What's new

February 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in - DFS

UK Gen1 Aristocrat, Perma-Sharp Stainless (5&retired), Palmolive Stick, SOC 2Band, La Toja Splash

38D9F41F-4CA5-4028-A512-69460D2A182A.jpeg

3E63241E-EBDD-4DFC-A4FE-E3DA2E292BDE.jpeg

I am really surprised how these Feather blades are holding up. I stropped both blades about 20 laps on my biceps.
I never tried going that high up! (…and my injured right shoulder would not have liked it most of the past year!)
I use the forearm, palm up, starting a couple inches below the elbow, ending a couple inches above the hand. Of course there is the psychological aversion to dragging a razor blade over the wrist…. Might be even scarier with a straight razor!

Last edited:
Still in

3 days of growth

February GRUME : 11
2023 GRUYERE : 28

Razor : Baili BR179
Blade : Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless (0)
Pre Shave : Shave Secret oil got it gotta use it
Soap (SOTM) : Gillette Pure Cream
Brush : Simpson Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: OSMA Alum Block, Proraso white AS balm, Dove Men+Care moisturizer

It was a long debate to see if I would use the Gillette Platinum blade again, change the razor/blade combo altogether or stick to the plan and try another blade with the baili. In the end I decided to stick to my plan and suck it up if a poor week of shave would ensure. all of that 5 minutes before the shave.

No on for the shave, slow Sunday morning, 30 minutes swim , 10 minutes Sauna. Would have enjoyed staying more but could not stand the 2 dummies that were in there anymore. One of them has a really busy life and was on the phone loudly talking for the entire time, the other one could not stand the mild heat and was in and out of the place every 2 minutes or so letting plenty of cold air in at the same time. Took a shower applied some Dove Men+Care moisturizer to help the skin a bit. Took a pancake platter at the local Whataburger and came back home for the shave.

The first pass was not too bad, fairly smooth save for a user error on the adam apple and a good nick.

The 2 next pass were not too bad either but yielded a few more nicks.

Post shave shows a bit too much irritation on the chin and apple adam area, the area I struggle with today, go figure it out.

Over all this is not as bad as last week with the Bic so far but far far from being great. Next shave in 2 days (all for the love of science of course).

W8.jpg

Now for the fun part of the week. Stopped by the Japanese used to be dollar store yesterday here in town, and bought a pack of those for $1.75 plus tax. Beats a scissor hands down for both the nostril and ears

IMG-0808.jpg

Still in 🙏🏽

Effortless, not a bit of craving to purchase.
Slowly getting my confidence and usual nick free BBS back again.
This Fatip is a miracle. Combining smoothness and efficiency like none of my other razors.
I could even shave the crust of the huge nick I got last week.
Gotta love this FOCS. Love the kitsch gold look too 😀

A83B954F-B961-4E49-9644-7281D3D9C7C8.jpeg

19/2/23 - still in

Pre - Palmolive
Soap - MWF/Kent
Brush - Omega/GFS 'The Hog'/10019
Razor - Yaqi DOC/Lemonwald handle
Blade - Lord Silver Star (4)
Post - Lea Balm
AS - Benjamin's Bay Rum w/Pimento

View attachment 1608633
Interesting you are using a Lemonwald handle here. I read on internet that their threading is 4.3mm-4.5mm - but apparently that information is incorrect and it's 'regular' M5?

Nice combination!

Enjoy,

Guido.

I never tried going that high up! (…and my injured right shoulder would not have liked it most of the past year!)
I use the forearm, palm up, starting a couple inches below the elbow, ending a couple inches above the hand. Of course there is the psychological aversion to dragging a razor blade over the wrist…. Might be even scarier with a straight razor!
Tomorrow I'll try the forearm. The arm offers a lot more stropping area than the palm.

I have a GC 1.0 waiting for you, my friend.
Brand new, packaged and all.
So don't worry you'll fish behind the net on that one.

View attachment 1608700
Jack - DUDE awesome and how could I forget!! Even when recouping from Covid you still keep a more clear head than I do apparently.

Did you just hear that sound? Pfffzzz.....RAD just went out the window!

Something to look forward to when GRUYERE is completed :001_wub:

Cheers,

Guido.

Interesting you are using a Lemonwald handle here. I read on internet that their threading is 4.3mm-4.5mm - but apparently that information is incorrect and it's 'regular' M5?

Nice combination!

Enjoy,

Guido.

I completely forgot about that! It was supposed to be a 4.5mm handle, but it works nonetheless for the Yaqi DOC which I presume is M5? The thread felt a bit tight when I screwed it on, so maybe it might be a good idea to use the Yaqi handle for my the Yaqi razor head!

Cheers for that!

20230219_170529.jpg

2023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
February 2023 GRUME #37 - Still in

Date: 02.19.23
Days growth: 4

Head shaver

Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: Personna Med Prep (5)
Brush: Ever Ready 100 (Erskine??)

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Nablus soap on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Nablus soap - face lathered

Passes: 2.5 (9/3/3)

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - 4711 edt splash
6 - Balm: Kirkland organic extra virgin olive oil (about 15 drops for entire head and face)

Time from shower on to dressed and ready: 1hr 7min

NOTES: On the tail end of a cold so wanted something easy going and mild for four days of growth. Didn't shave until 5pm. I've not used that particular brush and not sure if it's Erskine or nylon. It's pretty stiff. I like the Nablus soap, very slick though not much cushion, about the consistency of Arko. Wanted to try olive oil as a post shave balm, I've heard of some people using it as a moisturizer. I like it pretty well but we'll see. I love the 4711, clean and mild. I never tried the Fatboy on 9 and figured with 4 days I'd give it a shot, very aggressive and efficient with the med prep even on its fifth shave. Mild to medium feedback from the alum. Light feedback from the 4711.
Comfort: 9.0/10
Quality: 9.0/10
Overall: 9.0

Date20.02.2023
365 days of shaving51/365 (100%)
GRUYERE51/365 (100%)
GRUME February20/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes3
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N
Neck: S-N (slanted)

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle R41 Swing
on Lasta Red Handle
Tiger Platinum (7)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Dutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS++)7.5/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Prior to my regular shave I did my first ever head shave. Don’t get too excited - I used my Remmington for the usual timing, but then decided to follow through with my Philishave (sitting idle since DE shaving). Just to know what it would look and feel like. More chilly than usual, but I am digging the look actually. There is stubble left and that’s ok for me. I don’t think DE head shaving will be anytime soon - my skin is uneven (has laser surgery in the past too) so I fear nicks and cuts.

I did the first pass with the R41 and the Swing for the subsequent passes. I used the same blade. The first pass was rough and tug mainly because the angle of the blade changes in the R41 compared to the Swing. Because as soon as I put the blade back in the Swing for the second and third passes the blade felt smooth again. One edge was harsher, but overall noticeably smoother.

The end result was a near BBS. Very nice!

More details can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom