What's new

What to try next?

I've wet shaved for about 5 years but only really got deep into gear in the past 2 years. I've tried a few razors and have found a couple that I think are about as good as it gets for me. Based on these two razors, what should I try next? Thanks for any input.

Best Razors:
Timeless .68 OC
Karve B OC

Good Razors:
Razorock .68 Jaws
Black Beauty Long Handle

Didn't Work For Me:
Pretty much any solid bar. I shave daily but the OC's seem to keep things slicked up during the process
Wolfman WR1 .68 SB
Wolfman WR2 1.15 SB
Karve C SB
Timeless .95 SB
Fatboy
Timeless Bronze

Since you seem to appreciate the open combs why not consider a double OC?

I can personally vouch for the RR SLOC (Yaqi Mellon). I'd say it's somewhere around medium efficiency, quite mild face feel with plenty of that lather retention aspect you were mentioning.

There are other examples to be had as well, just beyond my personal experience.

Others will be along shortly to chime in, I'm sure. 🙂

After studying your list I will give you two razors to consider. The Blackland Blackbird OC and the Lambda Ares V2.
I've looked at Blacklands products and know they are well respected. But based on the information they provide, I thought that the blackbird might be too aggressive. IDK? I'll check out the Lambda.

Since you seem to appreciate the open combs why not consider a double OC?

I can personally vouch for the RR SLOC (Yaqi Mellon). I'd say it's somewhere around medium efficiency, quite mild face feel with plenty of that lather retention aspect you were mentioning.

There are other examples to be had as well, just beyond my personal experience.

Others will be along shortly to chime in, I'm sure. 🙂
I'm sorry but what do you mean by "double OC" The OC's I have are not dual comb, they are OC on both sides.

If you don't mind using used vintage DE razors, I recommend you to try a Gillette NEW Long Comb. Based on your preference, you like mild OC razors and I think the Long Comb would fit nice into that category.
I have the black beauty which is great and a red tip which also works well but not used often. I've tried a Fattip but wasn't big on it. I'll check out the New Long Comb. Thanks!

I'm sorry but what do you mean by "double OC"

The cap and baseplate are both slotted, like so:

sloc.jpg

I've looked at Blacklands products and know they are well respected. But based on the information they provide, I thought that the blackbird might be too aggressive. IDK? I'll check out the Lambda.

The Blackbird would definitely be more aggressive than the Lambda. I probably should have only suggested the Lambda especially since you say the Karve B open comb is one of your best. I don't have the Ares, only the Athena which has a safety bar. There are a few Ares owners here, I know @Mr. Shavington has one.

You might like the Tatara Masamune in Open Comb.

Curious that you like the Black Beauty even though it's not Open Comb. What setting do you like on it? I have the FatBoy, Slim and the Black Beauty and I was quite surprised to find I like the Black Beauty better than the others. I had expected it to be same as the slim but it seems better somehow.

You might like the Tatara Masamune in Open Comb.

Curious that you like the Black Beauty even though it's not Open Comb. What setting do you like on it? I have the FatBoy, Slim and the Black Beauty and I was quite surprised to find I like the Black Beauty better than the others. I had expected it to be same as the slim but it seems better somehow.
I too prefer the Black Beauty over the Slim or Fatboy. I prefer the head-heavy balance. I shave with it on setting “8” with a Lord family blade.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
What to try next?

Hmm, you could always try the PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable in Rose Gold. Why? Its the smoothest shaving razor that I have ever used. It respects lather on your face so you can do multiple passes in the same spot without worry. You can adjust its aggression from super mild, to moderate aggression. The razor is built like a tank, and has a solid 4OZ of heft to it. And its literally the most gorgeous razor that I own.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

PAA also has this razor in nickel coated zamick, aluminum, and stainless steel. So if the copper version is out of stock still, or you can't afford the copper version, there are other options available if you so wish. In my experience, its always a great shave day, when I get to use my double open comb razor. 1-day whiskers? 7-day whiskers? Makes no difference to this razor, adjust the aggression, it hacks it down! Highly recommended razor.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars.

Top Bottom