What's new

General razor cleaning questions

I disassemble when changing the blade out which is usually every 4 or 5 shaves. At the end of every shave I rinse well with hot water and shake it off. I scrub them down with hot water, a nail brush, and dawn. I don't mess with the dots on the blade and handle as little as possible because they're so dang sharp! My razors are always sparkling clean using this process.

I disassemble when changing the blade out which is usually every 4 or 5 shaves. At the end of every shave I rinse well with hot water and shake it off. I scrub them down with hot water, a nail brush, and dawn. I don't mess with the dots on the blade and handle as little as possible because they're so dang sharp! My razors are always sparkling clean using this process.
I expect nothing less from Mr Clean and his brothers Mr Proper, Maestro Lindo, Don Limpio and Monsieur Propre

I’m with @Phoenixkh and @Old Hippie here. I take everything apart after every shave, rinse, dry and buff my gear with a micro towel. Was dots are usually gone by the time I pad my blade dry (I used to wipe them and thus remove wax anyway). Reassemble for a next use.

They are just for me and at some point will pass on to my son, but I do it for myself. I like things clean and shiny.

Guido

With each blade change, after corking, I gently and CAREFULLY, wipe the blade with an alcohol prep swab.

Razor Cleaner.jpg

To clean my KCG razor, I soak it in my homemade blade cleaner containing rubbing alcohol.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I love these questions. The first thing I do with a new blade is put a little fire on it. I like to use a propane torch for this procedure. Have a bucket of water handy as you don't want to draw the temper out of the metal. I don't care for the burn marks this leaves, so I like to use metal polish on the blade to bring it back to normal luster, or beyond, if I do say so myself. As you might imagine, the wax doesn't last very long under the flame.

Then I do my first pass. After each pass I remove the blade and drop it, along with the razor, into an ultrasonic cleaner for a few minutes.

After the final pass I soak the razor and blade in rubbing alcohol and carry it (in a biohazard container) to my local dentist who sterilizes it along with the dental tools at the end of the day for a nominal fee. Sure, it's a bit of a pain to drive there twice a day and pay the fee, but peace of mind is worth a lot.

Oh, wait . . . I'm only using the razor on my own face. Why would I need to sterilize it?

Here's what I actually do: I rinse it under a blast of hot tap water after each shave. I touch the blade twice - once when putting in the new blade and again when throwing it out. I ignore the wax dots. 2 or 3 times a month I use an old toothbrush if I see any soap residue on the razor.

But do what makes you happy. It's all good. Peace of mind really is a good thing.

I use a 3-piece razor and get 8-10 shaves per blade.

Once a new blade is in the razor, it stays there until it dies.

Since I use Proraso a lot, by the 10th shave the razor has an ugly white film. By that time I take the razor apart, scrub it down with an old toothbrush and dish detergent, pat it dry, spray with alcohol and let it air dry.

When reassembling, I put a bit of Lypsyl on the threads…a habit I started years ago when ’zamak-rot’ discussions were all the rage on message boards. I now have a brass razor but old habits die hard!

Never really cared about wax dots.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone!

I don't think I'm a fan of using the old blade to scratch off the wax - 1) it's a bit dangerous; 2) I wouldn't want to rub soap residue/dead skin/bacteria from the old blade onto the new.

Just in case it was missed, I'm pretty sure most don't care if the wax remained on the blade. It's when it gunks up the head that's annoying.

I love these questions. The first thing I do with a new blade is put a little fire on it. I like to use a propane torch for this procedure. Have a bucket of water handy as you don't want to draw the temper out of the metal. I don't care for the burn marks this leaves, so I like to use metal polish on the blade to bring it back to normal luster, or beyond, if I do say so myself. As you might imagine, the wax doesn't last very long under the flame.

Then I do my first pass. After each pass I remove the blade and drop it, along with the razor, into an ultrasonic cleaner for a few minutes.

After the final pass I soak the razor and blade in rubbing alcohol and carry it (in a biohazard container) to my local dentist who sterilizes it along with the dental tools at the end of the day for a nominal fee. Sure, it's a bit of a pain to drive there twice a day and pay the fee, but peace of mind is worth a lot.

Oh, wait . . . I'm only using the razor on my own face. Why would I need to sterilize it?

Here's what I actually do: I rinse it under a blast of hot tap water after each shave. I touch the blade twice - once when putting in the new blade and again when throwing it out. I ignore the wax dots. 2 or 3 times a month I use an old toothbrush if I see any soap residue on the razor.

But do what makes you happy. It's all good. Peace of mind really is a good thing.
You had me until the after the first pass but what do you expect from a gullible newb 😅

I can’t relate to many of these posts. I will clean a just-purchased used razor with Dawn and a toothbrush. But that’s likely the last time it will be cleaned. I shave and put it away. Maybe, maybe I’ll clean up a razor with a bicarbonate scrub once a year or two if it’s too groaty. I do put a drop of machine oil down the barrels of my TTO’s once a year, but that’s it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll apply some mineral oil to my razors that have mechanical movements periodically. I couldn't say how often exactly.

Remove blade, attach to magnet, dry razor, put away. If I didn't change razors I use I don't know if I'd take out the blade.

Yeah, I'll apply some mineral oil to my razors that have mechanical movements periodically. I couldn't say how often exactly.

Remove blade, attach to magnet, dry razor, put away. If I didn't change razors I use I don't know if I'd take out the blade.
I generally have not taken out the blades between use, as I use the same DE for the most part.
Now that I'm using straights with more regularity, the blade remains loaded longer and for the most part necessitates me periodically removing the blade for thorough dry-out.

Have you tried the Bic Chrome Platinum blade? They are a very sharp option that do not have any wax on them. At all.

I think you may enjoy them if you like using a Feather.

I find that the Bics are just a shade less sharp than a Feather on the first shave, then actually get slightly sharper on subsequent use.

YMMV, as always.

1. I have Astra and Feather blades and they both come with a bit of sticky residue. What's the best way to clean this off from the head of my razor? In case it matters, I use a Parker 24C and am hoping to upgrade to something similar but in steel.
  2. How and how often do you sanitize your razor?

For me, I clean my razor about every week, which is also how often I change my blades. I drop the head into a small bowl with dish soap, pour in boiling water, and let it sit until cool. Then I scrub off the sticky residue with a toothbrush. I noticed that if I go too long without cleaning, the residue gets nearly impossible to clean off with this method. I clean the handle with a firm wipe with a towel.
Have you considered doing a good hot rinse after each shave. That should remove most of that residue and preclude your weekly cleaning regiment.

Have you tried the Bic Chrome Platinum blade? They are a very sharp option that do not have any wax on them. At all.

I think you may enjoy them if you like using a Feather.

I find that the Bics are just a shade less sharp than a Feather on the first shave, then actually get slightly sharper on subsequent use.

YMMV, as always.
I haven't. I went all in on the Astra blades and have about 15 years worth of them. Many years ago I tried a sampler pack and didn't notice an appreciable difference to pay more than what Astra's cost.

Have you considered doing a good hot rinse after each shave. That should remove most of that residue and preclude your weekly cleaning regiment.

Definitely, and it works great for soap scum. Not so much for the wax on the top/base plates from the blades though.

My memory of wax dots is that shaving with hot enough water solves the problem, they just melt away.

And to be honest, getting swished around in hot, soapy water every couple days IS how I clean my razor :)

I leave the blade in the razor. When I’ve finished my shave I loosen the head a 1/2 turn then rinse with warm water. I don’t worry about the wax dots. I will wipe the razor down with a glass cleaning cloth every week, or two.

Last edited:
Top Bottom