What's new

Acqua di Parma - Leather - Options

I have Acqua di Parma Colonia, Leather, Polo Green, DR Harris Arlington, Dior Sauvage, Floris 89 and Hermes Terre d'Hermes in rotation and enjoy every one of the fragrances. Colonia is getting the least use at the moment since it seems like a better spring and summer option. I really, really enjoy AdP Leather and would like to try another Acqua di Parma fragrance. Considering my current selection (I have a dozen decanted samples of some Tom Ford, etc.), what Acqua di Parma fragrance would you suggest? I'm also open to other brands, but I like AdP Leather so much that I thought there must be another AdP worth trying. I will add that the DR Harris Arlington is a very mild fragrance that doesn't really compare to the rest, even though I do like it in some situations where I am not necessarily looking to stand out.

My Tom Ford samples are nice, but of the four I have (Oud Wood, Tobacco Oud, Noir, and Grey Vetiver), none seem to be very long lasting. I have a selection of more sweet smelling samples (Paco Rabanne One Million, Dior Fahrenheit, Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Male, and Dolce&Gabanna the One) that I haven't tried yet, but are nice. Of the samples I have that I might purchase in a larger size, I like Giogio Armani Acqua di Gio a lot. I also have a Creed Aventus sample which I like, but it is so similar to Acqua di Gio I can't see spending that much on Aventus.

Thank you.

Have you sampled AdP Oud, I really like it, think it's more versatile than a cool weather scent usually is. It is obviously a synthetic oud, but judged on it's own merit it's pretty nice!

I've owned almost every ADP.

AMBRA is what you seek. It's dark and dirty, but refined. Just sweet enough to be sensual. Just killer. I like it better than Leather, which is saying something.

Oud is awesome, a close 2nd, but I think my wife likes Ambra a little bit better.

Honorable mention:
Quercia = this one is special. It's a classic, manly, green mossy scent. It's very good.

I would pass on:
Mirra - smells similar to Guerlain Heritage or Cigar aficionado, etc.. Expensive considering.
Ebano - sort of smells like honey and sandalwood. Smells a bit "sweaty"
Sandelo - this is a very barbershoppy sandalwood. I don't like it.

After Colonia my favourite AdP scent is Cipresso di Toscana from the Blu Mediterraneo range. But that’s even more of a summer scent so it isn’t what you want.

I’d second Quercia. I like it and it’s pleasant but distinctive enough to hold my interest. I don’t think it would offend anyone.

I’m not as much of a fan of AdP Oud. It smells great when it goes on, but I find the dry-down to be very boring and it lasts forever. AdP Oud is a scent that always outstays its welcome, for me, and I usually find myself trying to wash it off after an hour.

Personally, I never care about summer or winter scents. I wear whatever scent I want to smell on the day, so I happily use Colonia and Cipresso di Toscana all year. It might even be that I enjoy them more in winter because they make me think of summery things.

Tom Ford Tobacco Oud is outstanding to me - as is Oud Wood - so it’s a pity they don’t last enough to satisfy you. They would have been my pick of ’winter’ scents.

I do not like Creed fragrances - they are offensively strong and the dry-down is not to my taste, but Creed Original Vetiver is the exception for me and I think vetiver is a good all-season, clean and fresh scent.

I personally didn't like AdP Oud. Its more of a normal AdP scent with Oud mixed in instead of properly integrated into the scent. I liked AdP Fico di Amalfi and Sandalo. The former is a green, fruity take. Not as bright and heavily features a fig note which I love. Sandalo is a simple sandalwood accord mixed with a few other creamy, darker base notes and is a very aromatic without going into full amber or oriental territory.

If you want other brands to try, I recommend Montale and Histoires de parfum. They both have some killer fragrances imo.

I've owned almost every ADP.

AMBRA is what you seek. It's dark and dirty, but refined. Just sweet enough to be sensual. Just killer. I like it better than Leather, which is saying something.

Oud is awesome, a close 2nd, but I think my wife likes Ambra a little bit better.

Honorable mention:
Quercia = this one is special. It's a classic, manly, green mossy scent. It's very good.

I would pass on:
Mirra - smells similar to Guerlain Heritage or Cigar aficionado, etc.. Expensive considering.
Ebano - sort of smells like honey and sandalwood. Smells a bit "sweaty"
Sandelo - this is a very barbershoppy sandalwood. I don't like it.
Thanks for the recommendations. Ambra sounds like something I should try!

After Colonia my favourite AdP scent is Cipresso di Toscana from the Blu Mediterraneo range. But that’s even more of a summer scent so it isn’t what you want.

I’d second Quercia. I like it and it’s pleasant but distinctive enough to hold my interest. I don’t think it would offend anyone.

I’m not as much of a fan of AdP Oud. It smells great when it goes on, but I find the dry-down to be very boring and it lasts forever. AdP Oud is a scent that always outstays its welcome, for me, and I usually find myself trying to wash it off after an hour.

Personally, I never care about summer or winter scents. I wear whatever scent I want to smell on the day, so I happily use Colonia and Cipresso di Toscana all year. It might even be that I enjoy them more in winter because they make me think of summery things.

Tom Ford Tobacco Oud is outstanding to me - as is Oud Wood - so it’s a pity they don’t last enough to satisfy you. They would have been my pick of ’winter’ scents.

I do not like Creed fragrances - they are offensively strong and the dry-down is not to my taste, but Creed Original Vetiver is the exception for me and I think vetiver is a good all-season, clean and fresh scent.
I e been curious about the Mediterraneo range, and would also like another summer fragrance. As for the Tom Ford fragrances, I’m using tiny decanted samples, so I don’t know if that has anything to do with longevity. I would like to have a TF selection in my collection, and am considering picking up a sample of Black Orchid. I think I need to get a few samples of AdP to figure that brand out. I’m very happy with what I bought blind, but at this point I need to put my nose to a fragrance before I add any more to me collection.

I e been curious about the Mediterraneo range, and would also like another summer fragrance. As for the Tom Ford fragrances, I’m using tiny decanted samples, so I don’t know if that has anything to do with longevity. I would like to have a TF selection in my collection, and am considering picking up a sample of Black Orchid. I think I need to get a few samples of AdP to figure that brand out. I’m very happy with what I bought blind, but at this point I need to put my nose to a fragrance before I add any more to me collection.
TF Oud Wood has a reputation for not lasting as long as you'd like. One thing that seems to help is to spray a few sprays in the same spot, rather than spreading it out.

Black Orchid is, frankly, really great--if you like dark, dry florals-- and the projection and longevity are good. The dry down evolves a long ways from the initial notes, though-- not a bad thing, just makes it more interesting in my opinion. It doesn't scream "summer scent" to me but it certainly would work in warm weather. Fico d'Amalfi is my favorite ADP that I've sniffed, but I don't have a ton of experience with their lineup.

You might try to get a sample of TF Ombre Leather. I don't care for it on my skin, but it's a very well put together scent.

TF Oud Wood has a reputation for not lasting as long as you'd like. One thing that seems to help is to spray a few sprays in the same spot, rather than spreading it out.

Black Orchid is, frankly, really great--if you like dark, dry florals-- and the projection and longevity are good. The dry down evolves a long ways from the initial notes, though-- not a bad thing, just makes it more interesting in my opinion. It doesn't scream "summer scent" to me but it certainly would work in warm weather. Fico d'Amalfi is my favorite ADP that I've sniffed, but I don't have a ton of experience with their lineup.

You might try to get a sample of TF Ombre Leather. I don't care for it on my skin, but it's a very well put together scent.
AdP Fico d’Amalfi is a very good fragrance - but it’s definitely fig so you have to want that.

I ended up purchasing AdP Ambra, and Mirto di Panarea, along with Acqua di Gio Profondo. For now, that rounds out my collection, and I still have a lot of samples to use up of some Tom Ford and others mentioned in my original post above. I forgot to mention I purchased a sample set of the Saponoficio Varesino EdP line containing Cubebe, Felce Aromatica, Morado, Opuntina, and the 70th Anniversary, and ordered the 70th in a bottle based on the samples. I have and enjoy DR Harris Arlington cologne, which is understated and more "barber shop" than the EdP's and EdT's in my collection, but is great when I am wearing Wesco Boots and a Pendleton. The 70th EdP takes the English Barber Shop vibe of Arlington to Italy, and is a wonderful fragrance. There is a strong chance I will add something special to my line up eventually, and I am excited to see how my new purchases fit into my routine. I'll probably go to a department store or someplace with a selection to try in person since I have enough at home that I don't want to do any more blind purchases that might not fit in with what I have and like. The sweeter EdP samples I have are nice, but they don't really fit my taste or style. Being single and not really in the dating world, it is all about what I like! And, even if a woman came into the picture and had an opinion, I would not wear a fragrance I don't like or feel doesn't fit who I am. I almost purchased Bleu d'Chanel EdT, but it seems like it is in a similar category to Dior Savauge, which I already own and like.

Thank you for all of your feedback. If money were no object, I'd likely purchase twice as much as I already own!

Mirto di Panarea
That's my Blu Meditteranio! The conversation didn't seem like it was going there so I didn't mention it. It's the only fragrance that I absolutely spray in like Axe, it's not concentrated enough. SV Stella Alpina is a dead wringer for it too, I bought the after shave just to use with this fragrance as I have too many soaps and can use any random citrus scented one perfectly.

While I have a good selection of different types of fragrances, I'm open to a recommendation that might complement what I own. At this point, it seems I have a balance of summer and winter fragrances, so I am not looking for any particular season, but rather something that is in a different direction. At the moment I am considering Parfums de Marly Layton, Dior Homme Intense, Maison Margiela Jazz Club and Guerlain L'Homme Ideal. Candidly, the Parfums de Marly is more than I'd like to spend. While the season is not important, a great year-round option would be nice.

I hate dragging out decisions and need to put my energies into work and life. So, I took the plunge on two more additions after reading through many threads on B&B, watching some YouTube reviews, and checking prices and availability. Even though I said I would avoid blind purchases, that is precisely what I did. I made my choices based on what I thought would be the best compliments to what I have and where I perceived gaps in what wanted on hand.

Without further delay, I purchased Prada L'Homme and Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza.

Feel free to comment on suggestions, what I purchased, or fragrances in general. I appreciate the knowledge and feedback from the forums!

While I have a good selection of different types of fragrances, I'm open to a recommendation that might complement what I own. At this point, it seems I have a balance of summer and winter fragrances, so I am not looking for any particular season, but rather something that is in a different direction. At the moment I am considering Parfums de Marly Layton, Dior Homme Intense, Maison Margiela Jazz Club and Guerlain L'Homme Ideal. Candidly, the Parfums de Marly is more than I'd like to spend. While the season is not important, a great year-round option would be nice.
Try the fragrances from Hawthorne. I have several along with a couple Le Labo that have been standards for me. The Hawthornes are better quality and a very good deal. I love Jazz Club but it is most definitely a Winter fragrance.

A sure sign I have a problem started with researching the many Parfum de Marly options and purchasing Herod before I turned in last evening. I'm not sure whether I feel more excitement or shame. Hopefully, I am able to keep my current client focused, and close the deal I am working on to support my habit. If that deal closes, I am very interested in Chanel 1957. And I thought trying out wet shaving options was expensive!

Welcome to B&B, Sir RRGGMM!
You've got such excellent taste in colognes!
FWIW, my only TF scent (tobacco vanille) is really long-lasting! Perhaps I'm just too cold blooded!
For something really potent and long-lived, you might test some Amouage!

amouage.jpg

Welcome to B&B, Sir RRGGMM!
You've got such excellent taste in colognes!
FWIW, my only TF scent (tobacco vanille) is really long-lasting! Perhaps I'm just too cold blooded!
For something really potent and long-lived, you might test some Amouage!

View attachment 1614706
I revisited my Tom Ford samples and fell in love with Tobacco Oud. Unfortunately, finding it for sale seems impossible since it was discontinued. I currently have TF Noir on the back of my hand, and while I like it, it is a bit too powdery, even though I could easily wear it. I did buy Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Male since I enjoyed that sample, Dolce & Gabanna the One, and Light Blue Intense. Amouage Interlude is definitely on my list. I am also very curious about Chanel 1957, and am hoping to see what my local Macy's has in the store. I do have some great spring/summer and fall/winter fragrances arriving next week, and need to try those to get a better idea of what would be the best next purchase for my needs. Thanks for your suggestions!

A lot of great suggestions here. One comment as to DRH Arlington. I love it and wish it were done as an EdP, but lacking that I have found that it pairs exceeding well with Louis Vuitton Afternoon Swim, another citrus scent, more orange but also light and fresh. I originally used Bulgari Tygar but it didn’t wow me and then I tried Afternoon Swim and have been happy since.

Here is a list of what I either own or have en route. Thanks for all of the suggestions! I found a 50ml bottle of Tobacco Oud at Fragrancenet on sale and jumped on it!

Acqua Di Parma
  • Ambra EdP
  • Colonia EdC
  • Colonia Essenza EdC
  • Leather EdP
  • Medeteraneo Mirto Di Panarea EdT
Christian Dior - Sauvage EdT

Dolce & Gabbana

• Light Blue Intense EdP
  • The One EdP
DR Harris - Arlington EdC

Floris - No 89

Giorgio Armani - Acqua Di Gio Profondo EdP

Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal EdP

Hermes - Terre D'Hermes Parfum

Jean Paul Gaultier - Ultra Male EdT

Parfums De Marly - Herod EdP

Prada - L'Homme EdT

Ralph Lauren - Polo Green EdT

Tom Ford - Tobacco Oud - EdP

Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniverasy EdP

I am always open to more suggetions, and have fragrances from Les Indemodables, Maison Margiela, Amouage, Chanel, Le Labo, Montale, Parfums De Marly, and others on my list.

Top Bottom