What's new

Which steel razor should I purchase?

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

At the start, I was pretty set against the GC because of the blade gap, but despite that sentiment in the OP, there were still so many recommendations for it. I'm tempted to buy both the GC and BBS and give 'em a try.

That's the best way to find out.

Within a month or so of starting TWS, I purchased three Game Changers: 68P, 68OC, 84P. I bought three complete razors, not just the plates.

After using them all, I found that the 84P was more than I needed and sold it. I still have the other two

I've said this in other threads, but if I were doing it all over again and knowing what I know now, I might have gone with the RR "Lupo .72". The .95 is, psychologically too big a gap for me.

The "Lupo" is an attractive razor and it gets high praise from lots of B&B members.

As it stands, the "Lupo .72" is redundant considering I have both the GC 68-P and the GC 84-P. And, the "Lupo .95" is just too intimidating. Besides, I doubt I'd get any better shave. I'm satisfied with what I have.

b/r

ON_1

I've said this in other threads, but if I were doing it all over again and knowing what I know now, I might have gone with the RR "Lupo .72". The .95 is, psychologically too big a gap for me.

The "Lupo" is an attractive razor and it gets high praise from lots of B&B members.

As it stands, the "Lupo .72" is redundant considering I have both the GC 68-P and the GC 84-P. And, the "Lupo .95" is just too intimidating. Besides, I doubt I'd get any better shave. I'm satisfied with what I have.

b/r

ON_1
I’ll get flamed for this but to me the gamechangers are a better shave than the lupos. You should have no fomo with what you have.

lasta

Blade Biter
I’ll get flamed for this but to me the gamechangers are a better shave than the lupos. You should have no fomo with what you have.
I think shave quality is comparable, but Game Changers look better!

But pay no attention. I rather shave with a rough shiny shiny than a smooth gliding tumbled/bead blasted razor.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The .95 OC Lupo included? Wolfman recently brought the Guerilla back, I am quite with you that the differences between Lupo and GC are not major. The OC/JAWS is arguably even more thorough than the Lupo .95 OC, but more difficult to use well. I couldn't decided, and went with the 1.05 Yaqi Lupo DC clone...^^

The .95 OC Lupo included? Wolfman recently brought the Guerilla back, I am quite with you that the differences between Lupo and GC are not major. The OC/JAWS is arguably even more thorough than the Lupo .95 OC, but more difficult to use well. I couldn't decided, and went with the 1.05 Yaqi Lupo DC clone...^^
I only had the .72 and .95. I just found the Gamechangers to be a smoother shave for me. So I sold the Lupos. As always ymmv.

lasta

Blade Biter
+ patience
Yes, patience = shiny shiny!
Screenshot_20230218_031410_Firefox.jpg
20230218_031134.jpg

Goal: buy a razor that's as close to the Parker 24C as possible but made completely from steel. I think I like milder shaves.

I'm pretty sure that all Gillette Techs made just before and after WWII were stainless steel, and I've found both to give a nice, mild-to-moderate shave. Could say the same of a 1950s-era Super Speed Blue Tip. Can't go wrong with a classic.

-Z

Goal: buy a razor that's as close to the Parker 24C as possible but made completely from steel. I think I like milder shaves.

After some fantastic help from people on the internet, I'm mainly considering the Razorock BBS and Rockwell 6S, with the BBS being the current favorite. I like the BBS because it looks just like the Parker 24C and has a minimal blade gap. The Rockwell 6S has 6 adjustable settings, but realistically I'll only use the mildest two, if that. The mildest setting has a blade gap of 0.2mm. I've considered others like the Game Changer, but I just don't think I'll like such a large blade gap.

Before I pull the trigger, do you have any info that'll sway me one way or another? Are there other razors I should consider?
Since your goal is to buy a steel razor close to Parker 24C.
Observation: Parker 24C is not a mild razor !!
It is an efficient and fairly aggressive razor.
This is good news you have a wide wariety of razor options which fits to this aggression area.
You can consider Razorock Lupo.72 and even a Lupo.95 which you can use without any issue.
You can pick Rockwell 6S (and considering your daily driver parker24C's aggression) you'll enjoy it's plate 6#.
You can consider Game Changer .84 SB or even Game Changer .84 Jaws. (I owned both they are very close).
You can consider Mühle Rocca or EJ3ONE6 both are very close.
You can consider Karve CB Plate "D".

Last edited:
Since your goal is to buy a steel razor close to Parker 24C.
Observation: Parker 24C is not a mild razor !!
It is an efficient and fairly aggressive razor.
This is good news you have a wide wariety of razor options which fits to this aggression area.
You can consider Razorock Lupo.72 and even a Lupo.95 which you can use without any issue.
You can pick Rockwell 6S (and considering your daily driver parker24C's aggression) you'll enjoy it's plate 6#.
You can consider Game Changer .84 SB or even Game Changer .84 Jaws. (I owned both they are very close).
You can consider Mühle Rocca or EJ3ONE6 both are very close.
You can consider Karve CB Plate "D".
I emailed RazoRock too and they categorized the Parker 24C as medium-aggressive, which shocked me.

I own two DE safety razors:

1) Parker 24C which to me sports nearly no blade gap but I'm not 100% sure
2) Parker 24C handle with a random Maggard closed/straight bar head that has about a ~0.8mm blade gap and a slightly steeper blade angle

I hate using the second one and think it's way too aggressive, which is why I'm so fixated on blade gaps and *think* I like mild razors. RazoRock recommended the BBS and GC too, so maybe they've seen this thread or I've done my research correctly!

By the way, does anyone know if RazoRock heads fit with Parker 24C handles?

Most modern razors use either the metric M5x.8 threading or the inches equivalent #10-32, which are interchangeable. The Fatip razors use M4.5 size threading.

A simple field test is to take a bolt of each size and mate their threading together and tug gently. They should fit together snugly with no play for them to be compatible. I have a Parker handle (M5) on a Karve head (#10). In your case, the Razorocks use M5 so it is compatible with your Parker handle.

I believe the Parker handles are plated brass so someone OCD about dissimilar threaded metal connections on razors may have unpredictable psychological reactions :)

Last edited:
I don't know about those other razors. I've never owned or used them.

I do own and use both the RazoRock Game Changer 68-P and the GC 84-P.

RAZOROCK GC 0.68-P - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/razorock-gc-0-68-p.634637/

Frankly, both of these razors have given me the best shaves of my life. I used the GC 68-P this a.m. and was once again rewarded with a DFS ++!

I'm 68 years old with a very course (think wire brush), white beard and sensitive skin. I prefer mild razors.

Razorock Game Changers are made from CNC machined, Marine, Surgical and Aerospace grade 316L stainless steel. It will literally last your lifetime. Machining is second to none. The best part, they are 'affordable'.

Consider, there are razors out there costing 5-8 times more, some made from what I consider inferior materials. IMO, if you have to Chrome Plate the stainless steel, it's not very good s.s.

I hope I didn't add to your confusion?

b/r

ON_1
Your experience (and age) mirrors mine. I love my Razorock GC. And maybe one of the best bargains in shaving.

I emailed RazoRock too and they categorized the Parker 24C as medium-aggressive, which shocked me.

I own two DE safety razors:

1) Parker 24C which to me sports nearly no blade gap but I'm not 100% sure
2) Parker 24C handle with a random Maggard closed/straight bar head that has about a ~0.8mm blade gap and a slightly steeper blade angle

I hate using the second one and think it's way too aggressive, which is why I'm so fixated on blade gaps and *think* I like mild razors. RazoRock recommended the BBS and GC too, so maybe they've seen this thread or I've done my research correctly!

Razorock Heads are M5 and they fit to Parker 24C handle.

But there is a big "BUT" here, Razorock handles are great stainles steel handles. And you pay less to the handle, if you buy a whole RR razor with handle. I highly advise to buy "with" handle.

Now lets look below proofings; RR Lupo .72 with handle is USD69,99

1676707649702.png

RR lupo.72 top cap only 26,99 + RR Lupo base plate 37,99 = USD64,98
1676707747824.png
1676707784617.png

RR BBS has a very narrow angle you have to find. And if you don't your shave will not be pleasent and efficient.
I advise you to get a Lupo.72 (a full razor including handle that you'll like)

Top Bottom