What's new

Bengall "Cast Steel" info/advice

Hey all! Just finished a shave with a recent antique store acquisition, and loved it so much I'd like to baby it a little more than originally intended with the cleanup.

Could these scales be original? What material are they? Any "do's and don'ts" regarding cleaning up these scales I should know about?

And I understand it's hard to date a razor sometimes, but if anyone has an idea about a ballpark as to how vintage this razor is, I'd love to hear it. I've done some research but I'd like to see a fresh discussion for some more ideas.

Can post some more photos later if needed. I have it apart currently. The stamp just says "Bengall Cast Steel", and nothing else.

2 23 23.jpg

Thank you for your time!

Yep - dyed horn. Based on what I have seen, dyed horn was made from two (?) laminated pieces of horn which tend to come apart over time.

What condition are your scales in?

If you don't have a buffing wheel and rouge, you can lightly sand the scales with 1200 to 2000 grit sandpaper, polish them with Mothers polish, and apply 100% neatsfoot oil to nourish them.

I don't soak scales in the neatsfoot oil. I simply apply a liberal coat of the oil with my finger/paper towel/cotton ball, and then let them sit for a day or two on a porcelain dinner plate (concave side facing up), reapplying oil if necessary.

For replacement scales that look like tortoiseshell, you can use tortoise Kirinite.

Check out these bad boys that Alfredo (@Doc226) made:

And these beauties from Jamie (@Mr Bedlington):

What condition are your scales in?

If you don't have a buffing wheel and rouge, you can lightly sand the scales with 1200 to 2000 grit sandpaper, polish them with Mothers polish, and apply 100% neatsfoot oil to nourish them.
They're in very good shape. I think they're aggressively ugly but I'll avoid rescaling this one considering they are probably original, which is really freaking cool. Thanks for the tips. When I get around to the finishing touches with the scales I'll post photos!

Yup, translucent horn dyed to a faux tortoise finish, that has mostly come off.

Most all horn can use rehydration from neetsfoot oil. Oil will revive them. Put the razor in a Zip Loc bag and fill the bag with enough oil to cover the scales, leave for a couple days to weeks. I will not harm the blade. You can save the oil and reuse.

Wipe down well, allow to dry, (day or two). Sand with 600 & 1k, and polish with any good metal polish and paper towels. You can re-dye or leave as is. Save the sanding dust and you can fill any bug bites or cracks with horn dust and CA glue for an invisible repair.

Yup, translucent horn dyed to a faux tortoise finish, that has mostly come off.

Most all horn can use rehydration from neetsfoot oil. Oil will revive them. Put the razor in a Zip Loc bag and fill the bag with enough oil to cover the scales, leave for a couple days to weeks. I will not harm the blade. You can save the oil and reuse.

Wipe down well, allow to dry, (day or two). Sand with 600 & 1k, and polish with any good metal polish and paper towels. You can re-dye or leave as is. Save the sanding dust and you can fill any bug bites or cracks with horn dust and CA glue for an invisible repair.

yeah agree with this. Neetsfoot will rehydrate the scales. They may also do with a very light sanding of VERY high grit paper (mircomesh is perfect for this) and another soak to really make them mirror pop

Top Bottom