What's new

Which razor is the best to test your technique? The Tech?

Hey so I shaved my head with the thin handle tech, BBS, comfortable quick shave with no drama or faffing around

So get me wondering what's the best razor to test out your technique?

The tech come to mind for me personally and obviously YMMV but I think I agree that if you can't get a good shave out of a tech then it's more of a technique issue, what do you guys reckon?

Any mild razor will be a good test of technique, as there's very little blade on show and finding the correct shave angle is crucial.

The thin handle flat bottomed Tech is a good choice, as is any Tech with a sharp blade really.

That's really subjective. If a person is mainly using a Tech like 90% of the time for many years, it would be logical if he can shave much better, closer and faster compared to someone who's rarely using one or just tried one.

I hear the same thing from people saying things like: oh look at that guy, he's soo good at doing this or that. Well, of course he's good at doing it, that's what he's been doing most of his life. What a shocking and unexpected surprise!

About Tech's, I find them way too efficient for my taste, since I don't have to shave everyday most of the time and I prefer using something more efficient. Can I get good results with them? Absolutely, but it takes a bit more time and I don't find them overall enjoyable, but if I'm stuck with only a Tech for the rest of my life, I think at some point I will get much better and the same goes for pretty much everyone.

I would really like to see those who claim that are very skilled with a Tech to try shaving a 4 + days worth of growth with the same amount of passes and strokes as well as overall time like they do when they shave every day. Now that's what I call a true technique. The rest is just using what you have for a long time everyday and you get used to it, but that doesn't mean that such individual can achieve the same results with absolutely every razor regardless of how mild or aggressive it is. It's just that he has mastered one or a couple of razors by using them again and again over for a long period of time and I think pretty much everyone to some degree is doing that with the razor/razors he owns.

I really don't know from where folks come up with these things thinking that since they are using only very mild or aggressive razors over and over for many years and have mastered them that their technique is universal and can be applied to every razor. For me, that's nonsense, because more or less every razor requires a bit of time to master depending on a lot of factors, but I won't argue with anyone who thinks otherwise, because I've already been in such debates with folks who look down on everyone thinking that they have some supernatural powers or something.

The best? You mean ever in the history of all razors?

I wouldn’t have a clue but I suspect the Karve Overlander is a good razor to refine your technique on without hurting yourself. It’s very gentle and forgiving, and I don’t think it bites like a Tech can, but it still rewards the right angle and good technique.

Based only on my experience: I got the R41. I was careful with it and it gave me great shaves. For some reason after that my shaves with other razors were improved. Did I learn a lot from the R41, or did I just get better at the time I got the R41 and it's just a coincidence? I don't know, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's the former.

That's really subjective. If a person is mainly using a Tech like 90% of the time for many years, it would be logical if he can shave much better, closer and faster compared to someone who's rarely using one or just tried one.

I hear the same thing from people saying things like: oh look at that guy, he's soo good at doing this or that. Well, of course he's good at doing it, that's what he's been doing most of his life. What a shocking and unexpected surprise!

About Tech's, I find them way too efficient for my taste, since I don't have to shave everyday most of the time and I prefer using something more efficient. Can I get good results with them? Absolutely, but it takes a bit more time and I don't find them overall enjoyable, but if I'm stuck with only a Tech for the rest of my life, I think at some point I will get much better and the same goes for pretty much everyone.

I would really like to see those who claim that are very skilled with a Tech to try shaving a 4 + days worth of growth with the same amount of passes and strokes as well as overall time like they do when they shave every day. Now that's what I call a true technique. The rest is just using what you have for a long time everyday and you get used to it, but that doesn't mean that such individual can achieve the same results with absolutely every razor regardless of how mild or aggressive it is. It's just that he has mastered one or a couple of razors by using them again and again over for a long period of time and I think pretty much everyone to some degree is doing that with the razor/razors he owns.

I really don't know from where folks come up with these things thinking that since they are using only very mild or aggressive razors over and over for many years and have mastered them that their technique is universal and can be applied to every razor. For me, that's nonsense, because more or less every razor requires a bit of time to master depending on a lot of factors, but I won't argue with anyone who thinks otherwise, because I've already been in such debates with folks who look down on everyone thinking that they have some supernatural powers or something.

Did you mean "About Techs, I find them way too inefficient for my taste..."?

So far, the only razor I haven't fully figured out is the Muramasa. I have been able to get a good shave with minimal to no irritation from every other razor I've tried. Not saying the Muramasa is a bad razor, in fact it's a great razor, but it has tested my technique. I will master it one of these days.

What blade did you use on your tech?

I started with mildish DEs, got a Fatip and mastered it. Loved it. Got unconsciously competent with it. Got a Gem 1912 and dialed it in. Started using straights. Got the dialed in and figured out what kinds I preferred. Used straights exclusively for years. Bought an ‘11 R41 to see what it was about. It wasn’t faster than a straight and required as much attention as a straight, and that wasn’t what I was looking for in a DE so I sold it on. Picked up a Gem MMOC a few years back and it’s really aggressive too. It exfoliates very efficiently. And takes off whiskers. A couple years ago I found my uncles’s New LC. It works well. Bought a tech to see what they’re about. With a feather or sharp blade it’s a dead simple BBS and comfortable after I got the angle right.

So my perspective is, learning and mastering the basics and comfortable use of an aggressive/efficient razor does improve skill sets with any razor, once you figure out that razor (and blade combo’s) idiosyncrasies to achieve what you value from it, and at what cost in effort you’ll put forth.

Any mild razor will be a good test of technique, as there's very little blade on show and finding the correct shave angle is crucial.

The thin handle flat bottomed Tech is a good choice, as is any Tech with a sharp blade really.
Even the schick krona comes to mind too

It would depend which element of your technique you wanted to test, I would think. Maybe the Tech for angle, but something like the R41 for keeping pressure to a minimum.
R41 is a very good example of a medium to aggressive razor to test technique too

I personally find the r41 to be one of the most comfortable razors YMMV

You make good points, of course if someone uses the same razor all the time they'll get their technique down to the T

I personally think the tech is a good base razor for testing gear due to the aggression, availability, cost etc

Btw I don't show the tech as much love as I should but I do get why some people see it as the base to test other razors, blades etc with

Of course anyone can go with whatever razor they see fit as it's down to personal preference YMMV

The best? You mean ever in the history of all razors?

I wouldn’t have a clue but I suspect the Karve Overlander is a good razor to refine your technique on without hurting yourself. It’s very gentle and forgiving, and I don’t think it bites like a Tech can, but it still rewards the right angle and good technique.
Nah not saying it's the best ever,
But was wondering which razor you lot think is the best to test out your technique

Based only on my experience: I got the R41. I was careful with it and it gave me great shaves. For some reason after that my shaves with other razors were improved. Did I learn a lot from the R41, or did I just get better at the time I got the R41 and it's just a coincidence? I don't know, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's the former.
To me that makes sense as the more aggressive the more you're on your toes and concentrating then when you go down a level it feels more comfortable and relaxed? Well that's what I'm thinking lol

You know it makes me think as well, I don't know why newbies arent adviced to go for an adjustable razor instead of a de89 for example, as at least with an adjustable they can mess around with it to find something that's a comfortable setting for them and the SNIRM adjustable I got for just over a tenner is a brilliant razor which comes to mind

You make good points, of course if someone uses the same razor all the time they'll get their technique down to the T

I personally think the tech is a good base razor for testing gear due to the aggression, availability, cost etc

Btw I don't show the tech as much love as I should but I do get why some people see it as the base to test other razors, blades etc with

Of course anyone can go with whatever razor they see fit as it's down to personal preference YMMV

Absolutely! I started shaving with an early 70's Tech back in yearly 2016 and it was great for learning how to shave on daily bases, but the way I shaved back then is obviously much different than now, since back then I just wanted to get a decent shave and that's it and I was only shaving WTG. Now I want nothing more than the closest shave possible and to do that I have to do multiple passes including ATG and ATG.

Despite all of that, I still recommend Techs for people who are new to wetshaving, simply because it's very hard to cut yourself with them and also because they are very inexpensive and I see nothing wrong if people with more experience are enjoying them or like you've said, for testing new stuff like soaps/creams, blades etc.

What makes me cringe is the notion that some folks are spreading that the very mild and not super efficient razors can be just as good as every other razor and while on paper that might be true to some degree, the variables that determine how good a shave is are countless and they also vary from person to person and that's like saying my way of doing things or my game is better than yours.

Reactions: saj
To keep things brief:

The ultimate test of technique is a razor with positive blade exposure and generous blade gap, as it punishes mistakes immediately.

Blade exposure and blade gap do not have to be more, however, than needed to give you the closeness that you desire.

B.

Reactions: saj
Top Bottom