What's new

Kombucha and Topo Chico

There does not seem to be a beverage subforum other than the Speakeasy and Cafe so I thought I would post here. I realize that there are two topics here, only tenuously related. I beg forgiveness!

First, anyone have any idea why GT Kombucha seems to vary so much, week to week or so, in price? I am talking regular grocery stores (I am thinking Safeway and Giant), not delis, small shops, 7-11s, etc. Not necessarily my favorite brand of Kombucha, but I like it well enough and it seems the easiest to find. Seems like the standard price was under $3 a bottle not that long ago, but my memory may be off. Then the standard price seemed to be $3 and change, then closer to $4, then fairly recently, a bit over $4, say $4.29 or so. But now the standard retail, non-on-sale price at the larger grocery stores seems to be $4.69. I suppose Aldi and Lidl have it consistently enough closer to $3.50, although those places seem to have a restricted selections of GT flavors, some okay, some seemingly not popular ones. But then they seem to be on sale every few weeks or at two for $6.

I really like the stuff, and it keeps me off diet soft drinks, but I am not buying at $4.69, at least unless and until the sales pricing comes to an end. Actually, if Costco has anything decent in any brand I buy at Costco given the excellent prices, but Costco is very hit or miss, and Costco seems to have discontinued its own brand, which seemed limited to bad flavors anyway.

In any event, the pricing seems all over the place. It kind of discourages the consumer, I would think. I do not know whether to blame GT or the stores.

In the Washington, DC area the great Topo Chico shortage continues. I wonder why its current owner Coca Cola can't do better than this. Maybe they are testing just how much they can charge.

Maybe it is a conspiracy to sale. sugar free Coke, which seems really good, an advancement on Diet Coke, and seems to be what I guiltily turn too when I do not have the others. I drink a lot of good coffee these days. Maybe I should be drinking tea, too!

So after I wrote the above I checked the Safeway app. Sure enough, Safeway has GT Kombucha on sale for $3 a bottle, starting today, I guess. I went over and bought 12, which seems like a big investment, buy what the heck.

They seem to have corrected the regular price they were discounting from to a consistent $4.69. But earlier on the day they seemed to list some flavors at regular retail of $3.98 and some at $4.29, as well as at $4.69. They seem to have been raising prices faster than they could keep up with! :)

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Try an ice cold glass-bottle Topo Chico (plain) with a couple of teaspoons of white balsamic. It will make you not crave a soft drink.

Try an ice cold glass-bottle Topo Chico (plain) with a couple of teaspoons of white balsamic. It will make you not crave a soft drink.
Thanks. I will. If I am ever able to purchase Topo Chico again! I had really weaned myself from diet soft drinks before I started having this supply chain problem!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I prefer the Health Aid kind. They have a few different flavors and it’s got a bit more of a kick that I like. I think it was in that 3-4 dollar range at Kroger when I was buying it. Now I don’t go that way to work so I haven’t got it in a long time. I used to drink one a day.

F9CC2040-52DC-4E47-A5A6-70BAC8D074D9.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
And let the record state I’ve never had Topo Chico. I’m not entirely sure what it even is. I always thought it was like a knock off orange juice.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
And let the record state I’ve never had Topo Chico. I’m not entirely sure what it even is. I always thought it was like a knock off orange juice.
Just another mineral water. They do have different flavors but I've never tried those. I buy them by the case at WalMart.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I prefer the Health Aid kind. They have a few different flavors and it’s got a bit more of a kick that I like. I think it was in that 3-4 dollar range at Kroger when I was buying it. Now I don’t go that way to work so I haven’t got it in a long time. I used to drink one a day.

View attachment 1609978
My GF makes her own Kombucha but I've had the Health-Ade brand before.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Just another mineral water. They do have different flavors but I've never tried those. I buy them by the case at WalMart.

Now that you said that it does ring a bell, and I still have never had it.

I was actually thinking of this. I was kinda surprised it was not available anywhere, but kinda not :letterk1:

8ED9E4FD-B036-4BD0-B4AC-8E36A6ECAC64.jpeg

View attachment 1609978
I like Health Aid kombucha okay, and Costco does frequently have it for a decent price. Costco sells it in six packs, as I recall of three flavors, and there are a couple at least that I do not like much. As I recall, one is rose.

Costco has Humm kombucha from time to time to, at a good price, and I like that brand a lot.

I have made my own kombucha, but I found that unlike a lot of things, I really could not make it as good as the commercial stuff. It sure is cheaper to make you own, and it is kind of fun.

I admit that GT Komucha seems like it has a lot of fruit juice in it compared to a lot of other kombucha brands, but they still manage to keep the calorie count down.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I was talking about it back in 2020 when I would stop at Kroger weekly and buy enough for the week. I don’t think I ever considered making my own but I see that Amazon has some kits and there are a few websites where you can buy everything but the water you use.

I think you are right though….I just don’t think I could make it as good. It does seem pretty easy though. Brew the tea, add the kombucha culture, let it sit. But usually stuff that easy isn’t as good as stuff in the stores.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Topo is a nice bubbly water. I like the plain but the lime is okay. The absolute best line is liquid death.

My new office has a contraption in the kitchen that provides sparkling water via a cool tap. I’m drinking it like crazy and am saving a lot of bread that way too.

As for Kombucha I’ve never tried it.

Topo is a nice bubbly water. I like the plain but the lime is okay. The absolute best line is liquid death.

My new office has a contraption in the kitchen that provides sparkling water via a cool tap. I’m drinking it like crazy and am saving a lot of bread that way too.

As for Kombucha I’ve never tried it.
I have not brought myself to try liquid death. Just seemed too much of something. I guess I have lost my sense of humor!

I like Topo Chico's level of carbonation and mineral content. It seems to me that San Pelligrino used to have more of both than it has now. There are lots of decent mineral waters in the world. We in the States probably have access to very few of them.

Re sparkling water from a cool tap--do the bubbles come out fairly small? Does the carbonation hold? I used to use Britta filtered water in a Sodastream machine, but it never seemed as good as bottled sparkling water, even cheap bottled water. And it seemed like more hassle.

If you like things that are a bit vinegary, and maybe a bit earthy, you would probably like kombucha. It seems like a more adult taste to me than a lot of sweet beverages, the calorie count is fairly low, and the probiotic part seems like a good thing. I remember one negative thing about DIY kombucha was I could not get carbonation. What I made was more strongly flavored of vinegar and earth than the commercial brands, but I sort of liked that part. I wonder what the alcohol content of what I made was. It should naturally have some alcohol, I think. You have yeast and bacteria working on sugar. Seems like that would have to produce alcohol!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have not brought myself to try liquid death. Just seemed too much of something. I guess I have lost my sense of humor!

I like Topo Chico's level of carbonation and mineral content. It seems to me that San Pelligrino used to have more of both than it has now. There are lots of decent mineral waters in the world. We in the States probably have access to very few of them.

Re sparkling water from a cool tap--do the bubbles come out fairly small? Does the carbonation hold? I used to use Britta filtered water in a Sodastream machine, but it never seemed as good as bottled sparkling water, even cheap bottled water. And it seemed like more hassle.

If you like things that are a bit vinegary, and maybe a bit earthy, you would probably like kombucha. It seems like a more adult taste to me than a lot of sweet beverages, the calorie count is fairly low, and the probiotic part seems like a good thing. I remember one negative thing about DIY kombucha was I could not get carbonation. What I made was more strongly flavored of vinegar and earth than the commercial brands, but I sort of liked that part. I wonder what the alcohol content of what I made was. It should naturally have some alcohol, I think. You have yeast and bacteria working on sugar. Seems like that would have to produce alcohol!
Liquid death is probably not worth the money. But the lime is definitely worth a try. No other lime flavor has the zip and lightness.

The tap machine: honestly I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s got two taps like a bar / beer tap. One is chilled still and the other is carbonated. The bubbles are on the small side. They last easily for a 12oz cup. Im sure it’s not a mineral water but probably filtered and carbonated. It’s chilled just right too. It’s got the refreshing factor, upping my water intake and the convenience I love.

I’ve used the soda stream too but this has got it beat. The soda stream was ok carbonation if I remember but too much work for the small bottles.

I quit drinking everything but water and into super shape these days :) that said

I used to make my own Kombucha and for me the trick to getting bubbles was the throw a touch more sugar in before bottling and letting it sit out capped longer room temp and then fridge it only way it worked out :)
I also dialed in the flavor so much better than any store and never went for the fancy flavors BUT made mine with Pineapple (island thing) also putting some ginger in was a great flavor for me

took a few months of routine and so on of making your own also I think having two scobies or is it scoby ? Going was the best way to have a daily amount going :)
worth the hassle IMHO to make it yourself though as you can really dial it in and I knew whats in it

topo chico google PFAS :) and decide

whats funny never was a soda drinker but POG or Hawaiian Sun was around though which is just unfizzy sugar laden garbage :) hahahahaha

that recent video of the Coke insider guy talking about the garbage they push is eye opening though sorry have to push some health hahahahahaha

best of luck but truly if you love your Kombucha look into making your own again will take a bit to dial in but so cheap and so much better

I agree re ginger for DIY. Not sure I had the bottles to do carbonated, but makes sense.

I may give it another try.

PFAS and Topo Chico? I am disappointed!

Maybe inconsolable!! Maybe this is the reason for the shortage.

Last edited:
Topp Chico seems to be back at Costco, and it seems like I can usually source GT Kombucha at not much north of $3 and sometimes for $3, but that is at Aldi, Lidl, or TJs.

The PFA thing bothers me, though.

I agree re ginger for DIY. Not sure I had the bottles to do carbonated, but makes sense.

I may give it another try.

PFAS and Topo Chico? I am disappointed!

Maybe inconsolable!! Maybe this is the reason for the shortage.

When I drank the stuff I just kept some of the bottles that had a good cap and did some looking into and had no issue reusing the screw tops :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
When I drank the stuff I just kept some of the bottles that had a good cap and did some looking into and had no issue reusing the screw tops :)

My wife makes her own Kombucha at home and purchases the bottles online with the lid that has the clear plastic stopper thingy on it so she can finish it’s fermentation in the bottles. I prefer her kombucha over store brands because she flavors them with sugar free fruit juices like grape, strawberry/kiwi and many others, the sky’s the limit. I like that she also adds Chia Seeds to her kombucha bottles. Her kombucha’s have a good bite, twang and protein and fiber from the seeds

She also makes a strawberry/banana Kefir in those same bottles that is to die for. Best guilt free drinkable desert I’ve ever had.

Top Bottom