What's new

February 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in!
❤️🪒

FEBC887A-1A11-48BE-B501-D91647D522E3.jpeg

Date23.02.2023
365 days of shaving54/365 (100%)
GRUYERE54/365 (100%)
GRUME February23/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes3
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N
Neck: S-N (slanted)

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCLTiger Platinum (9)Kox Blue Synthetic
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splash
Dutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
7.5/10 (DFS+)7/10 (Harsh)

Notes to today’s shave:

Back to zen states of mind. No urges to buy razors and good in the soap department as well. Lately I have some increased attention for shaving bowls apartment, but that’s manageable.

Ninth shave with the Tiger was a bit too much for the blade. Still performed, but it was harsher and at times tugging. No weepers or irritation which is where this blade excels in actually. It could have been the lather as it was on the dryer side today. Good result - left cheek is BBS even.

Enjoy your shave today.
Your Zen seems kinda jumpy, Guido.

TL,DR:
This afternoon, I paid an invoice for a long awaited razor. It puts me out of the February GRUME.

Here's the longer version of the story: Back in 2022, I have put my name on two waiting lists for two different razors (Lambda / Wolfman). I expected my name wouldn't be called until 2023 on either of the lists. At that time, I was still undecided which way to go. Not because I eventually did not want to purchase both razors, but because the GRUYERE allows only one exception and I assumed that I would have to choose one of the razors in order to not fail GRUYERE. The other purchase would then have to be postponed. That was my thought.

A couple of days ago it turned out that
regardless of when the waiting list related payment is to be made, under the rules of the GRUYERE, such a payment is considered a purchase that is assigned to the year one has entered the waiting list (in my case: 2022).

In consequence, by making the payment today, I technically have not executed my exception in the 2023 GRUYERE.
Hence today's payment does put me out of February GRUME, since GRUME exception #3 doesn't apply.

Yep, it's time for a roll call @FoolishMortal.

Cheers!
Guido

Day 23, 82.1% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #2
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid.

Another near-BBS with the same kit. The second shave on an Astra is always smoother.

2-5-23 Sun. PM

SWS: 6 of 52
365: 36 of 365
FEB GRUME still in

Razor: Henson al13+
Blade: Treet platinum (2)
Soap: B&M Seville
Brush: Omega 50014

The missus mentioned she would like to take a few days off and spend an extra long weekend visiting family up north in March. Decided that I should get back to breaking in my Omega 50014 boar travel brush. I must say I really enjoy these small brushes, it built a very nice lather and isnt too rough on the face.
Was settled into a nice smooth easy-going shave when my Dad dropped in for a visit. Cut the shave short after 2 passes. Probably a good thing...still ended up being DFS++
FANTASTIC.
View attachment 1601003
Be well
Jay
I’m considering this brush for my travel kit. Would you be able to confirm the packed dimensions with the brush in travel mode. Length and diameter of the travel tube? thanks.

Still in. Did a later shave since there was no trip to town today. A DFS, but I am beginning to think my blade run (224 shaves) may end in a week or two.

Meanwhile, the snow is piling up and I am very glad I’m not trying to drive home in it right now. Our trip tomorrow looks doubtful. Both of us are just recovered from COVID, and agree that shoveling snow off the driveway is not a good idea. Then there’s about 25 miles of snow driving on a road that is officially closed and probably not maintained well now. But who knows??

Top Bottom