What's new

What's the holy grail of synthetic brushes?

Very happy with my two Razorock 26mm plissoft synthetics: The Monster and Big Bruce. I alternate between them for all soaps and creams except from Williams and Mitchell's Wool Fat for which I use my boar. My plissofts easily load and create lots of great lather while feeling luxuriously soft. The larger 26mm size works well for me as it's not too large and the extra surface area enables faster loading from the softer bristles.

I've cultivated a garden of APShaveCo synths. I try not to over-water them, and they've grown like crazy. They're all great, all different characters.

And yet, there's this new RV STF XL sitting off to the side, overlooking them all. I swear it thinks it knows something I don't yet.

Last edited:
I've cultivated a garden of APShaveCo synths. I try not to over-water them, and they've grown like crazy. They're all great, all different characters.

And yet, there's this new RV STF XL sitting off to the side, overlooking them all. I swear it thinks it knows something I don't yet.
It does!

I thought I was done experimenting but couldn't resist ordering a TurnNShave Full Moon knot, to see how it compares with the STF and MiG. Cheaper this way than ordering a full brush I might not like, and if it works I can always go for a custom handle. I've also got my second Synbad knot on the way, set at a lower loft, just because. I swear this thing never ends -- I love it.

I thought I was done experimenting but couldn't resist ordering a TurnNShave Full Moon knot, to see how it compares with the STF and MiG. Cheaper this way than ordering a full brush I might not like, and if it works I can always go for a custom handle. I've also got my second Synbad knot on the way, set at a lower loft, just because. I swear this thing never ends -- I love it.
Let us know what you think about the TurnNShave full moon in comparison to the AP Shave and Muhle STF. Thanks

Let us know what you think about the TurnNShave full moon in comparison to the AP Shave and Muhle STF.
I ordered the 26mm Full Moon, but found out afterward that Milton thinks the 24mm is softer. And I'm unsure how similar the Synbad knot is to the Mokasoft and Mew Brown. So something tells me there's going to be mid-credits and post-credits scenes.

I guess I might as well use this thread to ask, does anyone have any experience with Dscosmetics G7 synthetic knots? They have some really nice handles...

I guess I might as well use this thread to ask, does anyone have any experience with Dscosmetics G7 synthetic knots? They have some really nice handles...
I had that knot. The fibers felt almost like a G4 rather than, say, a refinement of the G5. Dense, medium backbone, average soft. Really, nothing special. A brushmaker told me he thinks G7 is all marketing and wonders what happened to the G6's. :001_302:

I'm not a collector, and am close to winnowing down shave gear to those pieces I'd like to settle-in with. Razor, soap, and aftershave choices are pretty much resolved, and brushes are already planned out -- or at least I thought so. The Wald is a mild threat to upsetting the cart, though its purchase remains a long-shot at ever happening. Still, it's roiling the waters.

Brushes have always been the part of the kit that creates havoc in my rational planning and comfortable retirement schemes.

The Wald is a mild threat to upsetting the cart, though its purchase remains a long-shot at ever happening. Still, it's roiling the waters.
I'm in a similar place. I am totally happy with my main brush, a motherlode knot in a custom handle. But now Wald comes along with the A1. The knots sound great and the handles look very nice. Every Wald drop is now an exercise in willpower.

I don't know if it counts as any kind of holy grail, but I rather like my S00019 from Omega. It has just the right combination of soft and firm that I like, for a little bit of exfoliation before my shave.

20230227_092624.jpg

Let us know what you think about the TurnNShave full moon in comparison to the AP Shave and Muhle STF. Thanks
The Full Moon (26mm) is a dense and soft knot, though not the softest. If I didn't already have a MiG then the FM would be fine as is. But the MiG does a lot of things right and has softer fibers. I like the Synbad for those times when cush is paramount. Looks-wise, it's right up there.

I'm glad I have one of each of these brushes.

As to the ranking of the STF: I'm in the process of ordering my second.

Top Bottom