What's new

Wife is on a meat kick so I came up with a simple pemmican recipe. Not bad and shelf life = years.

My wife is on a meat and fat diet. 50% grass fed ruminating animal meat, and 50% fat or clarified butter. No sugar or carbs of any kind. She is not overweight though. Apparently she found out that we have been lied to for decades. The food pyramid is upside down. Carbs kill, red meat and fat are good for us. If you don't believe it look around at all the type 1 diabetes. inflammatory issues, and other metabolic disorders folks are experiencing in the last few decades since red meat and fat were condemned.

The following recipe is a food that you can live on with nothing else but water. Energy dense. A 4 oz. serving packs up to 1,000 calories and all the nutrients you need to survive and thrive.

HDSledge's Pemmican Recipe

Measure by weight, not volume.

3 parts beef powder (Grass fed shoulder roast is a good choice. NO feedlot/grain fed beef.)
2 parts Wagyu beef tallow. 50/50 beef/fat is traditional mix but fruit portion helps with flavor. (Any grass fed beef fat rendered down into tallow is gtg.)
1 part powdered blueberries/cranberries/cherries/strawberries. Strawberries leave a slight berry taste after the flavor of the meat has subsided.

Slice meat thin and sprinkle on a good bit of salt, it helps to preserve it. Dry at 120 degrees until crispy/crunchy, very dry. Blend/food process into a fine powder. Same with the fruit. Low heat is important since it preserves the nutrients.

Melt the tallow on low heat. Throw the powders into a bowl, drizzle on the fat while mixing well. Mash it all together, spread out in a pan. Cool in the fridge. Cut into squares or bars.

Lasts forever in the freezer, 5 years or so at room temperature. (Unless you left some moisture in the ingredients. Remember that everything must be bone dry when you add the fat.)

How's it taste?
It won't win any culinary awards wife loves it. I made hers with no fruit, 50/50. Tastes like a meat stick but I like mine a lot better with the fruit. The Wagyu tallow tastes like a bit like bacon, better than some others we tried.

I'm not in on the complete meat regimen like she is but she is fighting some long term inflammation. We will see if it helps. According to some very sharp nutritionists it should.

It won't win any culinary awards wife loves it. I made hers with no fruit, 50/50. Tastes like a meat stick but I like mine a lot better with the fruit. The Wagyu tallow tastes like a bit like bacon, better than some others we tried.

I'm not in on the complete meat regimen like she is but she is fighting some long term inflammation. We will see if it helps. According to some very sharp nutritionists it should.
Good luck to her. Please report back with the results.

As a nonsufferer with inflammation I'll stick with award winning consumables.

That's a traditional staple food for long-distance hikers that need a lot of calories and lightweight rations. Usually, it is mixed with other foods, usually high carb foods.

That's a traditional staple food for long-distance hikers that need a lot of calories and lightweight rations. Usually, it is mixed with other foods, usually high carb foods.
Traditional Native American pemmican was only fat and beef (buffalo, elk, etc.). Other stuff like berries was added for settlers and fur traders for more flavor. The traditional recipe has no flavor appeal, it's for no frills survival.

There was actually a pemmican war over who got to supply the stuff to trappers/fur traders since it was a main food source.

No high carb foods are supposed to be in there. No carbs or sugars, only fat and protein.
Carnivore Bar Blog

I made a batch specifically designed to play a joke on my wife. I call it Poopican. On our last walk I stashed a piece in my pocket and when she was least expecting it I bent over and pretended to pick it up off the ground. Then I took a bite. You should have seen the look on her face.
IMG_5733.jpeg

Last edited:
Traditional Native American pemmican was only fat and beef (buffalo, elk, etc.). Other stuff like berries was added for settlers and fur traders for more flavor. The traditional recipe has no flavor appeal, it's for no frills survival.

There was actually a pemmican war over who got to supply the stuff to trappers/fur traders since it was a main food source.

No high carb foods are supposed to be in there. No carbs or sugars, only fat and protein.
Carnivore Bar Blog
I didn't mean anything was added to the pemmican to make it. But the pemmican was just an ingredient that would be eaten with other foods. For instance a stew could be made with pemmican and potatoes, corn, flour, etc.

I didn't mean anything was added to the pemmican to make it. But the pemmican was just an ingredient that would be eaten with other foods. For instance a stew could be made with pemmican and potatoes, corn, flour, etc.
Ah, yes. Sad to say our visits to various restaurants have dwindled to zero. She won't touch anything but meat and fat. I have to sneak my carbs in on the fly. :)

Fun to hear :)
quite familiar with Pemican

On youtube see if she ever watches a few of these folks
Dr Ken Berry
Dr Shawn Baker
Dr Chaffee
kelly Hogan ( I think her YT is low carb life or something like that)

been carnivore 3+ yrs now insane life changing for me being 59 yr old ! back to my 20-30 yr old body and clothing size etc... incl the abs :) so 5’11” 175-180 lbs my eyes have gotten better or reversing back to the prescription from 15 yrs ago now while my facial hair has not changed color about %50 or more of my head hair color has come back which some have that happen some do not

so besides being in super shape when older no more joint pains no more brain fog just get up and up no more of that OH getting old feeling and warming up the joints anymore :) and the mental clarity is what I find interesting and just feeling so good all the time truly insane life changing

I just eat a lot of meat and butter if eating lean meat but my fat ratio is about %75 fat of my intake so love ribeyes etc... but eat other tend to just eat the ruminant animals the most and some pork and fish on occasion eating like that tend to just have to eat once a day sometimes 2x a day

I also like it super easy no thinking to hard little clean up etc... so that minimalist side of me loves it also

Fun to hear :)
quite familiar with Pemican

On youtube see if she ever watches a few of these folks
Dr Ken Berry
Dr Shawn Baker
Dr Chaffee
kelly Hogan ( I think her YT is low carb life or something like that)

been carnivore 3+ yrs now insane life changing for me being 59 yr old ! back to my 20-30 yr old body and clothing size etc... incl the abs :) so 5’11” 175-180 lbs my eyes have gotten better or reversing back to the prescription from 15 yrs ago now while my facial hair has not changed color about %50 or more of my head hair color has come back which some have that happen some do not

so besides being in super shape when older no more joint pains no more brain fog just get up and up no more of that OH getting old feeling and warming up the joints anymore :) and the mental clarity is what I find interesting and just feeling so good all the time truly insane life changing

I just eat a lot of meat and butter if eating lean meat but my fat ratio is about %75 fat of my intake so love ribeyes etc... but eat other tend to just eat the ruminant animals the most and some pork and fish on occasion eating like that tend to just have to eat once a day sometimes 2x a day

I also like it super easy no thinking to hard little clean up etc... so that minimalist side of me loves it also
Glad to hear your account! My wife has high hopes that inflammation from chemo 12 years ago can be eliminated with this diet. My wife likes Dr. Paul Mason best and Sten Eckberg too and also the people you mentioned above. Kelly has a recipe for carnivore ice cream if you can imagine that.

Glad to hear your account! My wife has high hopes that inflammation from chemo 12 years ago can be eliminated with this diet. My wife likes Dr. Paul Mason best and Sten Eckberg too and also the people you mentioned above. Kelly has a recipe for carnivore ice cream if you can imagine that.
Paul Mason is amazing to listen to :) that low carb down under channel is also very good he is on a lot
he had a good interview with Chaffee recently few weeks ago I think ? Well worth listening to that one
Sten is good to and quite a background he has had !

Quite passionate about health these days so sorry for the long post :) ahahahha

Yeah the carnivore ice cream etc... I try not to eat dairy these days but did in the first year more so but if she does well more power same with spices I use salt only and some do OK with spices so again its that like shaving we all have to find what works for us !
do have a bite of my 2 kids Bday cake but that is about it or might try a bite of wifes Bday treat
but its funny over the years I just dont like the stuff I used to in taste or texture etc... :)

I hope it works out for her would love to hear back here once in a while ! I know again my life was changed radically for joint pain etc... I had a really rough extreme sport life early on with a MX career that destroyed me with many broken bones and knee damage and had a hit so hard I lost my memory for 3 months ! So abused body and yeah its like I am young again and I hope she can have that much change !

OH another one she might already know while not carnivore all the way she is huge on carnivore she does bring in good guests with sometimes opposing view points is Judy Cho
orgot the other gals name optometrist out of NJ I think in her late 50s ? She has some other food stuff on her channel also but she is well known long term carnivore
There are a few that rub me the wrong way though :) hahahaha almost like they are trying to hard ? But oh well could be my age hahahahaha

Again hope it helps her out :)
not sure how long she has been at it but might take a while my main plateau was just over a year but felt better all along the way but did take maybe 3 months to get rolling

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Apparently she found out that we have been lied to for decades. The food pyramid is upside down.

Largely true. The food pyramid indicates what U.S. farmers produce the most of, not what is the best for us to consume. As a former fatty, I think that is 100% true. Some can tolerate the current level of carbs recommended but most can't hence our current obesity epidemic that we tackle by treating the symptoms with blood pressure and diabetes medications.

Don't believe, just eat what someone pre 1975 did and don't worry a darn bit about calories. If it didn't exist in 1975 as part of the ever day diet, you don't eat it. Watch your health come rolling back to you.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I'm trying a Keto-vore plan starting yesterday. I love meat! Zero carb carnivore is beyond my grasp. I'm not going to give up my slice of sourdough toast each morning but other than that, I'm doing OK. Giving up veggies is going to be tough.

I'm trying a Keto-vore plan starting yesterday. I love meat! Zero carb carnivore is beyond my grasp. I'm not going to give up my slice of sourdough toast each morning but other than that, I'm doing OK. Giving up veggies is going to be tough.
Unless its grain free its not “keto” unless its a almond flour or coconut version ?
maybe more Paleo which is fine if it works for ya :)
good to cut out the junk is key best of luck :)
I would say if you can do this for a While ditch the grains for 3 months ! And see how ya feel and try the carnivore !

I fried 3 eggs and several slices of grass fed roast in Wagyu tallow this morning for breakfast. I also had a 16 oz. smoothie from kefir I culture fresh every night, protein powder, and strawberries. I'm used to the whey protein/kefir/fruit smoothies and don't think I can give them up. How bad is it in relation to the goodness of grass fed beef and fat?

I'm going along for the ride but still dive into chips/onion cream cheese dip once in a while, pizza, kefir, etc. Strange thing is now that I eat mostly meat and fat the other stuff seems to make me lethargic and tired, except for the kefir which I jolt with 2 shots of concentrated coffee. Your body gives clear signals when you are eating what it needs, and even clearer signals when you don't.

Just finished drying 3.5 pounds of sliced roast. Going to grind it up today and add the Wagyu tallow for a fresh batch of pemmican. Got some fruit (blueberries/strawberries/pineapple) I dried last week and may leave that a bit chunky for texture in my batch. Wife wants hers 50/50 meat/fat as usual. We told ourselves we would keep the pemmican in the freezer for emergencies but we can't stop eating it. :)

My brain dump thoughts :)

I started keto so kinda had a few months of training cutting out the stuff so the cravings when I went to carnivore were already kinda gone !

Also my first few months of carnivore I did more dairy than I should have but like you hard to just go cold turkey and did have an occasional keto treat usually mac nuts or pistachios or some of that keto/carnivore ice cream and would kinda notice after I ate that I should not have usually kinda hit the gut like a cramp and some histamine response and some brain fog and sometimes even notice joint pain coming back a touch after sleeping

heck I even tested dairy a bunch every year and found it did effect me ! Now the funny thing was it did not effect me as much early on say in the first year and then in the 2nd it was more and by 3rd year I just no to say NO !
I have tried goat cheese and it effects me the least and might see about testing that again this summer as just a condiment to some meat once in a while :)

instead of saying I became more sensitive which I do not think
its more the case I became so in shape that I noticed that negative hit a bit more so you might be fine for now and slowly try to get away from it ? and then later say 6 months try to quit and see how ya feel you might notice it more If you started them back up or at least I would notice that more when I started something again ?
Then it just becomes is that negative hit in feeling worth it for the few seconds it taste good :)

Since you said you kinda feel it already :)

My coffee story :) I was espresso nut like commercial machine in the house kinda guy as in my espresso machine was delivered on a pallet and could not fit on the counter since it was to large kinda espresso nerd !

I tried to stop in the first year coffee and did not notice any difference then going into the 2nd tried to again and got the headache withdrawal and so on and did not notice much difference so started back up just cut way back to feel a bit less of the negative
then going into that 3rd year I said Ok test again and WOW I quit and next day was waiting for the headaches etc.. and had no headache no withdrawal no cravings was really strange I just quit and that was it ?
So my test was after a month I had a coffee and yeah I could really tell it hit my gut and my mental clarity feel did go down a touch and could kinda get this fuzzy feel in my head or lack of clarity I had hard to put in words
so one more month later another coffee and WOW even more a notice could feel my mental clarity go down a touch and the hit to my gut and histamine response was quite a bit more and thought OK I can really tell
but then 3rd month and had another coffee and 2 sips and down the drain ! Since then I have had a sip of my wifes coffee twice I think and yeah its familiar and I know the flavor but do not like it as I know the negative side
then for one year mark I did make a coffee and was like that 3rd month really bad histamine response and huge gut hit really bad and could just feel the caffeine hitting me in a really negative way so have not had one since and no plans to would I get a espresso some day again somewhere ? Maybe but doubt it just no desire anymore but the important thing no addiction no wanting and NO MISSING it !

I would say that loosing all cravings and desire took me maybe a year and at two years its easy to just say no

IMHO the pizza and chips are what will do the more harm to ya as that inflammatory response I have heard can take a while to heal back so its like someone hitting your body hard enough to bruise a moment in the hit but the residual lasts and slowly goes away ?

reckon after time you might be able to give them up and just be OK as you go down this journey
if you are ever trying to loose weight the dairy is often the culprit

the dairy besides butter is a controversial thing for sure with folks :)
I do think as a once in a while treat condiment its Ok for folks if they are OK with it but again this is so personal !

As we know milk meant to raise little animals to huge ones as quick as possible and most animals in nature wont keep taking it
Again life balance what you like how does it effect oneself is what I say and being 59 feeling so good I want to keep this insane feeling I have now and nothing is worth that feeling super good vs a short term taste anymore and anyway I love meat so much I look forward to eating it every day

I can say shaving might have taken place of my espresso ritual of the morning grinding tamping etc. as those things we do as a hobby that take over are part of our lives

Sorry for the long babble but again passionate about sharing these days

I upgraded my recipe (wife still only wants 50% beef/tallow) and added nuts and anti-inflammatory fruits. This batch has sliced almonds, walnuts, pecans, dried fruit including cherries, blueberries, strawberries. I bought dried cherries on Amazon (no additives), they were soft. I was surprised how much moisture is left in supposedly already dried cherries. So I dried them again in my dehydrator until they were hard when cool, about a day.5 at 128. I froze them and put them in the Ninja blender which shattered them into small pieces.

I measured by weight about 33% each grass fed shoulder beef, Wagyu tallow, and fruit. I stopped adding fat when the mix was thoroughly mushy, consistency of thick oatmeal.

This batch should be shelf stable, no idea how long but I put a chunk in the cabinet to test. The rest will keep forever in the freezer.
IMG_5900.jpeg

Forgot to add some details for you folks who like the science behind the scene: Strawberries have citric acid which inhibits bacteria. The cherries have malic acid which is also antibacterial, a preservative, as well as helps with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. In this recipe you get a strong fruity flavor from those two acids. Nuts provide protein, B vitamins, vitamin E and minerals, including iron, potassium, selenium, magnesium, zinc and copper.

Downside to nuts is oxalates :)
also they can go rancid fairly quick for any longer term storage testing :)
so they might be OK for short but wont be like regular pemican for that reason reckon ya might know that so please read with a smile as just fun conversation :)

but good job and healthier snack than anything ya can buy from a store

Downside to nuts is oxalates :)
also they can go rancid fairly quick for any longer term storage testing :)
so they might be OK for short but wont be like regular pemican for that reason reckon ya might know that so please read with a smile as just fun conversation :)

but good job and healthier snack than anything ya can buy from a store
I will leave the nuts out next time based on this info. Will eat the nutty ones within a month or 2, I only made a couple pounds for this batch. Wondering how much the fruit will affect shelf life outside the freezer.

Top Bottom