What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

The French Leresche razors are affordable and top quality with lovely cases. I also have some Rotbart which I also recommend and again they are affordable, at least currently.

Here is my small Rotbart group and my Leresche #34. I also owned the Leresche #51 shown below which is highly rated by many but the shave did not please me so I sold it.

View attachment 1610548
View attachment 1610549
View attachment 1610550

I really want to try one of these, but I rarely see then for around or below $50. I've heard that the top cap or perhaps the whole head itself is made out of zamak, which isn't necessarily bad, but I wouldn't pay much for a zamak razor regardless if it's new or vintage.

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 15-50-54 Vintage non Gillette razors.png

I really want to try one of these, but I rarely see then for around or below $50. I've heard that the top cap or perhaps the whole head itself is made out of zamak, which isn't necessarily bad, but I wouldn't pay much for a zamak razor regardless if it's new or vintage.

View attachment 1610563
Leresche razors aren't Zamak. At least not any I've seen. That was more of a German thing to do.

I'd add the G.E. Jones Shake Sharp and Cooper MonoBilt to the list of razors one ought to try.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding

View attachment 1610563
I think the black handled one is zamak but I am not sure about the travel razor which seems much better quality. I have never seen another one exactly like it and am not even certain of the model. The closest I have seen is the 5021 in the catalog on Mr.Razor but my handle is different and very well made. Anyway it is a great shaver and one of my favourites 👍

20230223_141441~2.jpg
20230223_141852~2.jpg

20230223_141908~2.jpg

1937-05_Rotbart_Catalog-02.jpg

I think the black handled one is zamak but I am not sure about the travel razor which seems much better quality. I have never seen another one exactly like it and am not even certain of the model. The closest I have seen is the 5021 in the catalog on Mr.Razor but my handle is different and very well made. Anyway it is a great shaver and one of my favourites 👍

View attachment 1610569
View attachment 1610570

View attachment 1610572

That leather case looks really nice. One of the best vintage leather cases I've seen.

View attachment 1610569
View attachment 1610570

View attachment 1610571

View attachment 1610572
The handle is beautiful!

Since I own or had the pleasure of using most of the vintage Gillette razors, my interest in them has dramatically declined and my attention has turned into other non Gillette razors. Over the last year, I've managed to acquire a couple of interesting razors such as the Gibbs #15 adjustable, Eclipse Red Ring, Swing, Segal Adjustable and Dorko Double Slant.

I know of a couple of razors such as the Personna Precisionist, any of the Darwin models, Kirby, Lecoq, Matador, Olaf Rasmussen, but most of them are quite pricy and not very easy to find.

So, what am I missing, what can you recommend?
Merkur Progress? Older ajustable razor still manufactured, my best razor so far...

The French Leresche razors are affordable and top quality with lovely cases. I also have some Rotbart which I also recommend and again they are affordable, at least currently.

Here is my small Rotbart group and my Leresche #34. I also owned the Leresche #51 shown below which is highly rated by many but the shave did not please me so I sold it.

View attachment 1610548
View attachment 1610549
View attachment 1610550
The Rothbart RFB later became the Gillette RFB, right? Looks really preserved! Nice! I have seen a RFB head on the bay for a reasonable price indeed.

And @Medivh - there’s also the Swedish Swing (you have the safety bar version, but there are more).

Cheers,

Guido

Most of the time, you get charming replicas of the old Gillette years. The only difference is in execution.

R

romsitsa

All scalloped head Rotbarts have zamak necks and combs, on later modells the cap is also zamak, exceptions are the plastic versions. There is one all brass, but that is mine.

Some noteable non Gillette razors, ymmv:
Benz
Funken
Cava/Palmera
Shake sharp
Barbasol fh
Gleaner
LeCoq caged
LeCoq safety bar
Wardonia Declic
Myatt (all brass)
L'Essor differential
Kabrand/LeGrelot with the massive gap
Swing "adjustable"
Swing bowling pin handle
Swing Dutch version
Matador Deluxe
Fasan red dot
D Petard

R

romsitsa

That thinner than usual comb and or whole razor only pops up with Dutch markings. Usually a ball end brass handle, but I can not exclude the bakelite/aluminium version.

Top Bottom