have shot his extensively, along with a few other of our acquaintances. I wasn't the only one of the group who cringed to shoot +P's or Magnums out of that Kimber. As much as he loved it, he ended up selling it a year later. And he is a shooter, who likes to shoot often.

3. I hear exactly what you are saying about the Kahr .380. You hear good and you hear bad. You have experienced reliabilty issues, while @nortac says his 9mm runs just fine. However, we need to understand and be aware that the differences between the 9mm Kahr's and the .380 caliber Kahr's are two different animals when it comes to reliability. I have never owned a Kahr in any caliber, I have shot a few different models and calibers in my time. I had some troubles shooting a .380 and no troubles shooting the 9mm I shot. If you scourge the list of firearms forums, yes, you will find 9mm and .380 Kahr's that owners say run like scalded cats. But if you actually counted, that when it comes to Kahr's that owners say were not reliable?

My money bets would be on you finding much more numbers of Kahr owners with .380's who have the same troubles you have experienced, versus those with 9mm's. I agree with @Rob72, forget the Kahr, but with the Caveat, that lets see what Kahr customer service Technicians send you back first, since they already have it.

4. @Rob72 suggested carrying two Glock 43's and you said, "but two G43’s solves nothing 1 wouldn’t." I get this response, but it's not quite accurate. The reason being, is @Rob72, was suggesting something many who carry overlook. Which is? "Tactics."

Two 43's sir, would solve something just one would not; and that would be a lightening fast reload? If you actually ever had to pull your G43 in self defense in California, it isn't hard to believe, that the perpetrator, could also be armed. This means, you have a good chance, of running out of the 6-8 rounds in your G43 and if I'm not mistaken, I thought you said you might carry two guns on you simultaneously? Why not another G43 which you could pull much faster then you could drop the empty magazine and stick another magazine in and recharge the locked back slide on the single G43? Tactics > Tools imo.

However, I also believe in the saying, "beware of the man with just one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

5. But if you are determined to obtain another, smaller .380 for carry? Along with your 9mm G43? my personal 2 cents would be this. While 'tactically', two loaded 6 round G43's and a couple of spare mags makes all the sense in the world to me as @Rob72 suggested, It doesn't make tactical sense, for a plain clothes civilian, to carry a 9mm and smaller .380 pistol, plus back up magazines for both? For a uniformed police officer it does? I spent quite a few years on patrol in my city, with a Glock 23 .40 S&W in my duty holster and two spare mags which were also on my duty belt, with a back up .32 Kel-Tec attached to my ballistic vest and an extra magazine in my left front pants pocket. But the settings of these different pistols and extra mags were pretty easy not to get confused in a fight because of their strategic locations of duty belt and pants pocket.

But plain clothes? For a civilian conceal carry? Maybe not so much? I'm glad to hear that you put alot of rounds down range every year from your various pistols you own, but how much tactical training do you get, transitioning, between a larger caliber pistol and then switching to a smaller caliber pistol and several different magazines to reload both from all while under stress? While it's great to know and understand the pistols we have completely. Unless you know, that you can manage this managerie of differing pistols and calibers you carry and plan to use fast? Accurate? Where your training completely takes over and you don't even have to think about it and you can smoothly and blindly, not just switch between the two firearms, but keep track of speed loading both of them under absolute duress?

6. Now think about making it even more confusing carrying a semi and a revolver? I don't think that was your plan, just saying. Many think long and hard about their carry pistols and gear. We all also, have to not just think about the tactics and why's and how's of going about doing it with what we carry, but actually doing it under as much stress in our training environments as much as possible. Because we can all give great advice, but that advice won't mean nothing, if you find while training on your tactics, all of our advice was absolutely wrong for you.

Don't be surprised after realizing what tactics work and what don't? What you think you wanted might just change also. :)

I can't honestly say what I think would work for you, but if I was going to carry two different pistols and different sized calibers and train until i'm confident with my tactics of using both? I would carry the G43 on the hip or AIWB and a Ruger LCP Max in .380 in my pocket. I would carry, two extra 6 round magazines for your G43 and the Maggutz if you know, they are reliable for you, but I wouldn't carry any magazines for the Ruger LCP Max. Why? Because that LCP Max carries 12 rounds in the mag and a 13th round in the chamber. No sense in weighing yourself down with a heavy 6 shot revolver for back up when you can carry 13 rounds in a lighter pocket pistol, or confuse your speed reload set-up with a bunch of different type mags. Not your re-load, but your 'speed' re-load. There is a difference which will be instantly realized the second you ever have to do it in real life.

My tactics in carrying and using them would be this. This might not work for you, but you are asking for my .02 so I am saying what it would be for me. If the G43 had to be pulled and used and ran empty? And there still wasn't a winner or a loser? I would not waste life saving time, reaching for a mag, when I have another pistol on my person which I could pull much faster then even a speed re-load? One must remember, The very definition of a 'self-defense' action, would tell us, we are 're-acting' to someone else's actions? And action is and will always be, faster then reaction. So we are already starting off behind the 8 ball. Every single, tactic, trick, hack and fast intelligent thought, that you can muster and employ against your adversary, in order to not just recover, from reacting to their action, but to also help you gain time, speed and momentum to put you ahead of the 8 ball; where as before, you started behind the 8 ball.

And these things all need to be considered, from whatever pair of pistols you end up choosing.

Last edited:
If you are comfortable with Glocks, carry Glocks.
Personally, once a gun needs to go back to manufacturer for misfires, I would not trust it.
I had two on my permit that had to go back. Springfield EMP and a Sig P938 SAS.
EMP went back twice. “Polished feed ramp, adjusted ejector”
They are accurate and fun to shoot.

HK guys laugh and say “yeah, that’s the standard line when they really don’t know”.

I carry a HK.

OkieStubble

If you are comfortable with Glocks, carry Glocks.
Personally, once a gun needs to go back to manufacturer for misfires, I would not trust it.
I had two on my permit that had to go back. Springfield EMP and a Sig P938 SAS.
EMP went back twice. “Polished feed ramp, adjusted ejector”
They are accurate and fun to shoot.

HK guys laugh and say “yeah, that’s the standard line when they really don’t know”.

I carry a HK.

I was gifted a brand new Springfield Compact Range Officer 1911 in .45 ACP as a retirement gift a couple of years ago. The Springfield name, has a long famous history of quality craftsmanship and reliability. That pistol misfed going in and stove piped going out. Sent it back to Springfield twice. I wasn't worried about carrying it; as I have many other carry pistols.

Springfield Customer Service took very good care of me. I now, have pretty close to somewhere around 1,000 care free rounds thru this same pistol of different type of 180 gr. +P and 230 gr. FMJ and HP ammunition without a single hiccup. It is probably also, the most accurate pistol I own. I carry it now, quite a bit and trust it completely. To each their own.

There's alot too unpack in this thread. The OP was a very detailed and articulate post. I can tell you not only know alot about the pistols you already have and want to carry, but also about other pistols you want. your OP was so long and detailed, I hope I can adequately respond, without quoting bits and pieces of your original post in order to keep my responses in a chronological order.

So ima jus' gunna fling my thoughts by ya; and let it fly. Hopefully something that you can use to help in your decisions, will come from my responses.

1st. I have some questions and comments. . good post sometimes, brings up as many questions as they do the opportunity to give answers or advice.

1. In California, this license you are getting, is it for just the two pistols you plan on carrying CCW? Or are you saying, you can only have two pistols in California and they have to be on the license? I'm confused about this part?

2. The Kimber 6KS and the S&W 340PD shows you have very good taste in revolvers. Beautiful pistols. I can see you really admire the Kimber 6KS. However, have you ever shot either? I have shot both. From the knowledge you have articulated, I'm sure you know, either by shooting them or researching them, they are both, brutal to shoot full power magnum loads? One would think, the Kimber 6KS would be much better then the S&W 340PD, but it wasn't. The Kimber is much lighter then other fuller sized, 6 round .357's.

I have a friend, who drooled over the Kimber 6KS as much or more as you have stated. I have shot his extensively, along with a few other of our acquaintances. I wasn't the only one of the group who cringed to shoot +P's or Magnums out of that Kimber. As much as he loved it, he ended up selling it a year later. And he is a shooter, who likes to shoot often.

3. I hear exactly what you are saying about the Kahr .380. You hear good and you hear bad. You have experienced reliabilty issues, while @nortac says his 9mm runs just fine. However, we need to understand and be aware that the differences between the 9mm Kahr's and the .380 caliber Kahr's are two different animals when it comes to reliability. I have never owned a Kahr in any caliber, I have shot a few different models and calibers in my time. I had some troubles shooting a .380 and no troubles shooting the 9mm I shot. If you scourge the list of firearms forums, yes, you will find 9mm and .380 Kahr's that owners say run like scalded cats. But if you actually counted, that when it comes to Kahr's that owners say were not reliable?

My money bets would be on you finding much more numbers of Kahr owners with .380's who have the same troubles you have experienced, versus those with 9mm's. I agree with @Rob72, forget the Kahr, but with the Caveat, that lets see what Kahr customer service Technicians send you back first, since they already have it.

4. @Rob72 suggested carrying two Glock 43's and you said, "but two G43’s solves nothing 1 wouldn’t." I get this response, but it's not quite accurate. The reason being, is @Rob72, was suggesting something many who carry overlook. Which is? "Tactics."

Two 43's sir, would solve something just one would not; and that would be a lightening fast reload? If you actually ever had to pull your G43 in self defense in California, it isn't hard to believe, that the perpetrator, could also be armed. This means, you have a good chance, of running out of the 6-8 rounds in your G43 and if I'm not mistaken, I thought you said you might carry two guns on you simultaneously? Why not another G43 which you could pull much faster then you could drop the empty magazine and stick another magazine in and recharge the locked back slide on the single G43? Tactics > Tools imo.

However, I also believe in the saying, "beware of the man with just one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

5. But if you are determined to obtain another, smaller .380 for carry? Along with your 9mm G43? my personal 2 cents would be this. While 'tactically', two loaded 6 round G43's and a couple of spare mags makes all the sense in the world to me as @Rob72 suggested, It doesn't make tactical sense, for a plain clothes civilian, to carry a 9mm and smaller .380 pistol, plus back up magazines for both? For a uniformed police officer it does? I spent quite a few years on patrol in my city, with a Glock 23 .40 S&W in my duty holster and two spare mags which were also on my duty belt, with a back up .32 Kel-Tec attached to my ballistic vest and an extra magazine in my left front pants pocket. But the settings of these different pistols and extra mags were pretty easy not to get confused in a fight because of their strategic locations of duty belt and pants pocket.

But plain clothes? For a civilian conceal carry? Maybe not so much? I'm glad to hear that you put alot of rounds down range every year from your various pistols you own, but how much tactical training do you get, transitioning, between a larger caliber pistol and then switching to a smaller caliber pistol and several different magazines to reload both from all while under stress? While it's great to know and understand the pistols we have completely. Unless you know, that you can manage this managerie of differing pistols and calibers you carry and plan to use fast? Accurate? Where your training completely takes over and you don't even have to think about it and you can smoothly and blindly, not just switch between the two firearms, but keep track of speed loading both of them under absolute duress?

6. Now think about making it even more confusing carrying a semi and a revolver? I don't think that was your plan, just saying. Many think long and hard about their carry pistols and gear. We all also, have to not just think about the tactics and why's and how's of going about doing it with what we carry, but actually doing it under as much stress in our training environments as much as possible. Because we can all give great advice, but that advice won't mean nothing, if you find while training on your tactics, all of our advice was absolutely wrong for you.

Don't be surprised after realizing what tactics work and what don't? What you think you wanted might just change also. :)

I can't honestly say what I think would work for you, but if I was going to carry two different pistols and different sized calibers and train until i'm confident with my tactics of using both? I would carry the G43 on the hip or AIWB and a Ruger LCP Max in .380 in my pocket. I would carry, two extra 6 round magazines for your G43 and the Maggutz if you know, they are reliable for you, but I wouldn't carry any magazines for the Ruger LCP Max. Why? Because that LCP Max carries 12 rounds in the mag and a 13th round in the chamber. No sense in weighing yourself down with a heavy 6 shot revolver for back up when you can carry 13 rounds in a lighter pocket pistol, or confuse your speed reload set-up with a bunch of different type mags. Not your re-load, but your 'speed' re-load. There is a difference which will be instantly realized the second you ever have to do it in real life.

My tactics in carrying and using them would be this. This might not work for you, but you are asking for my .02 so I am saying what it would be for me. If the G43 had to be pulled and used and ran empty? And there still wasn't a winner or a loser? I would not waste life saving time, reaching for a mag, when I have another pistol on my person which I could pull much faster then even a speed re-load? One must remember, The very definition of a 'self-defense' action, would tell us, we are 're-acting' to someone else's actions? And action is and will always be, faster then reaction. So we are already starting off behind the 8 ball. Every single, tactic, trick, hack and fast intelligent thought, that you can muster and employ against your adversary, in order to not just recover, from reacting to their action, but to also help you gain time, speed and momentum to put you ahead of the 8 ball; where as before, you started behind the 8 ball.

And these things all need to be considered, from whatever pair of pistols you end up choosing.
Awesome response!

1. Only two pistols that can be on my CCW permit at a time, thus at any given time - I can only have 2 different pistols I can CCW. You can own as many pistols as you want though, provided you buy no more than 1 new gun per month… this doesn’t apply to used pistols though. It’s quite silly and makes no sense - but it is what it is.

2. I have not shot them, and I know they have a reputation for stout recoil, but I am confident that will not be an issue for me. I am a reformed big bore revolver shooter - not just owner, shooter and recoil junkie. I have over 1k rounds each through most of my hand cannons like short barrel .500 magnum, 480 Ruger, .460 magnum, etc and put so many rounds of .44 mag through my Ruger super red hawk, I’m on my second barrel and several forcing cones. I like big bangs, they keep things interesting. Perhaps I’ll share my experience and create a thread on each to document initial thoughts, and round counts/updates and accuracy progress towards mastering them.

3. I had 2 bad Kahr 9mm’s, but yeah the .380’s seem to be problematic. It‘s disappointing considering it’s a premium polymer gun at nearly $800 for the Ca approved version. You can get some very fine powder burners I’m that price range.

4. I am probably going to carry more than one gun at a time exactly once, and only because I can and want the mall ninja points. I work from home, so I’m in sweats a lot and won’t be holstered up and carrying all day inside my house. If I make a quick trip to the grocery store to grab 1-2 items, and I’m only going to be gone 15-20 min in my sweatpants and lazy evening wear, or walking the dogs around the block, going to a casual dinner down the street - i’m not going to want to change my pants to jeans with a carry rig, or take off my sweats to strap up a Philster enigma system for my G43 or G42 so I can still wear the sweats. I live in a very safe area, and value of carrying a gun within a 15-20 minute radius of where I live is very low, so the hassle isn’t worth it. With a G42 and G43 on the permit, i’d take neither with me and go without a ccw. 30-60 minutes drive away though are 5 of the top 10 most dangerous cities in California, including #1, #3 and #5. If I’m in these areas, I’d be toting that G43, and it would absolutely be worth the effort to carry and maintain a steadfast focus on situational awareness. If I was going to be out and about all day, even locally, it‘a worth the effort…. But for quick trips, or just running out for quick errands or going to a drive thru for a quick meal to bring home, I wouldn’t likely carry at all. Now, if I had an ultra light pocket gun that lived in a pocket holster next to my keys that was essentially unnoticeable and no big deal for me to jam in my pocket - it would get picked up and tossed in my pocket every time I left the house without the Glock. That‘s why I called that second slot “the gun to carry when i’m not carrying a gun.“ In other words, it’s a gun so light and easy to carry, I really don’t have an excuse not to, but it’s a known compromise in recoil/shoot-ability/power/capacity/etc to make it fill that ‘no excuses carry everywhere’ role, while still being admirably capable of real defense. The Kahr P380 and S&W 340PD both fit that bill. I wouldn’t put either gun in the same class as any of the micro 9’s, and would never want either as a primary carry gun, but if they work properly, have the right ammo in them, with a reasonably capable hand - I think we’d all agree 5 rounds of .357 or 8 rounds of .380 acp is sufficient power to deal with 99% of the ccw self defense situations that occur, and that’s assuming you’re part of that fraction of a fraction of a percent of ccw holders that actually have to use their firearm. To have that level of firepower to adequately cover 99% of those situations just on a quick jaunt to the store, versus having nothing and 0% coverage is the point of slot 2. Honestly typing out this book really helps clarify things for me, thanks. Even if the Kahr comes back and works perfectly, the 340PD makes more sense for the intended purpose. The S&W 340PD will undoubtedly be more reliable and trustworthy, much safer to pocket carry, allow a full grip on the gun while in pocket and holster - meaning a much faster draw, and since they’re both ‘defensive/last ditch’ guns, the 3 round ammo deficit is less of an issue, as it’s more likely to be an up close encounter and in the absolute lowest risk situations. 5 rounds of essentially guaranteed to fire .38 special +P or .357 beats the heck out of 8 rounds of most likely to fire .380 ACP.

5. I agree and have no intention of carrying two guns. I feel having and using a CCW is more risk mitigation than 99.9% of the population in this state take, so going well into the extreme and trying to plan for situations that comprise an engagement requiring more than one low capacity magazine of ammo, let alone a second gun - would be well past my line in the sand. It’s so remote of a chance of actually occurring, it doesn’t make mathematical sense to me to even consider or prepare for as a citizen - might be a different story for law enforcement though. As a citizen, you have a much higher chance of dying or being killed by dozens of other things you could actively mitigate more effectively (diet, exercise, installing hepa filters, buying a safer vehicle, etc) but - no judgement against those that want to train/prepare for that. It’s fun to use our imaginations, argue and talk about theoretical’s either way.

6. I’m not concerned about the tactics, training and differences in manual of arms. I can, do and will put in the time to master the tools I carry, get the quarterly professional training and instruction to continuously grow/learn and stay sharp. The one I care about most is the G43, and I’ve got that one absolutely dialed in, so I can dedicate most of my time to mastering the #2, and for it’s intended purpose - even with just the 5 shot revolver, I’d likely never carry a reload. Again, it would squarely be a ‘no excuses to not carry every time you leave’ setup which maximizes simplicity, ease of carry and presents the fewest number of objections.

I’m feeling pretty good about the 340PD filling that role, but don‘t be shy about trying to change my mind! Hopefully the Kahr comes back before it’s time to pick up the 340PD so I can shoot them side by side.

@joel I must ask, what are the repercussions of carrying a gun not listed on your CWP?

For starters, who would ever know?
Seems like an issue that would only arise after a shooting, at which point, I'd say you have bigger things to worry about than that.

Seems like such a stupid law.

@joel I must ask, what are the repercussions of carrying a gun not listed on your CWP?

For starters, who would ever know?
Seems like an issue that would only arise after a shooting, at which point, I'd say you have bigger things to worry about than that.

Seems like such a stupid law.

If you’re carrying a gun not on your permit, you are not protected by the concealed weapons permit, thus you are treated the exact same as a non-permit holding citizen. Depending on the circumstances, they can charge you with a misdemeanor, which involves heavy fines and up to one year in jail. If charged as a felony, up to four years in jail. Getting a weapons charge of that nature would also no longer make you eligible to hold a CCW in California, and that would be the end of your ability to legally carry concealed in the state of California. If you used a weapon in self defense that was not on your permit, and you were obviously in public and concealing it illegally - you have a very good chance of your life being ruined forever. The DA will paint you as a wild vigilante illegally carrying a gun. No jury and most judges in California will care, or be sympathetic about the fact that you have a permit to to carry other guns, the sole focus will be on your ‘wild law breaking.’ Keep in mind, this is just my county, some counties only allow one on the permit, some allow three, some have no limits, and every county makes up their own random restrictions and prints them on the back of the card - it’s pandamonium. That said, I agreed to the terms and signed my name on the dotted line, I’ll do as I’ve committed and stay between the lines.

As a permit holder, you have to also agree to certain terms such as notifying police you are a ccw permit holder and have a weapon on you if you interact with them (traffic stop, etc). If you ever print, or your gun shows, you can also just about guarantee in this part of California, the police will be called, and they certainly might request to inspect your firearm, which you agree to surrender to the police for their examination at their discretion as part of your permit terms.

Bottom line, while it may be stupid - it‘s the law, and a serious one at that - which I plan on following to the letter.

I’m just happy that we can finally get permits, and even then - you can‘t imagine the time, paperwork and cost involved. I’m 9+ months into the process, already qualified at the range and still am probably a month or two away from getting my actual cards to allow me to carry.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble, great post as always.
@joel, I won't question your choice of firearms for your CCW, you seem to have it pretty well thought out and you obviously are an experienced shooter. I will however challenge you and anyone reading this post on the fallacy and self-delusion of living in a "safe place" in general. While it's great to live in an area of a relatively low crime rate, it sucks to be that 0.1 % who's experience is otherwise. How many times have we heard in the aftermath of some atrocity, "nothing like that has ever happened around here before" by the surviving bystanders? As Jeff Cooper famously has said "You can't make an appointment for an Emergency". When the black flag goes up, you are called to perform, ready or not! Violence and social unrest are on the rise everywhere and there is little reason to believe that will change for the better anytime soon. Do you really think that those criminals that live 30 minutes away from you never leave home and restrict their egregious behavior to their city?

While I have several options to CCW, I never carry two guns as a civilian. Probably my most carried CCW weapon is my old trusty S&W Airweight Bodyguard 5 shot J frame with a speed strip. After that, it's my Kahr PM9 or my SIG P365. On occasion it's a Glock 19 or a 1911. Sometimes it's a S&W M66 2 1/2 in. barrel. I did get a Ruger LCP Max, but so far it has not proved reliable nor accurate enough to rely on for defensive purposes. It is the very, very rare occasion that I leave home without a gun on my person and even then, I have something in my vehicle.

@joel What county are you in? I'm in SLO, and have had my permit for 30 years. New sheriff reduced the number guns from 3 to 2 here. I've added and subtracted numerous guns over the years, and then finally settled on what I'm most comfortable with. We can carry anything that is legal to own in California, does not have to be on the "roster".

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Awesome response!

1. Only two pistols that can be on my CCW permit at a time, thus at any given time - I can only have 2 different pistols I can CCW. You can own as many pistols as you want though, provided you buy no more than 1 new gun per month… this doesn’t apply to used pistols though. It’s quite silly and makes no sense - but it is what it is.

2. I have not shot them, and I know they have a reputation for stout recoil, but I am confident that will not be an issue for me. I am a reformed big bore revolver shooter - not just owner, shooter and recoil junkie. I have over 1k rounds each through most of my hand cannons like short barrel .500 magnum, 480 Ruger, .460 magnum, etc and put so many rounds of .44 mag through my Ruger super red hawk, I’m on my second barrel and several forcing cones. I like big bangs, they keep things interesting. Perhaps I’ll share my experience and create a thread on each to document initial thoughts, and round counts/updates and accuracy progress towards mastering them.

3. I had 2 bad Kahr 9mm’s, but yeah the .380’s seem to be problematic. It‘s disappointing considering it’s a premium polymer gun at nearly $800 for the Ca approved version. You can get some very fine powder burners I’m that price range.

4. I am probably going to carry more than one gun at a time exactly once, and only because I can and want the mall ninja points. I work from home, so I’m in sweats a lot and won’t be holstered up and carrying all day inside my house. If I make a quick trip to the grocery store to grab 1-2 items, and I’m only going to be gone 15-20 min in my sweatpants and lazy evening wear, or walking the dogs around the block, going to a casual dinner down the street - i’m not going to want to change my pants to jeans with a carry rig, or take off my sweats to strap up a Philster enigma system for my G43 or G42 so I can still wear the sweats. I live in a very safe area, and value of carrying a gun within a 15-20 minute radius of where I live is very low, so the hassle isn’t worth it. With a G42 and G43 on the permit, i’d take neither with me and go without a ccw. 30-60 minutes drive away though are 5 of the top 10 most dangerous cities in California, including #1, #3 and #5. If I’m in these areas, I’d be toting that G43, and it would absolutely be worth the effort to carry and maintain a steadfast focus on situational awareness. If I was going to be out and about all day, even locally, it‘a worth the effort…. But for quick trips, or just running out for quick errands or going to a drive thru for a quick meal to bring home, I wouldn’t likely carry at all. Now, if I had an ultra light pocket gun that lived in a pocket holster next to my keys that was essentially unnoticeable and no big deal for me to jam in my pocket - it would get picked up and tossed in my pocket every time I left the house without the Glock. That‘s why I called that second slot “the gun to carry when i’m not carrying a gun.“ In other words, it’s a gun so light and easy to carry, I really don’t have an excuse not to, but it’s a known compromise in recoil/shoot-ability/power/capacity/etc to make it fill that ‘no excuses carry everywhere’ role, while still being admirably capable of real defense. The Kahr P380 and S&W 340PD both fit that bill. I wouldn’t put either gun in the same class as any of the micro 9’s, and would never want either as a primary carry gun, but if they work properly, have the right ammo in them, with a reasonably capable hand - I think we’d all agree 5 rounds of .357 or 8 rounds of .380 acp is sufficient power to deal with 99% of the ccw self defense situations that occur, and that’s assuming you’re part of that fraction of a fraction of a percent of ccw holders that actually have to use their firearm. To have that level of firepower to adequately cover 99% of those situations just on a quick jaunt to the store, versus having nothing and 0% coverage is the point of slot 2. Honestly typing out this book really helps clarify things for me, thanks. Even if the Kahr comes back and works perfectly, the 340PD makes more sense for the intended purpose. The S&W 340PD will undoubtedly be more reliable and trustworthy, much safer to pocket carry, allow a full grip on the gun while in pocket and holster - meaning a much faster draw, and since they’re both ‘defensive/last ditch’ guns, the 3 round ammo deficit is less of an issue, as it’s more likely to be an up close encounter and in the absolute lowest risk situations. 5 rounds of essentially guaranteed to fire .38 special +P or .357 beats the heck out of 8 rounds of most likely to fire .380 ACP.

5. I agree and have no intention of carrying two guns. I feel having and using a CCW is more risk mitigation than 99.9% of the population in this state take, so going well into the extreme and trying to plan for situations that comprise an engagement requiring more than one low capacity magazine of ammo, let alone a second gun - would be well past my line in the sand. It’s so remote of a chance of actually occurring, it doesn’t make mathematical sense to me to even consider or prepare for as a citizen - might be a different story for law enforcement though. As a citizen, you have a much higher chance of dying or being killed by dozens of other things you could actively mitigate more effectively (diet, exercise, installing hepa filters, buying a safer vehicle, etc) but - no judgement against those that want to train/prepare for that. It’s fun to use our imaginations, argue and talk about theoretical’s either way.

6. I’m not concerned about the tactics, training and differences in manual of arms. I can, do and will put in the time to master the tools I carry, get the quarterly professional training and instruction to continuously grow/learn and stay sharp. The one I care about most is the G43, and I’ve got that one absolutely dialed in, so I can dedicate most of my time to mastering the #2, and for it’s intended purpose - even with just the 5 shot revolver, I’d likely never carry a reload. Again, it would squarely be a ‘no excuses to not carry every time you leave’ setup which maximizes simplicity, ease of carry and presents the fewest number of objections.

I’m feeling pretty good about the 340PD filling that role, but don‘t be shy about trying to change my mind! Hopefully the Kahr comes back before it’s time to pick up the 340PD so I can shoot them side by side.

Your posts are very well thought out. Sounds like to me, you know exactly what you want and exactly how to get there. I like that.
Respect…

Philster Enigma is a great CCW holster. Expensive, but great. You must be rich? ;)

OkieStubble

Now that I’m retired, my Glocks 23 and 19 have pretty much just sat in the safe doing nothing for the last couple of years. Because I am an enthusiast and like different pistols, I like to train, hone and perfect the skills and tactics in the use and carry of such.

I mostly carry my G43X with an extra magazine in my left front pocket in warmer weather, or on my belt when a button up shirt or jacket can conceal it better in cooler weather. But sometimes it’s a Springfield 1911 and sometimes now, a Ruger .357 revolver. Makes me feel like a black John Wayne. :)

As @nortac has reminded before; “the extra magazine isn’t because the 10 rounds that is already in your pistol might not be enough, you carry the extra magazine for the case of when your 10 round semi-auto pistol double feeds on round number 2.”

I also agree with his quote, “no one who has ever been in a gunfight, has asked to carry less rounds.” :)

I personally, would never carry any firearm, magazine or revolver capacity withstanding; and not have a way to reload it. Either because of a malfunction or because it went empty. But that’s just me. :)

Top Bottom