What's new

Questions about Parker 24C blade gap + its steel version

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'm looking to upgrade my Parker 24C into something as similar as possible but made of (stainless) steel.

I want to try to match the blade gap of the Parker 24C, which I think is zero. Can anyone help me confirm this? On mine, it looks like the blade rests right against the comb, which is why I think the blade gap is zero.

I've received some great recommendations from Reddit on what to purchase: the Razorock Game Changer 0.68 Open Comb (and I'm also intrigued by their Old Type, Mamba, and BBS), Rockwell 6S, Gillette Old Type (but it's brass).

If my goal is to buy something as close to the Parker 24C as possible but in steel, which would you recommend? I think for me it just boils down to how close to the Parker 24C it is, which I suppose depends on blade gap, blade angle, exposure, and weight? I've actually never, ever thought so much about a DE safety razor before, so any and all guidance will be very appreciated!

Welcome to B&B.
If my goal is to buy something as close to the Parker 24C as possible but in steel, which would you recommend? I think for me it just boils down to how close to the Parker 24C it is, which I suppose depends on blade gap, blade angle, exposure, and weight? I've actually never, ever thought so much about a DE safety razor before, so any and all guidance will be very appreciated!
The Fatip is of similar design to the Parker 24C but it is a brass razor. I don't know of an equivalent razor maufactured in stainless steel but someone will come along with suggestions. It would be useful to know if you had a budget in mind.
There are other options with a different combination of blade gap and blade exposure for you to consider and adjustable options too.
The Razorock Game Changer is made of stainless steel and you have the option of .68 and .84 blade gap in the open comb format.

Welcome to B&B.

The Fatip is of similar design to the Parker 24C but it is a brass razor. I don't know of an equivalent razor maufactured in stainless steel but someone will come along with suggestions. It would be useful to know if you had a budget in mind.
There are other options with a different combination of blade gap and blade exposure for you to consider and adjustable options too.
The Razorock Game Changer is made of stainless steel and you have the option of .68 and .84 blade gap in the open comb format.
Budget would be ~$100 or less, and I'm not compelled to spend right up to the limit. I can go a bit over if it's worth it.

I'm interested in the Razorock Game Changer .68 but think it has a much larger blade gap than the Parker 24C that I'm used to.

Can someone please take a picture of their Game Changer .68 with a blade inserted so that I can see the blade gap?

Last edited:
I have the Parker 24C and love it. With the right blade, it can mow down several days of beard growth without being too aggressive. However, it works best shaving "off the cap" with a shallow blade angle. I had a Karve Christopher Bradley brass razor with the D Plate solid bar. I purchased the C-plate open comb razor in stainless steel. Unfortunately, I did not like the design of the open comb teeth. Thus, I purchased a stainless steel C-plate solid bar base plate to replace the open comb and quite enjoy the razor.

Although there are many other open comb razors, I have not found one that I like better than the Parker 24C. I believe it is chrome plated brass, which is a good construction. I have had mine for several years.

I have the Parker 24C and love it. With the right blade, it can mow down several days of beard growth without being too aggressive. However, it works best shaving "off the cap" with a shallow blade angle. I had a Karve Christopher Bradley brass razor with the D Plate solid bar. I purchased the C-plate open comb razor in stainless steel. Unfortunately, I did not like the design of the open comb teeth. Thus, I purchased a stainless steel C-plate solid bar base plate to replace the open comb and quite enjoy the razor.

Although there are many other open comb razors, I have not found one that I like better than the Parker 24C. I believe it is chrome plated brass, which is a good construction. I have had mine for several years.
I totally agree. I really like my Parker 24C. However, I damaged the chrome and am looking for something sturdier in steel.

I dropped the razor once and it chipped. I also have some bubbling in the head, also my fault because of my rough cleaning technique (dish soap + boiling water).

Can someone please take a picture of their Game Changer .68 with a blade inserted so that I can see the blade gap?

I don't have a Parker 24C so I can't compare, but the Game Changer .68OC is an excellent razor. I also have the .68P and .84P. Here are a couple of pictures of the .68OC.

20230215_091725.jpg

20230215_091700.jpg

I don't have a Parker 24C so I can't compare, but the Game Changer .68OC is an excellent razor. I also have the .68P and .84P. Here are a couple of pictures of the .68OC.

View attachment 1606474

View attachment 1606475
Thank you SO much! That second picture is super helpful! If that's 0.68mm, then I'm pretty sure my Parker 24C's blade gap is <0.1mm and probably 0.05mm or less. I tried to get a picture for the forum but my iPhone just can't capture the detail.

I have another no name head I attached to my Parker 24c with a similar blade gap as yours, but I noticed the angle of the safety plate leading up to the blade is steeper. I always thought this one was too aggressive, which is why I wanted something with essentially no blade gap, I think.

Any good steel recommendations with 0 blade gap?

Keep in mind blade gap is only part of the shaving equation. I wouldn't get too caught up in blade gap as I believe you'll find that even though the gaps may be similar between razors, the end results and shave experience can be completely different. Blade gap, exposure, bend, razor weight, design all play a role in the performance of a razor.

There are lots of mile razors out there that should work for you, but you are going to limit yourself if you only look at blade gap.

I totally agree. I really like my Parker 24C. However, I damaged the chrome and am looking for something sturdier in steel.

I dropped the razor once and it chipped. I also have some bubbling in the head, also my fault because of my rough cleaning technique (dish soap + boiling water).

If you are talking about using dishwasher detergent rather than dish soap, no wonder the head was damaged. That is really nasty stuff, especially when accompanied by boiling water. Although a 316 SS razor might withstand that treatment, I would not even suggest it for 304 SS as it is not as corrosion resistant.

If by dish soap you mean something like Dawn, then it is perfectly acceptable for cleaning razors, but I would recommend limiting the temperature to normal hot tap water which is something like 125 F.

If you are talking about using dishwasher detergent rather than dish soap, no wonder the head was damaged. That is really nasty stuff, especially when accompanied by boiling water. Although a 316 SS razor might withstand that treatment, I would not even suggest it for 304 SS as it is not as corrosion resistant.

If by dish soap you mean something like Dawn, then it is perfectly acceptable for cleaning razors, but I would recommend limiting the temperature to normal hot tap water which is something like 125 F.
Sorry, I totally missed this!

I'm using regular dish soap, however, I like boiling water for the sterilizing effect. I'm sure it's overkill, but it brings me peace of mind.

Sorry, I totally missed this!

I'm using regular dish soap, however, I like boiling water for the sterilizing effect. I'm sure it's overkill, but it brings me peace of mind.

Many people who purchase used razors will clean them with scrubbing bubbles or perhaps Lysol spray that kills 99.9% of bacteria. If you are cleaning your own razors, there is no need to sterilize them. However, if you want to do so, I suggest preparing a solution of Barbicide. This product is certified for use as a disinfectant in barbershops, salons and spas to disinfect scissors, combs, razors, etc. between customers. If you are the only one using the tools, such precautions are likely to be unnecessary, but if it makes you feel better. it will be less detrimental to your razors than boiling water. Even simpler than Barbicide is a quick dip in isopropyl alcohol.

Top Bottom