What's new

Ordered an Unbleached Zenith Boar

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Those Zenith handles designed to look like semi precious stones @Mr. Shavington posted a few weeks ago are beautiful. I might order the Amethyst one and the Green Jade one with Manchurian badger knots, that is if Zenith releases them in 28mm.

Those Zenith handles designed to look like semi precious stones @Mr. Shavington posted a few weeks ago are beautiful. I might order the Amethyst one and the Green Jade one with Manchurian badger knots, that is if Zenith releases them in 28mm.
These? They’re beautiful and they feel high quality. Not your typical artisan swirly, glittery acrylic pours.

1844106B-DD59-4371-8EA0-5930842D6EA0.jpeg

3F4AFADA-6E39-4C67-B55F-F721FE184D0B.jpeg

45F221A0-94A2-4317-B0B1-BEC46C04CC8F.jpeg

7EE11899-A351-481C-ACD5-92480DEA11F2.jpeg

D3F3B8B9-99CF-42F3-9407-39E4E5734CDA.jpeg

18646573-F2E4-40A8-B2D0-A9B1D4ACEB78.jpeg

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
These? They’re beautiful and they feel high quality. Not your typical artisan swirly, glittery acrylic pours.

View attachment 1608689

View attachment 1608690

View attachment 1608691

View attachment 1608692

View attachment 1608693

View attachment 1608701
The first two are my choices.. esp. if Zenith offers them with 28 or 31mm Manchurian badger knots.

Edit: I just sent an email to TheGentleShave on the US eBay site. He usually gets back to me quickly.

Last edited:
The first two are my choices.. esp. if Zenith offers them with 28 or 31mm Manchurian badger knots.

Edit: I just sent an email to TheGentleShave on the US eBay site. He usually gets back to me quickly.

I'm right in line with you, @Phoenixkh, I'd buy a manchurian version of those amazing 502 handles - I'd even get coffee delivered to TheGentleShave to snag one in a larger 28mm or 30mm size. Thanks for emailing him about it!! I'll be super interested to hear how he responds.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite handle out of that group, they are all fantastic. You've got some great Zeniths there @Mr. Shavington, I had no idea those styles even existed. Thanks for posting those!!!

I'm right in line with you, @Phoenixkh, I'd buy a manchurian version of those amazing 502 handles - I'd even get coffee delivered to TheGentleShave to snag one in a larger 28mm or 30mm. Thanks for emailing him about it!! I'll be super interested to hear how he responds.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite handle out of that group, they are all fantastic. You've got some great Zeniths there @Mr. Shavington, I had no idea those styles even existed. Thanks for posting those!!!
They’re wonderful - and each of those brushes was between $40 and $80. I agree the first two are the most like the semi-precious stones, and are my favourites too. The jade green is my perfect shade of green and it makes me feel calm and happy. A couple of the last ones are emulating Murano glassware from Venice.

Finding these began as a quest for a boar with a nice handle, but Zenith also offers the same handles with all their other knots, so you see badger and horse in there, as well as a pair of badger/horse mixed knots. You just have to find somewhere with a good stock of Zeniths, which isn’t everywhere, or ask a stockist to order what you want. There are more Zenith vendors in Europe.

I don't plan to buy many more brushes. I find myself only using a select few most of the time now…

Given your experience with a wide range of brushes, I’m curious what those “select few” are for your preference for face lathering.

I’m also curious if you’ve narrowed down your soap & razor preference to a “select few.” As a new DE shaver, I’m looking for the best combination for my face, keeping in mind that like food & drink, everyone’s taste/preference may be different.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Given your experience with a wide range of brushes, I’m curious what those “select few” are for your preference for face lathering.

I’m also curious if you’ve narrowed down your soap & razor preference to a “select few.” As a new DE shaver, I’m looking for the best combination for my face, keeping in mind that like food & drink, everyone’s taste/preference may be different.

Probably the best and most comprehensive answer would be this. Go to my Damn Comfortable Shave thread, look backwards from the current post, and see what I use the most.

In terms of brushes you'll find me using SV 2.0 and LE brushes as well as Mozingo knots. I also like lots of boars, the Misturas, Zenith and Rudy Vey Manchurians, and various other brushes, but am not using them much.

In razors I'm using the Athena a lot. Also, the ATT X1, and my WR2 1.15, and my Sailor. I'd guess they've been used more than others in recent months.

I also like the FOCS and the Schick E-2, as well as a good many other razors, but the Athena would be very hard to beat.

I'm a very big fan of Canada Shaving Soap, but also like CK-6, in its unscented version. Mike's Shaving Soap is a new favorite. Vitos Red Coconut is an old favorite. I like the SV 4.3 base in Felce and Flying Mango.

Hope that helps some.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Flask, thanks for your elaborate reply. They sound even more tempting now.

The problem is though, that alot of these things arent overly expensive. But after buying more than 2 dozen affordable razors, a truckload of do-ably prices soap, a modest collection of brushes, some honing stones, strops, pastes and aftershaves I have already spent a fortune.
I'm beginning to question where this is leading me? Am I still just in an orientational/experimental fase or am I really an empty materialistic vessel?

Will this brush be the proverbial drop that pushes me over the edge of being an enthousiast and make me a hoarder?

To be on the safe side I'll list it on my birthday wishlist. If anyone Buys it for me, I figure I'm not to blame. 🤔
instead of a "hoarder" I think if you go with a couple of these brushes it will make you a "BOARder"...hahaha, see what I did there? I'm here all week...But seriously I have 3 Zenith Boars and they are terrific brushes.

View attachment 1614598

Terrific brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Wow, your photos are so good :)

That brush looks much more broken in with almost three months of cycles than the OP pair that have about 8 cycles on them now:

1677801298663.png

That being said these are breaking in much faster than the Omega Jade did. MUCH faster. And the boar scent is gone now, the two lathers with MWF killed that off with prejudice.

Of course, @Tanuki just washed his twice and had at it I think! :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1677802930068.png

I just received my latest order from Your Shaving. A couple of unbleached beauties in this order!
View attachment 1614760 View attachment 1614761

Wow!

You certainly saved on shipping costs combining a few orders.

Question: In the photo on the right, copied and pasted above, it looks to me that there are three identical triplets and a fraternal inclusion. What are your plans with them?

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1614770

Wow!

You certainly saved on shipping costs combining a few orders.

Question: In the photo on the right, copied and pasted above, it looks to me that there are three identical triplets and a fraternal inclusion. What are your plans with them?

Happy shaves,

Jim
You are correct, there are 4 of the same brush there. I ordered 3 & Your Shaving included a fourth free of charge! I like to have a brush to include in periodic pifs, & I think that particular Zenith is an outstanding brush at an outstanding price. I plan on using one of the white-handled brushes to mine the knot & put in a rosewood handle that was recently given to me.

WOW!! Congratulations!!! That's a metric ton of boar! Fantastic choices, it's cool to see the knots all side by side like that. Welcome to the Zenith butterscotch unbleached boar club lol.

Looks like the next Boar Brush Passaround is going to have some cool new options in it :)
I like that, a metric ton of boar!!!!! And yes, when the next Boar Brush Passaround happens it will probably have some different brushes in it.

Top Bottom