What's new

Elliot's Journal

Couple days removed (tentatively scheduled to shave tomorrow) and the BB Ti really was a nice experience. It has me thinking about the efficiency vs. mildness debate.

I don’t believe the BB is known as a mild razor. Yet I didn’t enjoy the Gillette pre-war tech or any of the GEMs nearly as much.

Perhaps my attention should be shifted to consider other razors that aren’t necessarily for the mild crowd. I did, after all, shave with a straight for several years. Now, I can’t say it was always easy… but still.
You get wildly varying descriptions of the Blackbird. If you shave shallow, following the top cap bevel, it’s pretty smooth and medium-high efficiency. If you shave steep (which you can because of the blade exposure) it’s extremely efficient but it can feel harsh and you have to be careful. That’s my take, anyway, and I think it’s why people have such different experiences with it. Either way it’s a good razor. Perhaps if you mix it up using different angles during the shave you can make it work like an adjustable, though I haven’t heard anyone say they do that.

You get wildly varying descriptions of the Blackbird. If you shave shallow, following the top cap bevel, it’s pretty smooth and medium-high efficiency. If you shave steep (which you can because of the blade exposure) it’s extremely efficient but it can feel harsh and you have to be careful. That’s my take, anyway, and I think it’s why people have such different experiences with it. Either way it’s a good razor. Perhaps if you mix it up using different angles during the shave you can make it work like an adjustable, though I haven’t heard anyone say they do that.
Just makes me rethink the narrative, that’s all. I have no need for efficiency as it relates to the hair removal. Much like @Phoenixkh, I do not shave daily, will not be doing so anytime in foreseeable future and have no compulsion to chase BBS. Seeking a good experience, hair removal at an “enough” capacity and, well, the ritual. I actually enjoy the process more than anything else. It’s not about the aesthetic result at all for me.

Shave #8: The final GEM (for now)

Razor: GEM MM clog-pruf
Blade: Personna GEM Coated and Wrapped
Brush: Rudy Vey boar brush with bog oak handle
Pre: Proraso
Soap: Proraso
After: Alum

Well, unfortunately another disappointment from a GEM shave. I think the first I used, the Damaskeene, was the "best," though still not an enjoyable shave. I am positive much of this is technique, as it's far too early to say that these razors categorically don't work for me. I think I will put the GEMs away for awhile... perhaps a few months. My neck is red, has many a mark and is not the happiest it has been. I completed two passes, both WTG, as I was concerned about irritation.

I'd like to try some more DE razors, as the two most enjoyable shaves I have had to date are from the Henson Mild and the BB Ti. There must be something there. I have looked at various other razors in the last day, including Tatara, Carbon, Chiseled Face, Blutt, Rocnel and others. I think I will grab a Blutt when it's restocked, but not yet sold on anything else. More reading will surely ensue. I will say that I had quarrel with some brands that too heavily layer on the "Made in America" thing. I will not single out the brand, but one went as far as to make it seem as though one was less than and not a nationalist for purchasing something made elsewhere. As if not being a nationalist is a put down. I have only lived in the U.S., but it is not where something is produced that makes it excellent. Likely an unwanted tangent that may cause flack, and that's OK, but what matters is, as was once said, "the [person] in the arena." There are plenty of fabulous products made in the U.S. And Canada. And England. And Spain. And Asia. And India. And countless other places. Nationalism is defined as, "a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups." Needless to say this company will never get a dollar of mine or a recommendation. In fact, I don't call it out for a number of reasons, but one of them is free advertising.

I digress. I do somewhat apologize for the diatribe. It's this type of thinking that bothers me more than most things. This post may get removed, and I would understand, but some may read this and hopefully it draws some lines on the people I am interested in collaborating with.

The brush was, well, what one would expect from Rudy Vey: excellence.

The rest of the shave was marked by the classics. Today's rotation had many of what I would call stalwarts in the cabinet, from Proraso to Nivea. Nothing fancy but they do get the job done.

I have an exciting new razor arriving in the post today, which I will plan to use on Wednesday or Thursday. More then.

Have a lovely Monday.

D41FD9A8-C253-4A84-9A38-584054994137.jpeg

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Hoping it’s an easily corrected one. Most razors of that type work best the cap flat against the skin with a very small amount of pressure for the blade to touch the whiskers with always just a little less pressure than used needed to get the job done.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I seem to have a natural immunity to the GEM bug. I think they are beautiful and love all the options for handles and head designs but so far, I've been experiencing them vicariously.

I seem to have a natural immunity to the GEM bug. I think they are beautiful and love all the options for handles and head designs but so far, I've been experiencing them vicariously.
Right or wrong (surely the latter), there's something appealing to me about single-edged blades. Perhaps it's as simple as neurosis and the notion of wondering which side has been used more and how that could impact lifespan and, therefore, comfort. It just seems there's one less thing to think about with a single-edged blade. I am still very tempted to try the X1 slant despite not loving the Superslant in its maiden voyage. Well, who the heck am I kidding, "temped" by about 25 things :c3:.

The Super Slant torques it’s blade like there’s no tomorrow and the X1 holds a blade slightly skewed. Totally different animals.
Well sh*t. Perhaps I will have to be one of the cool kids and get one of those highly-polished and add the Ti Crown :)

Shave #8: The final GEM (for now)

Razor: GEM MM clog-pruf
Blade: Personna GEM Coated and Wrapped
Brush: Rudy Vey boar brush with bog oak handle
Pre: Proraso
Soap: Proraso
After: Alum

Well, unfortunately another disappointment from a GEM shave. I think the first I used, the Damaskeene, was the "best," though still not an enjoyable shave. I am positive much of this is technique, as it's far too early to say that these razors categorically don't work for me. I think I will put the GEMs away for awhile... perhaps a few months. My neck is red, has many a mark and is not the happiest it has been. I completed two passes, both WTG, as I was concerned about irritation.

I'd like to try some more DE razors, as the two most enjoyable shaves I have had to date are from the Henson Mild and the BB Ti. There must be something there. I have looked at various other razors in the last day, including Tatara, Carbon, Chiseled Face, Blutt, Rocnel and others. I think I will grab a Blutt when it's restocked, but not yet sold on anything else. More reading will surely ensue. I will say that I had quarrel with some brands that too heavily layer on the "Made in America" thing. I will not single out the brand, but one went as far as to make it seem as though one was less than and not a nationalist for purchasing something made elsewhere. As if not being a nationalist is a put down. I have only lived in the U.S., but it is not where something is produced that makes it excellent. Likely an unwanted tangent that may cause flack, and that's OK, but what matters is, as was once said, "the [person] in the arena." There are plenty of fabulous products made in the U.S. And Canada. And England. And Spain. And Asia. And India. And countless other places. Nationalism is defined as, "a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups." Needless to say this company will never get a dollar of mine or a recommendation. In fact, I don't call it out for a number of reasons, but one of them is free advertising.

I digress. I do somewhat apologize for the diatribe. It's this type of thinking that bothers me more than most things. This post may get removed, and I would understand, but some may read this and hopefully it draws some lines on the people I am interested in collaborating with.

The brush was, well, what one would expect from Rudy Vey: excellence.

The rest of the shave was marked by the classics. Today's rotation had many of what I would call stalwarts in the cabinet, from Proraso to Nivea. Nothing fancy but they do get the job done.

I have an exciting new razor arriving in the post today, which I will plan to use on Wednesday or Thursday. More then.

Have a lovely Monday.

View attachment 1609151
I know what you mean about promoting nationalism in a business that sells all over the world. One razor manufacturer (maybe it’s the same one you mean) has paragraphs of text on every page of his website talking about US made products being superior to all the garbage made wherever you live. I found it offensive and ignorant in the extreme, and I never bought anything from him for a long, long time, because of it.

Eventually I sort of tuned it out and decided maybe this is just a guy who is enthusiastic about the country he lives in and the life he has been able to lead there. Maybe he came from somewhere where things were much more difficult. His name is a south asian name. I bought a razor or two from him, got chatting via emails, and found him to be a lovely guy who is interested in the world and who actually loves that he has customers from all parts of the globe. He often posts videos on Instagram of a razor he just finished that is going to a customer somewhere interesting. He hardly ever posts if it is just going somewhere in the US. And he remembers us all and everything we ever bought from him, and he takes care of us - for example taking it upon himself to research shipping and customs in my country of residence and trying to make the shipment as smooth as possible. I think he may be one of the best guys in the industry, once I got past the made-in-USA rubbish. He does make a product that represents the sort of quality he believes made-in-USA should mean.

Some things make a bad impression, but sometimes they don’t really represent the person or signify the sort of politics that you might think they do.

Last edited:
I know what you mean about promoting nationalism in a business that sells all over the world. One razor manufacturer (maybe it’s the same one you mean) has paragraphs of text on every page of his website talking about US made products being superior to all the garbage made wherever you live. I found it offensive and ignorant in the extreme, and I never bought anything from him for a long, long time.

Eventually I sort of tuned it out and decided maybe this is just a guy who is enthusiastic about the country he lives in and the life he has been able to lead there. Maybe he came from somewhere where things were much more difficult. His name is a south asian name. I bought a razor or two from him, got chatting via emails, and found him to be a lovely guy who is interested in the world and who actually loves that he has customers from all parts of the globe. He often posts videos on Instagram of a razor he just finished that is going to a customer somewhere interesting. He hardly ever posts if it is just going somewhere in the US. And he remembers us all and everything we ever bought from him, and he takes care of us - for example taking it upon himself to research shipping and customs in my country of residence and trying to make the shipment as smooth as possible. I think he may be one of the best guys in the industry, once I got past the made-in-USA rubbish.

Some things make a bad impression, but sometimes they don’t really represent the person or signify the sort of politics that you might think they do.
Thank you for this. I have a feeling we're discussing the same chap.

+1 I like them from a distance but have felt no need at all to introduce these to the collection. I do think they are amazing razors also based on the reviews and shave notes on B&B.

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As an American, I have to say, I remember when "Made in the USA" meant something. It didn't mean products made here were the best in the world, even then, but the US used to be known for excellence in manufacturing. Let me put it this way: I wouldn't buy a car or truck made in the US today. I used to drive around 60K miles a year for work. I had cars from the big 3 here and they just didn't hold up. I switched to Volvo in those years..and now we drive Toyota Avalons. That is just one example among many. All my cameras are made in Japan... the list could continue.

It is interesting to me. I have one razor from the US: the very fine ATT X1 AC Slant. And yes, I use a polished Timeless Ti Crown handle on it. The rest of my top razors are made in Switzerland, Austria, Greece, Turkey, Scotland (made in Hong Kong) and Canada. The internet has opened up the products available to all of us now. It's an exciting time to be alive, yes... yes it is.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Before you get an X1 Slant, maybe run your brand new Vector a few times with a few different blades. Then probably get an X1 anyways because that’s what happens.

Shave #9: EUREKA!

Razor: Blackland Vector Ti
Blade: Feather Pro Guard
Brush: SV Manchurian Makassar Ebony
Pre: PAA The Tube 2.0 + Proraso Crema Pre Barba
Soap: Taylor Bond Jeremyn Street for Sensitive Skin
After: SV 70th Anniversary Splash

The best safety razor shave to date and it's not even close! I have ordered an X1 and a Timeless Ti as a rapid response to what was a wonderful experience :).

So, lots of things involved this time around. I am trying to take every step I can to limit irritation, hence The Tube 2.0 followed by the Proraso Pre. I am also experimenting with a splash followed by a balm. I don't adore Alum so this seems an alternative.

To the playback:

The razor is a joy. It felt nice in hand and the wider blade wasn't the issue I thought it may be. Since I do maintain a beard, I was mildly concerned that the wider blade would pose a challenge in terms of lining up my cheek/sideburns the way I like. For my cheeks, I did two passes, both WTG. My cheeks are easy peasy, I am learning, and so a XTG or ATG pass just makes no sense. The closeness from two WTG passes is beyond smooth and all I would ever need. I am married, but to put it in context, it's close enough for what one would want for their wedding day. No need to say more, I suppose. For the neck, it was so smooth that I did a THIRD PASS! One incredibly tiny weeper near the Adam's apple that halted even before I got to the splash. Went WTG, XTG and then ATG, which I have not done since my first safety razor shave with the Henson. Forgive me for not knowing the acronyms fully, but I would say just shy of BBS. So that would be DFS++? Regardless, smoother than I would need for my wedding day again.

I am just over the moon with this, as I was starting to worry if I was just doomed. In the years I have been shaving (I started very young as a man with Egyptian lineage), I cannot say it has ever been an enjoyable or comfortable experience.

As for the software, as I believe a more senior member here calls it (forgive me, I have forgotten who... maybe @never-stop-learning or @Cal ?), everything was lovely. The brush is heavy and soft but with ample backbone. I will say that this soap isn't exactly a mega-latherer (in my experience), but it was sufficient and did the job. I think The Tube 2.0 is a true game changer for me, perhaps even more so than the Proraso Pre. I enjoy this serum, which has this interesting texture. I've talked about it before, but it's a fun experience for it to come out of the tube THICK and then spread across very smoothly, closer to a face lotion.

The Vector, albeit after having yet to use a razor twice, stands at the top of the heap, followed by the Henson and Blackbird. I think I'd give a slight nod to the Henson over the Blackbird but they were weeks apart, so tough to truly say. I was surely bolder in my approach with the Blackbird as well, since the Henson was the very first shave with a safety razor.

As you're learning, I am a bit of a rabbit hole diver, so I have placed orders for the following razors:

- ATT X1 Slant, hand polished
- Timeless Crown handle (planned for the above)
- Karve Overlander brass (@Mr. Shavington is to be thanked here, pending results :p)
- Karve Brass Wagner handle (Planned for the above)

In addition, I remain on waiting lists for:

- Lambda Athena
- Wolfman
- Blutt (likely to explore doing multiple plates here, but I am closely following along with @Phoenixkh for his takeaways on if there is a difference that is substantial enough to warrant having both)

I remain tempted by a few others, including the Green Cult and Yates, but not necessarily in a rush on those. That said, I am an impulsive person.

014C0B39-C6EE-4358-9BE3-4191D1046A3B.jpeg

Top Bottom