What's new

New Fatip Grande

I use a straight razor every day, but on the rare occasion when I’m really pressed for time or sometimes as a travel option I have a Muhle R41.
This was my first DE razor and I used it exclusively for over a year before I started on straights and got amazing shaves from it.
But after a few years using straights I found I could no longer get a good shave from my R41.
It was plenty sharp enough but it always seemed to leave cuts, weepers and stinginess so I kept my eye open for a very slightly less aggressive option.
I read a little and it seemed that a Fatip may fit the bill.
I liked the look of the Grande open comb in gold so I ordered one and it arrived today.
137B0752-FC4E-4DD8-A84F-B2840BF7C63F.jpeg

I’d heard there were manufacturing issues with Fatip razors but mine is perfect, it has a great old school look and I really like the gold. The handle is a little shorter than my R41 but pleasantly chunky, light, well balanced and very manageable.
I loaded a Nacet blade, used a little Proraso Green preshave, face lathered some G F Trumpers Sandalwood cream with a 22mm Yaqi Segrada Famillia badger and got started.
What a great shave I got, exactly what I was looking for.
Ever so slightly milder than the R41 but still ruthless enough to go through my dense beard.
No cuts, weepers etc just a beautiful smooth shave.
At times it didn’t even feel like it was cutting but my face told a different story.
I had a nice splash of Taylor’s Sandalwood aftershave to finish.
This is the first DE shave I’ve had in maybe a year, and I’ll always use straights as my daily shave but it’s great to know I have something like this in my kit for emergencies.

I’d heard there were manufacturing issues with Fatip razors but mine is perfect
Same here. I just received a chrome Piccolo Gentile yesterday, and I am kicking myself for not starting out with these cheaper razors first. It has perfect blade alignment and overall finish. I had a great Fatip first shave today with its feel and performance being similar to my Gillette ball end Tech. I may have some stainless and aluminum razors in the BST sooner than later.

Just curious, is the Grande handle hollow with a hole at the bottom? It must be as it weighs less than my 42125 model.

Your picture is great!

Last edited:
I have used a Fatip Piccolo a lot over the years. That smallish razor works really well for me and it seems like it was one of the first ones I got when I returned to wet shaving after a bad Merkur experience and gave up for a few years. Years later, tried again with much better results with the Piccolo and an Edwin Jagger 89!

In terms of aggression, it is nowhere near my R41 which I think might be an earlier more aggressive version. Fatip doesn't get much love generally but, their razors seem to be competitive with models costing a lot more out of Europe and the USA/Canada.

About the only negative thing I can say is that handle/top-cap threading is different from most razors so, handle changes are not as easy as they could be.

Same here. I just received a chrome Piccolo Gentile yesterday, and I am kicking myself for not starting out with these cheaper razors first. It has perfect blade alignment and overall finish. I had a great Fatip first shave today with its feel and performance being similar to my Gillette ball end Tech. I may have some stainless and aluminum razors in the BST sooner than later.

Just curious, is the Grande handle hollow with a hole at the bottom? It must be as it weighs less than my 42125 model.

Your picture is great!
Hi yes the handle is hollow, feels goood and well balanced. I think I paid £20 for my Fatip a bargain.

Reactions: Kix
I have used a Fatip Piccolo a lot over the years. That smallish razor works really well for me and it seems like it was one of the first ones I got when I returned to wet shaving after a bad Merkur experience and gave up for a few years. Years later, tried again with much better results with the Piccolo and an Edwin Jagger 89!

In terms of aggression, it is nowhere near my R41 which I think might be an earlier more aggressive version. Fatip doesn't get much love generally but, their razors seem to be competitive with models costing a lot more out of Europe and the USA/Canada.

About the only negative thing I can say is that handle/top-cap threading is different from most razors so, handle changes are not as easy as they could be.
The Fatip family get an outpouring of love on B&B.

(Fatip) Piccolo Lovers Club: PLC - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/fatip-piccolo-lovers-club-plc.487348/

F.O.C.S. Fiends - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/f-o-c-s-fiends.594919/

And many, many more special guest appearences on numerous threads.

I think for many people, the R41 Muhle feels more aggressive than the Fatip Grande or the Piccolo because the R41 holds the blade almost perpendicular to your face which gives it the feeling of being more aggressive. When it really is just a harsher feeling than the Fatip. Not a smooth shave.

I think for many people, the R41 Muhle feels more aggressive than the Fatip Grande or the Piccolo because the R41 holds the blade almost perpendicular to your face which gives it the feeling of being more aggressive. When it really is just a harsher feeling than the Fatip. Not a smooth shave.

I bleed more from my R41 than I do from my Piccolo. This however may be due to owning the Piccolo for many years and the R41 being a fairly new acquisition.

I bleed more from my R41 than I do from my Piccolo. This however may be due to owning the Piccolo for many years and the R41 being a fairly new acquisition.
As you pointed out, you may own one of the earlier R41 razors. They started to make them not as aggressive in 2013 I believe.
I never liked the way they felt while shaving. Never smooth.

As you pointed out, you may own one of the earlier R41 razors. They started to make them not as aggressive in 2013 I believe.
I never liked the way they felt while shaving. Never smooth.
My R41 was purchased gently used so, I can't really confirm the date of original manufacture. However, it is very aggressive for me but, it is serving me well when I need something like that after not shaving for a few days. People comment that the Muhle Rocca is close to the R41 but, for me, they are a world apart which suggests it is in fact an earlier more aggressive model.

In the daily shave routine, the R41 tends to bite hard with any minor mistakes.

Top Bottom