What's new

Just poking my head in!

Hi everyone!

Moved from one of those stupid Gillette Fusion 5 ProGlide Power whatevers (the ones that vibrate when you stick a battery in them!) to a little Wilkinson Sword Classic set about six months ago. I've been shaving through a Connaught's sample pack with some Astra SP's as a control and I've got some surprising (to me :001_tongu) results!

For context, I have pretty sensitive skin and pretty coarse stubble, so I don't shave unless I'm going out or until my stubble annoys me, so usually every 3-ish days.

Warm Shower -> Lather in soap lid -> WTG -> ATG (Cold razor)

The Lineup
  • Astra Superior Platinum
  • Derby Extra
  • Feather
  • Gillette Platinum
  • Gillette Silver Blue
  • Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows
  • Personna Platinum (German Blues)
  • Super Shave X
  • Tiger Superior
  • Treet Platinum

So the Astras have been solid when it wasn't a bum blade (1 in every 4/5), but a little tugging ATG. "No biggy, I'll try a sharper blade!", I thought.

Tigers were next. Genuinely awful. Felt like it was chewing on my skin. I had to quit two strokes in and walk around the rest of the day a patchy stubbly mess. Thank God I was working from home!

On a whim, I tried the Super Shave X. Honestly, I wasn't too hopeful, but that first blade in the pack made me realise why people love shaving.
BBS, no irritation, an absolute joy to shave with. Since that shave I've gone through two more blades and all three performed more like the Astras. Still chasing that bloody dragon...

I figured I'd try a sharper blade tomorrow, since the Sword's a milder razor. I was torn between GSB, GPlatinums, or Personna Platinums.

After searching a bit on here, it seems like SBs are a little smoother than Plats, but the Personnas are either really good or utter tripe, depending on who was posting, and I love a coin-toss!

Do you guys have any opinions on the blades? Obviously the Feathers are kept away for now. I do want to try the Treet and Derby, if only to see how smooth/dull they really are...

As for the kit, yeah I'm cheap, but I'm glad I moved on to a new soap. (Cella cream. The cherry scent gets me hungry in the morning!)

Attachments

• 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20230221014221447_COVER.jpg
    00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20230221014221447_COVER.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Welcome to B&B, have some great shaves! Looks like you have been studying and started your traditional wet shaving already!

Welcome to B&B! The first thing I want to say is, never throw out blades from a sample pack. Your technique and your razor may change and you will be surprised how different your opinion can be after some time.

As long as your skin is in a good place, get the Feathers over with sooner than later since you have some experience. You might be pleasantly surprised, at least for as short as they last! Otherwise, try the Personnas. Why, I don't know?

Welcome to B&B! The first thing I want to say is, never throw out blades from a sample pack. Your technique and your razor may change and you will be surprised how different your opinion can be after some time.

As long as your skin is in a good place, get the Feathers over with sooner than later since you have some experience. You might be pleasantly surprised, at least for as short as they last! Otherwise, try the Personnas. Why, I don't know?

Oh 100%! I'm thinking about grabbing a Muhle R89 so I can swap the head out for a R41 if I fancy something a bit more aggressive.
Would be worth testing those blades again!

I'll definitely be trying all of the blades, but I'd ideally like to work up to Feathers so I've got a better technique :biggrin1:

Welcome
I use Treet Platinums regularly and get great shaves. Close and smooth.

What razor do you use with it? Something more aggressive I'm guessing?

Oh 100%! I'm thinking about grabbing a Muhle R89 so I can swap the head out for a R41 if I fancy something a bit more aggressive.

I'll definitely be trying all of the blades, but I'd ideally like to work up to Feathers so I've got a better technique :biggrin1:

I have used them in Gamechanger 68, Henson mild, Gillette slim adjustable from 6 down to 1. They seem to work for me in everything.

Welcome to Badger and Blade!

'Aggressive' is a much used and often misleading term. A better word is 'efficient' many would suggest.

An 'aggressive' razor is basically a razor with significant blade gap and or blade exposure. It may be a somewhat stressful shave. Some enjoy this. Some prefer a more relaxed experience.

An 'efficient' razor is capable of taking down significant growth with fewer passes. Obviously technique and self awareness of ones beard growth pattern and skin come into play here too. The Fatip Piccolo or the vintage English Flat Bottom Tech are great examples of an efficient razor. There are many others, vintage and modern.

An efficient razor tends to be mild and gentle in use. To me, that is the epitome of a great razor.

Here is a good discussion on this topic
What does aggressive mean? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/what-does-aggressive-mean.633918/#post-12057919

Last edited:
work up to Feathers so I've got a better technique

In my personal experience, working with Feathers delivered better technique.

I wouldn't necessarily hand one to somebody for their first DE shave but...

Shaving with less sharp, super smooth blades basically allowed me to develop some bad habits re angle, pressure, length of stroke, etc.

When I switched up to Feathers my technique improved almost exponentially every shave. Because it had to.

These days I almost always use a Bic Chrome Platinum (quite similar) but I'll always be indebted to the famous Feather for banishing my sloppiness.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Welcome! The best blade in the world is …

Well it’s truly an age old question lol
Many blade threads later I’m still not sure. I know the shark blades eat my face. Otherwise the options are seriously endless!

Try others from the lord line, or kai or persona blues or reds. Or …

Welcome aboard!

To answer one of your questions: blades are the most YMMV aspect of ‘traditional’ wet shaving. That said, your blade options include two of my ‘top tier’ blades, GSB and Astra SP (where I have had few duds). The rest of my top-tier includes Personna reds (Israeli), Personna labs (or med preps, US made), Wizamet SI (or Polsilver).

In the end, you need to try things for your self and ENJOY the ride!!

Welcome

The blades mentioned above are some that I’ve liked.

Besides those, I’ve had good shaves wit the Gillette Nacet blades

Top Bottom